Stringbag theory.XXXXfinishedXXXXXXXXXXXXX

stevej60

42 minutes ago, Rob G said:

One wonders how a Swordfish could have possibly hunted an E-boat, unless it lay in wait and ambushed them- I'm fairly certain that an E-boat is faster than a Swordfish...

(Poor old Stringbag, she don't get no love.)

That's looking pretty darn fine Steve!

I think Swordfish sneaked up on E-boats during the dark using radar, I don't think they were used against them in daylight.

• Like 1

Hi folk's a little more on the Swordfish tonight,upper wing added,once thoroughly  dry I'll add the outer strut's I just find this the easiest method

with this kit.

20171118_211907

• Like 3

1 minute ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Looks great Steve.

I like it. I like it a lot! :smile:

Cheers Greg 

Thank's Greg,it's not a bad kit apart from the upper wing assembly which may be down to me although I've had trouble with all three I've

built,still always the rigging to enjoy!

• Like 1

Hi folk's,outer struts slipped intoplace beautifully,all painted and upper wing glossed for decalling,started to paint the rocket's too.

20171121_112108

IMG-20171122-WA0001

Edited by stevej60
added photo.
  • Like 6

Ah yes the inevitable disaster! got the prop and engine cowl fitted and thought last job of the session finish the starboard codes  then

I can start the rigging and they've vanished! Hunted hi and low must have accidently been binned when clearing up so I'm going to try and

cut up some decal's to try and make the NH-F if I get away with it on with the rigging,if not I'll not bother with any rigging and pop her in

the Gallery as is.

20171126_201508

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 3
  • Sad 4

14 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Thank's  Arnold,not having checked properly look's like I've got them the wrong way round !:wall:

Are you sure about the decals being wrong? I did a bit of research and it looks like the document AMO A926/40 (12 December 1940) 'Aircraft Colouring and Recognition Markings' seems to have originally said:

Code letters are carried by service types in operational units, and operational training units.  The two code letters, and one letter to indicate individual aircraft, are to be painted in grey paint and placed before and behind the roundels on the fuselage.  The, code and individual letters may be placed two before and one behind the roundels or vice versa. 

If fact, one of my favourites, the Airfix P-40 Kittyhawk has 'Y-GA' on one side and GA-Y' on the other. Good old 'JE-J' had that on both sides but I thought that was because it was especially written that way for Johnny Johnson.

However, an update ' The order quoted above has been amended to AMO A687/41 issued on 28 August 1941, A.664  Camouflage, Colouring and Markings of Aircraft (2 July 1942) said:

Code letters and Special markings.-(i) In addition to national markings, code letters are carried by service types in operational units and operational training units.  The two code letters, and one letter to indicate individual aircraft, are to be painted in the appropriate colour and placed before and behind the roundels on the fuselage...

Maybe you can say that the ground crew had not received the update??

Edited by Ventora3300

3 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Are you sure about the decals being wrong?

Many thank's I was going off a couple of build's I'd seen of the kit as even the box guide only shows the port side.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...