Airfix Spitfire Va markings

johnd

Hello all!

I noticed that the instructions for the 1/72 scale Airfix Spitfire Va do not specify the yellow leading edge identification marking. It represents an aircraft  from 164 Squadron, April  to September 1942. Shouldn't it be in place for Fighter Command aircraft in that period? 

So do Airfix have a photo showing the absence  of the yellow lines or is it a mistake and I have to paint them on? :pray:

Thanks,

John.

23 minutes ago, johnd said:

Hello all!

I noticed that the instructions for the 1/72 scale Airfix Spitfire Va do not specify the yellow leading edge identification marking. It represents an aircraft  from 164 Squadron, April  to September 1942. Shouldn't it be in place for Fighter Command aircraft in that period? 

So do Airfix have a photo showing the absence  of the yellow lines or is it a mistake and I have to paint them on? :pray:

Thanks,

John.

I'd presume it's an error. When the new scheme was adopted on the 12th August 1941, it stipulated the yellow leading wing edges. Although 164 is not one of the squadrons that I am interested in a quick look on the internet pulled up this:

7200.jpg

This appears to be the same aircraft (see the presentation title) and the yellow leading edge is apparent.

Cheers,

Tim

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks, both. That's not necessarily the same aircraft though, as 'Argentine (British)' was the name of the squadron rather than the aircraft. It shows that the yellow leading edges were in place, though, so I'll crack on.

Btw, is it me, or are those propeller blades missing the yellow tips?

John.