Avro Shackleton AEW.2, Revell

Chaps, a very interesting discussion and extremely helpful - thank you all. It's true that they look different in different light, and of course varying degrees of unkemptness, so I guess either wouldn't be wildly inaccurate. 

Thanks for clarifying the official colour, I've ordered the satin dark sea grey spray can.

• Like 1

I had a look around for these for you

ShackletonAEW2_8Sqn_RAF_1982.jpeg

©U.S. DefenseImagery

Wessex_day2_010.jpg©anybody's, I took it and anyone can 'ave it

it is true

these colours are both EDSG but the very saturated 'in flight' colour looks much blue-er than mine so fade is possible/probable

Bottom line, enjoy the build of a great and fascinating aeroplane

• Like 3

Superb build Perdu, especially given the lack of AEW options available at the time.

I honestly think the EDSG thing comes from the finish of the aircraft,  when new or refurbished/painted they were finished in polyurethane gloss which seems to darken the look of the DSG.  Lighting also has its part to play of course.

I had a good look through my slides, and though the lightness of the finish varies over time the tone of the colour does appear as DSG.

This was WL795 just after it was repainted (fuselage and tail) with a can of the correct DSG

6466087213_e09a025810_b.jpgShackleton WL795 02 June 06 by James Thomas, on Flickr

WR963 in overcast weather, note the gloss finish

8539395755_e7cef11e19_b.jpgShackleton AEW.2 WR963 8 Sqn 8 Mar 89 by James Thomas, on Flickr

My rendition in H164 DSG

27244666964_0395688952_b.jpgRevell 1/72 Shackleton AEW.2 by James Thomas, on Flickr

Of course relying on pictures on the net isn't always great, especially given the tonal variations and monitor settings etc

• Like 4

That looks superb! The Shack is such a stunning looking aircraft isn’t it. Very interesting subject to model with all of its extraneous bits and pieces. 

I’m hoping the satin finish will look ok.

• Like 1

Yes I know, however I do remember all the pictures and articles on Shacks in service gave ESDG as 'the colour scheme' the problem these days is that any modern search has to delve through acres of verbiage on new build models, for some reason

Mine is definitely EDSG because I still had the dried out can from Humbrol Authentics until recently and that model beat the entire class in the Nationals that year

Even made it into Alan Hall's hand in Aviation News, so I feel a bit proprietorial for AEW2s

I do get your point, Steve's too

Colours do get changed on an airframe, just quietly sitting 

😃

• Like 2

Starting to look like a Shack now ...

20zd45g.jpg

Just a bit of filler needed on the wing roots, but other than that it all joins well, so far!

c5c2q.jpg

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 5

Finally ready for spraying the main colour.

White interior bits first ...

23s67g3.jpg

ff38m9.jpg

Windows masked with Blu-tack. Much cheaper than those Eduard masks! ...

2w1trwk.jpg

Starting to look more like it now! Dark sea grey satin spray applied ...

34eripc.jpg

• Like 4

On 11/11/2017 at 9:59 AM, stever219 said:

James I'm very envious of your rendition of WL795: more pictures please!  I need some mojo-boost to get my pair of MR. 2s done.

Thank you Steve, correction and additions to the build are here, http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234998496-avro-shackleton-aew-mk-2-details/&page=4

and the link to the RFI here, http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235004574-revell-shackleton-aew2-bitsa-1st-rfi/&tab=comments#comment-2397271

I was very lucky to have worked on the real '95.

Re the MR.2s, I'm guessing you are building the Airfix ones?  I really struggled with that kit, it sapped my mojo and still have not got round to finishing it, here, http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235000917-shackleton-mr1-t4-conversion-from-airfix-mr2-1st-wip/&tab=comments#comment-2328144

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

Very nice result there. 

Hope you don't mind me pointing it out, but that very aft window doesn't exist on the Mk.2, just a simple case of painting over it, or a skim of filler if really fussy!

Oh thanks, I'll cover that one up then! 

kvwba.jpg

• Like 1

Construction almost complete! Just the tail window and a couple of underwing aerials, oh and the black cotton for the wires! Any tips on that, anyone?

I'll probably wait 'til after I've done the decals before attempting the wires anyway.

51ouap.jpgve7uw0.jpgiz1ap0.jpg2zeywba.jpg

• Like 2

Do wait to finish everything else before you add the aerial wires

Unless you want to practice putting on aerials  ;)

I prefer to stretch sprue for aerials and for the Shack  I would advise using some black or very dark grey sprue if you have it

Never use cotton, it is far too thick and hairy and if you mean thread such as nylon thread do make sure one end is firmly attached before you run to the other end

I use Formula  560 Cockpit Glue for this job, touch the length of stretch to a little puddle of the glue and take it to the fin

Touch it to the aerial location point and let it set, it is fairly quick drying and you will not have to hold it there for long

Then a little dab of the glue atop the aerial post and keeping the sprue taut touch it onto the post and let it dry too

Then trim the excess off at the post with nail clippers which let you get in close and trim tidily

That is how I do it, hope that helps you

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1