1/350 HMS Zulu

Redshift

Well, the next project just arrived from Atlantic Models, a 1/350 scale type 81 tribal class frigate in resin, white metal and brass. I was a little surprised by the seemingly small number of parts, but its all about the end result and the initial inspection bodes well. Excellent detailing cast into the resin and the brass etching looks promising. The two halves of the hull would need a little fettling and filling, but I'm going to build this as a waterline model on a semi calm sea, so the lower hull will end up surplus.

The kit:

38140556361_4cd9276f4b_h.jpg

Stage 1 is to prep the base board for some water modelling; here is my initial sketch of the wake pattern. The end result won't be quiet so geometrical!

37431131094_ace8261834_h.jpg

To be continued...

Edited by Redshift
  • Like 10

Oak decking paint was too yellow, so I changed it for a medium brown. Painted the decks green and put the main parts together and put detail on the wasp (minus its PE parts for now)

38360536231_5b82b610f5_h.jpg

And this is what the sea looks like now. I was originally thinking North Sea or English Channel, but I think this might have to be the Carribean! 

37646437064_4f3d18dc5a_h.jpg

• Like 2

That is a lovely model. I have always liked the look of these ships and your seascape really sets off the model.

A case of etiquette though, Royal Navy ships do not fly the Union Jack at sea, unless the ship is dressed overall, which means that you need to add another White Ensign on the main mast.

She wouldn’t wear a White Ensign at the stern either - not with a Wasp on deck; safest bet us just a white ensign at the mast head.  She looks stunning, by the way; I went to sea in Gurkha (for all of an hour - I was serving in Dido as a Mid at the time!), and like many have a soft spot for the class.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1