HMS Belfast

salmo G

Hi Robgizlu

The blue sea colour is Dalar Rowney acrylic phthalo blue applied with a large brush and coated with acrylic varnish (still needs another couple of coats), I have mixed in a little white in some areas to create a slighter shade, the much lighter minty green/blue shades are various enamal xtracolor aircraft paints airbrushed on. Once the ships are finally glued in place (which i will do before installing masts and rigging) I will add cotton wool to highlight the bow wave/wake etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Due to personal circumstances not had much time at the bench lately, however managed a few hours in the last few days.

Cranes are assembled from the Flyhawk set (and in my opinion these are the best available) half the carley floats are painted, finished and installed and the central deckhouses have nearly all been completed however the one with the rear funnel is simply resting in place at the moment. About half the boats are also complete and awaiting fixing in place. front funnel is almost complete just the funnel cap to modify and fit and i hope to have to this in place by the end of the weekend.

Its getting close to the point where I need to add Belfast at least to the base and finish the cottonwool effect. Once thats done I am on the final leg with only the 4" guns, pompoms, masts, rigging, figures and a few bits n pieces left to complete.

39865918432_034a8b3469_k.jpg39865918362_c0f6e4a43c_k.jpg38999518735_e90ee573bf_k.jpg

• Like 9

Looking good!

...those cranes...wow!

I'd imagine the paddles would be tied securely to the carley floats and I think they're a bit over scale they look more like oars than paddles.

Tom

Hi Modelholic

your right they look like oars because they are oars...... couldn't find any suitable paddles so used some oars from a white ensign set, should really have cut the blades down but was feeling lazy! there should also probably be more than 2 per float and yes they should be fixed in place, i am happy with them in an artistic way, may try a bit harder with my next model (this is the first time i'25043774197_13e0d81064_k.jpgve added paddles (sorry oars lol) to the floats.

Also got the 4" ammo railways knocked up, not brilliant but much better than either trumpeter or flyhawks one dimensional attempts (cant help thinking these could have been easily created in PE and look brilliant, think Flyhawk missed a trick here)

Hi Sal82

Straps for floats are simple tamiya masking tape, probably much too wide in reality but looks better to my eye than them being attached via some advanced anti gravity devices as you often see.......In the future have a cunning plan to try using elastic thread but thats an experiment for a future build.

last major pieces of superstructure/funnels now added, there's a few smaller bits painted and ready to add next then I will be touching up all the areas where i've chipped the paint with repeated handling and a quick blast of matt varnish before i permanatly add her to the base. IAway this weekend but the plan for the next few weeks is to concentrate n HMS Rattlesnake once I have Belfast firmly fixed in place.

This ones been a struggle, even Trumpeters normally good fitting parts have been missing here, I can only hope their proposed county class cruisers are better than this as they will go to the top of my must have list once they are released and I would hate my enthusiasum for them to turn into a slogging match...... after all there's at least 4 of 1st batch that I just MUST make!

39993921482_e200957d9e_k.jpg39315714114_e0dd32dcda_k.jpg39127581035_ff73a4a047_k.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hi Nick

I have used two seperate techniques for the boat covers, my normal approach is to simply wrap them with tamiya tape and cut to size, works ok and gives a nice thin reult, a new approach on this build was to use green stuff putty, rolled thin then pulled over the boats and left to set. Once it had hardened I cut to size with a new blade. Not perfect but I think a bit more practice next time will improve thi gs and this may become my normal approach (I may also swap magisculpt for the greenstuff)

19 hours ago, salmo G said:

Hi Nick

I have used two seperate techniques for the boat covers, my normal approach is to simply wrap them with tamiya tape and cut to size, works ok and gives a nice thin reult, a new approach on this build was to use green stuff putty, rolled thin then pulled over the boats and left to set. Once it had hardened I cut to size with a new blade. Not perfect but I think a bit more practice next time will improve thi gs and this may become my normal approach (I may also swap magisculpt for the greenstuff)

Thank you, I'll have a think about which one of those to try. Maybe the tape as these are rowing boats so no awkward cabins.

Cheers

Nick

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2017 at 1:23 PM, salmo G said:

one step forward, two steps back springs to mind as an apt phrase for the last week.......

• Molds are made and look fine, however when i went to start casting I found my supply of resin has gone off! so I now need to order some more.
  • Bridge fittings are assembled from the uber fiddly Northstar items and looked okish, at least untill I dropped them.......
  • Finally I have chose a base and made a start on its assembly, looks like theres abit of room left in one corner? really hoping santa brings me something small and minesweeperish in shape to fill it!

Hi salmo,

This is lovely work; you obviously have really LOOKED at an old steel ship or 2.

About resin going off, if you're using polyurethane stuff, the "Part B" will catalyze in the presence of water vapor. To prevent that, my supplier sells pressurized cans of "inert gas" with which to displace the air in the can before closing it up. It's definitely worthwhile for me because I buy the stuff in 2-gallon sets & use it on the gallon jug of Part B after decanting to smaller bottles for actual production work. I cast enough resin bits that the decanted pint sets usually don't "kick off" until they're almost used up anyway.

Cheers, -Lars

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly there, masts, pom poms and crane added just a few small bits to add then rigging, figures and finished! TBH been a struggle motivating myself to get this finished and I am40119050884_b527b92591_k.jpg26958421068_acd3e26b4c_k.jpg25956604877_a3697dd428_k.jpg looking forward to tackling something else.....

• Like 8

Hi Kris

yes rigging is underway as I type! using Infini elastic, not my favourite part of a build but the rigging should be done by the weekend, then another chore creating a few dozen figures......just wanting to get this one off the bench asap!

• 4 weeks later...