250 Squadron RAF Kittyhawks, Italy, 1944

Hamsterman

Hi all, I'm quite the novice when it comes to RAF details or where to find them and I'm coming up short on pictures and decals for 250 Sqdn. RAF Kittyhawks in Italy toward the end of 1944.  I'm specifically looking for 6 November, 1944 (Operation Bingo raids) but I'm getting the impression that "late" 1944 will be good enough.

I'm having one heck of a time finding any pictures of 250 Sqdn. Kittyhawks in Italy in late 1944. I've found a few profiles of on Kittyhawk, LD-C, FX781, named "Ghost" that suggests this plane was in Italy in 1944.  I can't find any photos of this plane or any indication of which pilot flew FX781.  To make this more difficult, I can't really find decals for this plane.  I'm finding references to an old Matchbox 1/72 kit but nothing more current and nothing in 1/48 which I would prefer.  I'm not absolutely set on this particular plane.  I would be happy with any 250 Sqdn. Kittyhawk as long as I knew it was with the squadron in November 1944, the camo scheme, serial number and squadron code on the fuselage. 

Thanks for the help as I'm getting nowhere fast.

Cheers!

Go to 'Discovery', the web portal to the National Archives.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8397141#imageViewerLink

Input AIR27/1502/22. It will bring up the 250 Sqn. diary for Nov 1944 known as 'Record of Events' (they were over Yugoslavia at the time). You can get a peek at the low-grade images for free (all 14 pages). I had a swift shufti for FX781 and didn't see it, but that doesn't mean it isn't there, it may lurk under one of the blocked out squares. to find out, you will have to spend £3:50 for a download. The 'Summary of Events' for Nov 44, AIR27/1502/21, doesn't list serial numbers, but will add other background info. It may not be of to interest you, but great for family research, another £3.50.

Yet more info is in the squadron appendices, AIR27/1504. Dated from May 41 to May 45, it has a whopping 434 pages for your £3.50, inc. lots of combat reports etc. Nov 44 starts around page 426. I'm not certain because I've just had a brief look. I hate waiters who say "Enjoy!" but you may just get hooked!

In general, these documents occasionally come up with useful code/serial combinations, and maybe occasional on/off charge dates as well as very brief loss details. How I curse their recorders for not considering paint details etc. for us modellers some eighty years later!