Boulton Paul Sea Balliol T21

I first wanted to do a Sea Balliol after seeing a picture of Captain Eric Brown taking off from an aircraft carrier in a Balliol. I've got a resin version in the stash but the Special Hobby version is much more up my street. Mainly injection moulded with a bit of etch. I think the cockpit etch, especially the seatbelt/harness is a bit oversize. But here it is.

Built pretty much OOB. It went together OK but the canopy seems over big and needed some filling around it. Revell Aluminium for the airframe,Tamiya red for the recognition stripes and Citadel yellow for the 'trainer' stripes. So here is WP328 from the the Maintenance Test Unit at RNAS Abbotsinch in 1963. 

resized_37a7ccd1-55d1-4cbc-91df-0ae7fe85

resized_60d7d522-af0f-424c-a5f7-a89fc33b

resized_8e6d0c2b-8d10-47b5-a9d4-a4b25e1d

resized_0bd0f67f-7932-4e95-a3eb-267f9014

resized_e4dc5dd0-ff7a-4f02-8625-9b0f9246

A rather nice little aeroplane

Edited by 825
  • Like 20

39 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Your model looks excellent 👍 sadly I’d never known about these aircraft until these kits were released. 

Thanks. It really is a rather nice little aircraft. Although ir was designed as a trainer, and the side by side configuration would have been good, you can see it would be an ideal liaison plane and a useful hack. The livery I chose was probably the most challenging but as a Glasgow boy at heart something that flew out of Abbotsinch (HMS Sanderling) was a must. 

• Like 1