PK-8 Gloster Gladiator

In my stash I have a Revell boxing of the MB Gladiator which was on of the first kits they did. The Revell box art looks suspiciously similar to that of the Hawker Fury. 

resized_ccfb8759-70f8-4142-94eb-404cfa90

Sprues reveal a relatively nicely moulded aircraft, with minimal flash for a kit of its age. 

resized_b923468f-cdbd-4124-a6b5-b5570b86

Typical Matchbox/Revell instructions with one set of transfers for a pre war RAF machine from Kenley. I'll dig out some Sea Gladiator transfers for a prewar FAA machine. 

resized_8ccaa436-f106-430c-bd86-dc486ad3

And here here is the provenance moulded on the fuselage interior. 1973 introduced, so not bad for a 44 year old. Already got some paint on. 

resized_27e7e8c5-fcb5-43e5-8dd5-27511714

• Like 5

There is an interior of sorts, a floor and chair. A seat seems generous, it looks like a chair. But not control column or IP and the space behind the seat is a void.

resized_6f58ffe5-89fa-44fe-96aa-28688c29

Closed up the fuselage and added a shelf behind the seat and blocked off the bulkhead area for trimming tomorrow. I'll add some radio equipment shape here as well. Seat belts from Tamiya tape and a wire control column and plastic card IP

resized_eb4d0afd-e647-4ba4-82c0-5ea66829

• Like 7

I fondly recall building this kit, which ended up all painted in blobs of Humbrol's finest #11 Silver Fox (the real stuff) and using the kits original 73 Squadron decals.

I have always thought that this was a great Matchbox model and reckon with a little work here and there can still scrub up well.

I think Revell have done us all a big favour by keeping these moulds in circulation and this versions 3 Squadron marking look pretty cool as well.

Cheers and we'll keep an eye on this one.... Dave   

Good call on this, I always thought it was the best Gladiator kit in 1/72 till the new tool Airfix one arrived. Even so, I've not felt the need to sell any on, I'm still happy to build it so I'm keen to see what you can do with it.

Steve.

On ‎04‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:25 PM, 825 said:

There is an interior of sorts, a floor and chair. A seat seems generous, it looks like a chair. But not control column or IP and the space behind the seat is a void.

resized_6f58ffe5-89fa-44fe-96aa-28688c29

Isn't that the lower fuselage of the HobbyBoss kit at the top of the photo?

Chris

7 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Isn't that the lower fuselage of the HobbyBoss kit at the top of the photo?

Chris

It is indeed and I'm doing it in the radial rocks GB. Thought I'd build them alongside each other. 

• Like 2

Put a bit of a spurt on. Fuselage finished off with coming and lower wings and tail planes on. Joints are great and no filler see yet, only some light sanding. First coat of Sky Grey on. 

resized_c2000918-f7b9-4e6c-89cd-e06439bc

resized_6ae28997-8284-4b59-a73f-2804982a

I had planned to finish in prewar Cerrux grey and Aluminium dope but unfortunately could not find any transfers in my stash. There is one set in a Sword kit I've got but it's the same one from the Wings and Waves transfer sheet and I did an old Airfix kit as this a couple of years ago. So from all the TSS I could do I rather liked this option. 

resized_3dec05c2-f9b9-43fd-9eca-69b41254

• Like 7

21 hours ago, stevehnz said:

So you'd have a arrestor hook & dinghy fairing to scratch build too? That is an attractive scheme & slightly different enough to look good in any collection.

Steve.

The dinghy fairing was detachable, I believe so will probably omit that. I've got some Aeroclub arrestor hooks somewhere and should be able to use one of them. The scheme is nice. 

6 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Might I inquire about the publication that contains the profile? It looks like something I need for my reference library.

Chris

Chris, the profile is from the sheet of transfers which I believe is one of the Wings and Waves sets from Aviation Workshop as was. I think Hannants took over some of their range when they went under. I'm away at the moment so will have to check on my return. Hope that's OK. 

• Like 1

Looking good,

Here is a pic of the real N5500,......I`d always assumed that it was overall silver with silver applied over the previous number on the carrier band,....and never seen it portrayed in camo before;

Image result for n5500 sea gladiator

The shadows along the stringers, gun troughs and engine nacelle joint make it hard to decide one way or the other!

It does have the recessed hook with the supports on either side though, and the dinghy pack.

Good luck mate,

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2017 at 4:57 PM, tonyot said:

Looking good,

Here is a pic of the real N5500,......I`d always assumed that it was overall silver with silver applied over the previous number on the carrier band,....and never seen it portrayed in camo before;

Image result for n5500 sea gladiator

The shadows along the stringers, gun troughs and engine nacelle joint make it hard to decide one way or the other!

It does have the recessed hook with the supports on either side though, and the dinghy pack.

Good luck mate,

Tony

Thanks for the photo Tony, it does throw the cat up amongst the pigeons somewhat. It definitely looks like there may be camouflage on the upperworks, the rear of the fuselage is relatively shadow free and it looks like darker colours on the top there. However as you say the shadows and lines make it difficult to say for sure. They also make it difficult to determine where a demarcation would be. It's also not clear whether the lighter colour is Aluminium dope/Cerux Grey or sky grey. Sometimes there's a sheen that suggests Aluminium and other parts look quite flat. Though the former carrier ID stripe is there. I didn't think that training aircraft would retain the arrestor hook and dinghy pack but they are clearly there. I think I'll canabilise a Sword Sea Gladiator for these. (If that's permitted in the GB, time is running out for scratch building.)

• Like 1

Some, well a lot, of paint on. Nearly all done before Tony's photo has created a quandary. 

resized_745137c3-db8c-4d90-874f-6b72753c

resized_a0101deb-fced-46ce-87bb-cf4ce781

Before removing the masking tape, and masking did take a bit of time I had to repaint the side with the mid fuselage demarcation as per the transfer sheet instructions and not quite done yet. But is it right now, we ask? Need to add to add on the rudder, engine and a few bits still while thinking of what to do. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Hard to make a call either way but if I was you, I'd carry on as I was lacking any definitive evidence to the contrary. Its looking good to my eye.

Steve.

Ive decided to stick with the camouflage and the mid fuselage demarcation. The notes with the transfers say that the aircraft was one of the original batch of Sea Gladiators and was initially on HMS Courageous before moving to 769 Squadron at RNAS Donibristle and were used for deck landing training on HMS Furious. So an arrestor hook would be pretty essential and the dinghy pack more than a little bit useful. 

Here's where we are now with engine on, underwing guns and undercarriage legs. Top

resized_efe02356-cacf-47e3-b1a2-a92cbf0d

and bottom

resized_709b0d06-65c3-4ad6-a313-d50b97a3

There is a bit of a seam on the underside on the wing joint but I'll live with it. 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Hard to make a call either way but if I was you, I'd carry on as I was lacking any definitive evidence to the contrary. Its looking good to my eye.

Steve.

For a mould that is 40 year old the canopy is rather nice. It was pretty shiny but I gave it a dip in Kleer anyway. 

resized_7a828e5d-fb03-423f-830a-4d57dd58

• Like 2

Just realised I've got the paint colours the wrong way round on the upper wing and fuselage. Cue a bit of a repaint. Luckily a first coat of Dark Slate Grey over Extra Dark Sea Grey is slightly different from the finished Dark Slate Grey so it wasn't too difficult. The big problem was I spotted as I was adding the upper wing roundels. I have managed to slide them off and back onto the backing paper. We'll see if they are OK later on  

resized_0d28d58b-30f1-44cc-9582-a3280b3a

Once tidied up I'll get the transfers on. I'm currently masking the canopy and that's a slow painstaking job. 

• Like 3

A bit more done.

resized_be750e80-4ccf-49ae-ad08-595fe166

and a masked canopy that has required a bit of filling with Krystal Kleer. I found out when doing my Hobbyboss version for the radials rock GB that it's best to sort out the canopy before putting the upper wing on

resized_27664057-1025-4292-a4ea-dd461a1b

I'm a little worried the canopy is a bit squint slightly over to the starboard. I'll have another look in better light

• Like 5

On 11/26/2017 at 8:55 PM, 825 said:

Just realised I've got the paint colours the wrong way round on the upper wing and fuselage. Cue a bit of a repaint. Luckily a first coat of Dark Slate Grey over Extra Dark Sea Grey is slightly different from the finished Dark Slate Grey so it wasn't too difficult. The big problem was I spotted as I was adding the upper wing roundels. I have managed to slide them off and back onto the backing paper. We'll see if they are OK later on  

Once tidied up I'll get the transfers on. I'm currently masking the canopy and that's a slow painstaking job. 

If you've got some Future/Klear, try bedding the decals in that, maybe dilute it a bit , +/- 30% to giving more working time, a pool where the decal id to go, wick away the excess with a paper towel & then a cotton bud to roll the excess from under the decal. If the decal moves, more  dilute Klear & use a stiffish brush, about #2 size to lift the edge of the decal to get some more Klear under it & reposition, then wick & roll again. Once bedded, the Klear will act as an adhesive for the decals. I've had this work for me just fine.

Steve.

17 hours ago, stevehnz said:

If you've got some Future/Klear, try bedding the decals in that, maybe dilute it a bit , +/- 30% to giving more working time, a pool where the decal id to go, wick away the excess with a paper towel & then a cotton bud to roll the excess from under the decal. If the decal moves, more  dilute Klear & use a stiffish brush, about #2 size to lift the edge of the decal to get some more Klear under it & reposition, then wick & roll again. Once bedded, the Klear will act as an adhesive for the decals. I've had this work for me just fine.

Steve.

Thanks for the tip Steve. I've used Kleer before for transfers but not quite like this. Really helpful. It'll be a few days before I get there though. Tomorrow is St Andrews Day so there will be time for celebration but not for transfer laying. And Friday is our department's Christmas party. So not much will be done before the weekend. Thanks again. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Starting to get the transfers on

resized_3ba6c8da-d912-4309-8fe9-9986022f

resized_c2264c06-2922-40a7-b8c7-be0ba63c

resized_696f3633-e794-4731-908b-9f0b90c4

And some more. I think I've got away with my upper wing roundels mishap

resized_91bac632-2ab4-46e3-8d3b-1afffc3a

• Like 4