Hobby Boss Su-27 with shut-down hydraulics, stabilizer droop

MeneMene

So I'm working on the Hobby Boss Su-27, and most of the pictures of parked aircraft have the hydraulics turned off. As a result, the leading edge slats, wing flaps, and horizontal stabilizers are drooped down, like in this picture:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/photo/viewcat.php?id=17670&cid=430&min=12&orderby=dateA&show=12

The hydraulic actuator for the stabilizer is contained at the base of the vertical fin, and you can see the scrape/scuff mark from where it slides in and out of the housing. However, it seems that Hobby Boss only planned you to have the stabilizers in a level position; the actuator is molded as part of the vertical stabilizer, so without modification it's not possible to have it in negative deflection/deployed like this. It would require lots of surgery/sculpting/scratchbuilding to represent the sagged stabilizers, some of which is outside of my skill level, and some of which is outside of my level of effort for what was supposed to be a quick, fun build.

1) I do have the option of easily dropping the slats and flaps. Would it be completely unrealistic for the systems to "bleed" at different rates (i.e. stabilizers level and flaps/slats deployed?) Or is it going to be an all-or-nothing sort of thing?

2) How long after shut-down would it take for the control surfaces to sag down? If it's not instantaneous, I might just have these all still up (the rest of the jet, like the cockpit and engines, will be in a shut-down state)

Any suggestions?

Thanks

It’s not a big problem to add a bit of plastic and sand to blend in, it’s actually discussed here in one of the builds in the Flanker GB, scroll down to post 15....

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235027164-148-su-30mk2-venezuelan-air-force-update-2710/

Muzz

11 hours ago, MeneMene said:

So I'm working on the Hobby Boss Su-27, and most of the pictures of parked aircraft have the hydraulics turned off. As a result, the leading edge slats, wing flaps, and horizontal stabilizers are drooped down, like in this picture:

It's not a matter of hydraulics off. The reason for stabilizers drooped is very simple: It's easier to enter the cockpit when the stick is in forward position.  

Every Flanker kit I have ever made (and it runs into dozens) have had the horizontal stabs in the flat position.

It is fairly easy to add a triangular shaped wedge to achieve the 'droop'........ (different kits have different ways to depict the actuator, so the wedge may differ)

Flankers%20074.JPG

Here's what it looks like on the real thing..... (it slides inside the front cover - so to be really accurate in larger scales it needs to reflect this)

su-35_014.jpg

Happy Flankering

Ken

• Like 1