Hawker Sea Fury FB 11 canopy shape

Max89

I'm trying to get the canopy for the Hawker Sea Fury FB 11 just right, but I'm having trouble finding pictures of it looking straight down the front or back. The best I've been able to find is the below, and it shows that the canopy bulges/bubbles out a little from the base. Is this accurate?

BkOPOD1.jpg

Edited by Max89

11 hours ago, Max89 said:

I think this one might:

8956178-evora-portugal--september-19-200

Do you think it bulges outwards at the base similar to the picture in my original post?

It appears to me, but I'm probably wrong, that in some Sea Fury photos the sliding hood seems to flare out a lot more than in others- I don't know if this is because the original hoods were not as 'blown' as a new-tool hood, due to better molding machinery and materials nowadays, or some other reason. P-51D, F-86F, and F4U-4/5/7 canopies also had the 'fishbowl' shape and the bubble did bulge out quite a bit from the base. I do know it's very difficult for an injected kit canopy to be molded with a significant bubble or flare due to the limitations of the molding process, but slide molds now seem to be able to achieve this, with a very faint raised line on the injected canopy that is easily polished out, F-14, F-16, and F-18 injected canopies are examples of this. Dunno if this helps or muddies the waters- sorry!

Mike

3 hours ago, hacker said:

l think they use the same canopies as the Typhoon and the Tempest but l could be wrong

Hacker......Is it the weekend yet?

You are correct. And it is the weekend, here at least. 

CT

• 4 weeks later...