Stringbag theory.XXXXfinishedXXXXXXXXXXXXX

stevej60

Hi folk's,another entry for the simple reason I was given this kit a month ago by my eldest who inherited a box of about twenty old biplanes and he has

a recent Revell re-box in the stash.

20171101_211604

I built this kit donkey's years ago and re-visited it a couple of years back adding detail and rigging which after looking at some of the work in this GB

I think would be nice to do again.I'm hoping to do the all black version which doesn't seem to get done very often.Sprue colour's are muted by usual

standard's.

20171101_211557

I personally think this kit was superior to Frog and Airfix's offering despite the heavy recessed lines but not as nice as other Matchbox Bi-planes

and is "clunky" by comparison.Here's my recent effort.

SDC14686%20600x450_zpswi3czwrf.jpg

Another effort is sitting in the big box of doom.

DSCN3610_zps7nj4ar3m.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 10

Excellent choice Steve - I've always liked the RAF All Black Stringbag with ASV radar and recall viewing the back of the box as a kid thinking that this version was very cool.

I never got around to it, however (as I'm finding out with this GB) never say never when it comes to good old Matchbox kits.

I'll add this kit to the 'Build List' in the chat thread.

Cheers... Dave

• Like 2

I love the one with the invasion stripes!!!

But a Stringbag cannot look ugly, no matter what paint it carries!

So have a lot of fun, especially with the rigging.

Cheers

JR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

Look's menacing in the night scheme,great job,i'm still 50/50 on rigging the damn thing though!

Thanks, rigging is a bit of a pain but worth doing. Seeing the pictures reminded me that I had muddied the tyres ready to place the Swordfish in a diorama next to an Airfix command post, these aircraft were based in Belgium in the winter of 44-45 as E-boat hunters.

• Like 1

Hiya Steve,

It is a very nice kit isn`t it,...... I`m not sure if you are up for it but a bit of scratch building in the rear cockpit will pay dividents,.... even cutting the forward fairing from the rear cockpit away,..... and adding the missing windows in the forward fuselage sides between the lower wing stub struts, and adding runners for the bomb aimers windows underneath. Here are some pics of one which I built if they help;

Good luck with yours mate,

Tony

• Like 10

Great build @tonyot and perfect reference photos to go with the additional details.

You guys are really making me open my wallet and (once the moths fly out) delve deep to retrive what sheckles are left!

Cheers.. Dave.  

• Like 2

Start made on this one,I'm adding a little detail to give the cockpit a busy look now painted which look's a lot better.

20171106_134650

Basic instrument panel added and behind the observer/gunner,a bit of sprue either side of his position to "fill" in the opening

and a control column.Also glued the ten section's that make upthe wing's.

Paint on.

20171106_205607

Fuselage joined tail added no hassle so far.

20171106_211251

Wing's and support's on.Now best leave it to dry!

20171106_213938

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 9

Morning folk's I'm learning the art of "leave to dry" with this kit,I cannot imagine many youngster's  completing it without help from their

parent's I'm 58 now and been tempted to send it flying more than once.Anyway here we are as of  today.

20171108_105321

• Like 7

Looking forward to more progress. The engine is a cracker on that kit. The Matchbox one is the only one of the three older Swordfish kits in 1/72 that I haven't built, but it's on the "must do" list!

The Swordfish in Duxford has the covered front observer cockpit like this kit. Frustratingly, it's almost impossible to get a view inside that from regular visitor points of view, so your guess is as good as it gets!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

The Swordfish in Duxford has the covered front observer cockpit like this kit. Frustratingly, it's almost impossible to get a view inside that from regular visitor points of view, so your guess is as good as it gets!

Regards,

Adrian

I can't find the thread Adrian but I'm sure the covered in rear cockpit was a feature of the later ASW Swordfish it was mentioned in an old build of mine.

Hi folk's I've primed in gray and added a couple of coats of NATO black which isn't a black as the photo show's if that makes sense! leaving to dry

a day and then I intend to dry brush the ribbed detail before adding the upper wing.

20171109_113701

• Like 5

Morning folk's,no modelling this weekend might get up in the loft later but I did get the decal's on one side to see how they fare,funny only 

the F silvered even over the well glossed area even though I glossed over as well so I'll paint over the silvering and trim the decal for the opposite

side.

20171112_114927

• Like 4

try pricking the decal with a knife or needle & then flow some kleer polish on it, you may need to repeat but it will get rid of the silvering. When you do the other side use the polish to seat the decal when you put it on.

Edited by spaddad
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, spaddad said:

try pricking the decal with a knife or needle & then flow some kleer polish on it, you may need to repeat but it will get rid of the silvering. When you do the other side use the polish to seat the decal when you put it on.

I'll do it on the other side Dave,I've touched up and re-glossed this side look's fine.

On 11/3/2017 at 9:22 PM, old thumper said:

...these aircraft were based in Belgium in the winter of 44-45 as E-boat hunters.

One wonders how a Swordfish could have possibly hunted an E-boat, unless it lay in wait and ambushed them- I'm fairly certain that an E-boat is faster than a Swordfish...

(Poor old Stringbag, she don't get no love.)

That's looking pretty darn fine Steve!

• Like 2