1/72 Ryan PT-22 Recruit G-RLWG ( PT-20 kit with resin conversion )

Because of their airfield insurance, you need to be a Real Aero club member to visit ( only £30 a year ) unless a pilot flying in, but their main summer fly-in and hangar party in July allows weekend membership for about £5 from memory. The summer event is well worth visiting for!

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 1

I got a little further with the Ryan today. The rear of the fuselage is open structure, showing the fin post/tail wheel leg support, so I've opened up the hole in the rear of the model.

pt22_19.jpg

Having removed some of the wood at the tail end of the jig, I made some new supports for the tailplanes to allow those to be attached. With the fragile resin tailplanes needing to be attached with cyano adhesive, I'd only get one go at the correct place.

pt22_20.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force

With the model weighted down to keep it still, the tailplanes were positioned on the supports. Tiny drops of cyano were added to the joints from the top, and once set, the model removed from the jig and additional cyano added to the bottom. 

pt22_21.jpg

pt22_22.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 3

I'm envious of your little escapade around the block in this lovely little aircraft! The model is coming along very nicely too, all the more fun for having to alter It!

Ian

• Like 1

As it's sometimes mistaken for one, how much of a Beaver kit do you think you could use for the Broussard? I've often wondered. At least the boxy fuselage would make for a simpler scratchbuild (says he of little experience).

• 5 months later...

Still no progress on this of late. It's not forgotten, I'm just too busy with other projects and hobbies at present. Three hobbies and not enough time isn't a good combination! I was back at the airfield again recently and couldn't help but get some more photos!

pt22_0033.jpg

breighton_radial_15.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I finally found a few minutes to try some different yellows and finally settled for Humbrol 24 for the Ryan. The photos above look more orange, but it's all to do with the camera settings and light it is photographed in. It got a few thin coats during the afternoon. I painted it over the grey primer rather than white, as I didn't want it too bright and fresh looking. The original aircraft has been in that scheme for many years. The final coat may yet get a tiny bit of orange or red in it. It all depends on how this looks once cured and in natural light. I think the scratch built landing gear will have to come next. The kit and resin modification only includes faired in legs, not open struts.

pt22_26.jpg

pt22_27.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

It's been a while, but after two days doing winter maintenance on my WW2 Jeep, I needed a more relaxing day. After the morning spent tinkering with my telescope mount, I spent the afternoon on the Ryan. It doesn't look much for four to five hours work, but it was a job I'd been putting off - the bird cage landing gear!

The original PT-20 kit gear had enclosed legs and spatted wheels. The resin conversion for the PT-22 was also wrong for me, still having enclosed legs but exposed wheels. As a result, I needed to scratch build some legs. I decided styrene wouldn't be strong enough as I'd also have to rig bracing wires to the legs. So I went for brass tube and the resin articulated link included in the conversion.

pt22_28.jpg

Using the resin leg as a template, I made a jig to hold the tiny brass parts, each around 1/2 an inch long.

pt22_29.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 1

It was fiddly enough cutting and positioning the parts, never mind soldering them!

pt22_30.jpg

After removal from the jig, the joints were cleaned up with needle files. Thin brass rod out of the top of the legs will be used to pin them into the wing.

pt22_31.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Tweener said:

Is this the MPM kit with changes? Looks great so far!

It's the Special Hobby Kit/Conversion.

27 minutes ago, Jonners said:

Nice one. I see Charles was flying the Bruce...

Charles seems to do almost all the Bruce flying. Not sure anyone else flies it!

• 1 month later...

Further progress yesterday and today. Yesterday, the over length mounting pins on the landing gear were trimmed and the gear test fitted.

pt22_34.jpg

There were also five tiny blisters were added which streamline the rigging wire and strut fixings. The aircraft was then sprayed in its yellow top coat.

pt22_35.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 1