S-58/UH-34 question

dfqweofekwpeweiop4

I would say that it depends on what model S-58 the Iraelis used.  I have the kit and seem to remember that it has the bent leg nose landing gear.  That was from the later models of the S-58/H-34 family.  If the aircraft you are wanting to model has a straight leg nose gear (both legs are straight), then that is an earlier model and would need some modification.  There is also the issue of the engine.  The kit nose represents a radial engine version.  Later versions and conversions had turbine engines with many different types of noses.

Later,

Dave

I've no idea what they used, I've only seen them labelled as S-58's but I'm sure they were the piston engine ones but I don't really know much about them. All I know is Hobby Boss do one labelled as a UH-34A and I have some decals for an Israeli S-58 which is the same family of helicopters.

thanks

Mike

It would appear that they had cabs with both types of undercarriage,the early style (like Wessex) and the later V frame.

I haven't seen and port side photos in this quick scan so don't know about different exhaust positions

220px-SikorskyS58Israel.jpg17244.jpg

13 hours ago, Mikemx said:

I've no idea what they used, I've only seen them labelled as S-58's but I'm sure they were the piston engine ones but I don't really know much about them. All I know is Hobby Boss do one labelled as a UH-34A and I have some decals for an Israeli S-58 which is the same family of helicopters.

thanks

Mike

No matter which version it was, I would highly recommend that you get the Eduard etched metal set 72224 to detail the interior.  Neither Italeri or Hobbyboss have the roof and the engine shaft housing from the nose to the main rotor, which is very prominent on the real thing.  The Eduard set has both of these items.  I just checked Hannant's and they have three in stock.  I have a set for all of my S-58 derived kits (H-34 and Wessex).

Later,

Dave, in no way connected with Eduard.

• Like 1

Diving in on this, apparently (having been to google) some S-58's were converted to turboprop engines by California Helicopters. From kits supplied by Sikorski. In my many travels I seem to have picked up a conversion for the S-58T as these were termed( can't remember where from). Apparently they served with the Argentine & Indonesian armed forces but no mention of the Israeli's. hth cheers Chris