Airfix F-80C Shooting Star

Hello mates!     (there are 5 pictures, trisonic albeback52 answered faster as i could write :shocked: i know, i´m a little slow modeller

This is my small Korean mud mover of 1952. My small Star is a real sex bomb to me. She is quite old, i built her in 2002 with some eduard etch and cannulas instead of cannons. But real beauty never fades, even in 1:72.

I never did a shoot with her, so nobody knows her until now. I hope, she is also nice to you..

f80c_9d917f80c_9dk917

f80c_9dk9ä17f80c_9dgh917f80c_9dk17

Edited by replicant
embedding picture problem
  • Like 60

On 2.11.2017 at 04:53, 72modeler said:

Is that 8th FBG F-80 the Sword or the Airfix kit? Either way, it's a beaut! My father was with the 8th during Korea, so their Mustangs, Sabres, and Shooting Stars are near and dear to my heart.

Mike 

This is also for Mike, if you all like i have some more Korea jets left

Edited by replicant
embedding picture problem

R,

Oh, my goodness! I would have not known this was the old Airfix kit- what a magnificent job, and an 80th FS 8th FBG F-80 on top of that! Thanks for taking the time and trouble to shoot the photos and share them with us! Now, how about Col Walter Benz's F-86F-10 'The Dirty Old Man,' or Col. Woodrow Wilmot's F-86F-30 'Miss Teena?' They were both C.O.'s of the 8th and had very colorful Sabres- see below. My father was with the 8th in Korea and Col. Wilmot was a guest at our home on many occasions and I had the thrill of sitting in his Sabre and wearing his helmet  at an Armed Forces Day display in '55 when I was seven! I treasure that photo! Keep 'em coming!

Mike

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/328410997805354640/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is nice. 

The Airfix F-80 is actually a lovely model and one of their best from the original pre-Hornby era. Yes, it has raised lines but it goes together really well and has some nice internal detail.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi again! 

Looking at at your images over and over is making me think I should pull an Airfix one out of the pile and apply cement! ;) .... And filler, of course! ;)

Martin

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

From memory (I built an AIrfix F-80 around 1980), it didn't require massive amounts of filler. Airfix kits released in the period 1973 to 1980 were pretty good.

You are right, of course. It was a tongue in cheek comment. ;).

Martin

• Like 1

12 hours ago, old thumper said:

Absolutely spot on that is, lovely job.

If you enjoy building old Airfix kits then don't forget to vote for Airfix the Golden Years in the 2018 group build poll.

Thank you and all other guys! You are really perfect motivators! I have tons of Airfix in my stash, just started my little Airfix Harrier and there will be a small Matchbox Hunter (Kitbash) too!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, replicant said:

Thank you and all other guys! You are really perfect motivators! I have tons of Airfix in my stash, just started my little Airfix Harrier and there will be a small Matchbox Hunter (Kitbash) too!

You could join the Matchbox group build with the Hunter, it is open until February if you fancy joining us. Best of luck building all those kits.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2017 at 10:27 AM, Albeback52 said:

This is a very decent little kit despite its age. A pity Airfix has not seen fit to re issue it

Allan

It does seem odd that they haven't.  One of their best kits from their golden period before the decline set in and better than some of their early kits from the renaissance.   I remember when this kit was first produced and rushed out with my pocket money to get one.  It had the added advantage of being in 'silver' plastic which negated the need for paint (for an 8 year old me at least).  It had some great Roy Cross artwork.  Their F-86D kit is another one that hasn't seen the light of day for a long time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, replicant said:

With the sky high quality of your work it would be great to see your Airfix Harrier going together - will you be doing a WIP thread.  I for one would love to see the way you work - with special emphasis on painting / shading techniques.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

It does seem odd that they haven't.  One of their best kits from their golden period before the decline set in and better than some of their early kits from the renaissance.   I remember when this kit was first produced and rushed out with my pocket money to get one.  It had the added advantage of being in 'silver' plastic which negated the need for paint (for an 8 year old me at least).  It had some great Roy Cross artwork.  Their F-86D kit is another one that hasn't seen the light of day for a long time.

And the third in that trio of classic USAF jets is their F-84F Thunderstreak. All lovely.

I'd also mention their Douglas Skyray and F2H Banshee.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

And the third in that trio of classic USAF jets is their F-84F Thunderstreak. All lovely.

I'd also mention their Douglas Skyray and F2H Banshee.

Absolutely.  I seem to remember the Banshee being very well received at the time.   Airfix did a lot of USN types in those days.  I remember the Viking and the A-7 which had a whole stack of bombs to sling under it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Absolutely.  I seem to remember the Banshee being very well received at the time.   Airfix did a lot of USN types in those days.  I remember the Viking and the A-7 which had a whole stack of bombs to sling under it.

The A-7 is slightly older (1970 or so) so It's not quite to the same standard. The Viking was nice (although I never built it).

• Like 1