Westland Lynx - Qatar Police markings (and colours)

Blimpyboy

Hello all,

I am converting the Airfix 1/48 Lynx AH.7 to a Lynx HC.28, as used by the Qatari Police.

From what little pictures I can find, it seems that the aircraft were painted in a blue and white colour scheme. However, the only profile I can find of QP32 (here: http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/83/pics/87_o_1.jpg) shows the serial number placed in a different location to that on this photograph: https://static.wixstatic.com/media/bd2383_2937f6d8ba1549eea3fc62ff6e3c1272.jpg_srz_735_433_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz.

The photograph has a dark over-painted strip on the tail boom, which I assume once had "Qatar Police" or similar wording, while the serial number appears to have been on the vertical fin (but is possibly over-painted in a dark colour in the photograph).

Does anyone have any other pictures of Qatari Police Lynxes, or have any information regarding the markings painted on these aircraft?

Thanks very much in advance for any assistance.

13 minutes ago, Britman said:

That's a new one for me. How many did they have?

I've only seen Qatar being referred to as an operator in the Orbis Warplane part work which mentions, in the same article, both two and three aircraft being in service.

On 04/11/2017 at 10:49 AM, Blimpyboy said:

Does anyone have any other pictures of Qatari Police Lynxes, or have any information regarding the markings painted on these aircraft?

Unfortunately the only picture of the Lynx in Qatari service that I've ever seen is the profile artwork that you have linked to.

Good luck though: it sounds like an interesting project.

Edited by Richard E

Take a look on the Modern section - Lynx7 covers Qatari Lynx in the pinned thread Army Lynx

Edited by GordonM

I took these at Lyneham in March 1990: three Qatar Police machines at Air Cargo imports on their way back to the UK. Aircraft were QP30, 32 and 31 (from L-R). As I recall they had simple markings with QP-30 (etc) on the tail and the numbers repeated on the nose (areas sprayed black in photos). Boom carried "Qatar Police" (not sure if that was the exact text) wording and little else. Wings Palette scheme seems to be conjectural and probably based on conjecture. Wish I'd taken more photos!

Lyneham 13Mar90 QP30-QP32-QP31

This is QP-31:

Lyneham 13Mar90 QP31

• Like 1

Hello again all,

Thanks so much for your replies and your help. Thanks especially for the pictures, too - they are gold!

Building will commence in the next week or so, and I hope to keep a running log in the work in progress area.

Thanks again

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Well, I'm finally at the point where this project is about to begin in earnest!

Luckily, I managed to find some fairly definitive pictures of Qatari Police Lynxes, courtesy of an example being refurbished at the Newark Air Museum.

I do have more questions about Qatari Police birds:

1. I've read that they were fitted with external flotation gear on the fuselage, behind the door - does anybody have any pictures of flotation gear fitted to Army Lynxes?

2. What colours would the rotors have been - the same as British Army/Royal Marines birds, or different?

3. I've read, in my ancient copy of Scale Aircraft Modelling from July 1984, that the blue was Azure Blue BS.381C/104 - is this correct or would it have been a darker colour (I can't tell from the photos below)?

DwOnhCLWwAAAmZE?format=jpg&name=medium

DwOnhCGXcAEMDyI?format=jpg&name=medium

DwOnhCLWkAAoh0k?format=jpg&name=medium

For those interested, more information and pictures can be found here: http://www.newarkairmuseum.org/Lynx_Arrives and https://twitter.com/hashtag/LynxQP31rebuild?src=hashtag_click 

BB

Edited by Blimpyboy
  • Like 1