How to break superglue bond?

Lawzer

I've used superglue to attach the wings of an he111 and although i thought they aligned they aren't :(

now what's the best way to "remove" the bond?

read nail polish remover but i'd rather the mis-alignement than screwing up the plastic....

TIA.

ian

• Sad 1

Not a clue I'm afraid - I see your point about trying a solvent and the fact that it might 'eat' the plastic - chin up old fella - I'm sure someone will be along with an answer.

Stupid question - any advice on google???

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

stick it in the freezer, the cyano should go brittle and then be snappable.

Acetone based nail polish remover will attack the plastic - it will dissolve superglue, I use it to clean up the bottle tops

De-bonder thinned and allowed to dribble into the joints

I find neat fairey liquid does the job too, and caustic soda solution

Thanks for the advice folks.

it's the old 1/48 monogram kit and it uses spars and although i "thought" i'd set them right they're not now.  Starboard in particular. 

I'll see if i can pick up some de-bonder toay.....

• Like 1

If that is a "plastic model" as it appears to be, why are you using superglue?  Liquid poly or a drop of plastic tube cement would be the ideal material.  I only use superglue on resin or multimedia kits which include brass, whitemetal or a bond between plastic and metal.  Superglue on the metal, liquid poly on the plastic and bond both together

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, rayprit said:

If that is a "plastic model" as it appears to be, why are you using superglue?  Liquid poly or a drop of plastic tube cement would be the ideal material.  I only use superglue on resin or multimedia kits which include brass, whitemetal or a bond between plastic and metal.  Superglue on the metal, liquid poly on the plastic and bond both together

Normally i would but this being from 1994 there isn't a huge surface area to contact and it's a fairly weighty bit of plastic.

anyhoo crisis averted :)

• Like 2

For future reference I can tell you that the following method will undo CA bonds.....

Bicarbonate of soda and hairspray and warm water!!!!!

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1