AMT B1 Battledroid - Mister Bones

13 hours ago, rockpopandchips said:

Cheers for those tips james, this will move on a bit quicker now that i dont have to worry about the LED and a battery as i just snapped the wire in the neck.:swear:

That's a shame :( It looked so cool lit up. No way to solder it back together, or bridge it some how?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, James B said:

That's a shame :( It looked so cool lit up. No way to solder it back together, or bridge it some how?

You probably could fix it if you had any skills with solder on the hair like copper wires used on the micro LED,  I dont and i know when I'm beat.:crying:.

Edited by rockpopandchips
  • Sad 1

He looks scary with the new eye! For the snapped wire, the LED current is so low that you could probably manage with a twiddle joint - scrape the enamel off the ends of the wire and twist together - tweezers or needlenose pliers would be good here. Lay the ends flat and pot it with a dot of epoxy to stop it coming apart, and it'll look like some kind of scientifical component.

If you want to be really fancy you could measure the resistance of the finished join and subtract that from whatever value you pick for the current limiting resistor :)

HTH,

Will

• Like 1

So i had a go at the twisted wire method....failed so i thought sod it drill a bigger hole and if it goes to hell rebuild the eye part.

20171113_172413

You can see what might be the Wookee tooth necklace here as well.

I think this is going to work, the eye is a bit of centre now and i have a big hole to fill on the chin but we have light again.

20171113_190748

And a one checking out the new body and head position.

2017-11-13_11-36-40

Im happy again....:D

• Like 5

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:30 AM, rockpopandchips said:

as i just snapped the wire in the neck.:swear:

Keyhole surgery required! Drill a small hole, and hook the wires out. I hope you left a bit of slack? ALWAYS leave a bit of slack!

:ignore: Tut, I was reading the last post on the first page as if it were the last post on page 2.

Rearguards

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Badder said:

Keyhole surgery required! Drill a small hole, and hook the wires out. I hope you left a bit of slack? ALWAYS leave a bit of slack!

:ignore: Tut, I was reading the last post on the first page as if it were the last post on page 2.

Rearguards

Badder

lol, mostly sorted, need to rethink the rough for the wires now the body is closed up.....:think:.

Cheers James, so after some opinions on this gun. Yes, no or maybe? I think it might be ok if i add a scope and a flaired barrel and bit like Hans blaster, what do you think?

I will mod the hand/fingers to hold the blaster properly.

2017-11-14_06-49-37

Edited by rockpopandchips
  • Like 2

In the drawing he doesn't have a gun, and I notice no holster either. The original droids had shoulder based holsters (recalls cool scene where they all unfurl out of the tank racks and reach behind and grab their blasters... sooo cool). As for the pistol itself, as it stands it looks too futuristic and solid to be Star Warsy (new word invented). That said, you've well and truly blown me away with your conversions on this so far, so I'd like to see it with the flared barrel and other mods you've suggested before I make a call either way. 

Really enjoying watching this come together.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hunter Rose said:

Looking good, nice bit of eye surgery Brian! And yeah I think that gun looks like a good base for some mods

Cheers Hunter.

2 hours ago, James B said:

In the drawing he doesn't have a gun, and I notice no holster either. The original droids had shoulder based holsters (recalls cool scene where they all unfurl out of the tank racks and reach behind and grab their blasters... sooo cool). As for the pistol itself, as it stands it looks too futuristic and solid to be Star Warsy (new word invented). That said, you've well and truly blown me away with your conversions on this so far, so I'd like to see it with the flared barrel and other mods you've suggested before I make a call either way. 

Really enjoying watching this come together.

The drawing is just a guide as its by Disney and from reading about mister bones i imagine him to be a bit more sinister, a bit more beaten up, have a lot more bones rattling about him and he needs a gun i think, he is a killer robot built from scrap parts after all.

So my SW gun number 1. Need to fill that gap in the handel/scope thing but What do you think.

2017-11-14_08-53-50

• Like 2

It's a nice design overall, but i don't think it looks quite Star-Wars enough in its current state. The weapons in Star Wars tend to have a more simplistic, somewhat inefficient and outdated look to them - the extra detail on the handle and the barrel gives it a bit more of a futuristic sci-fi feel, i think.

• Like 1

I agree with @TheVoidDragon. It's a bloody impressive sci-fi blaster. (So much so that if I modeled anything in even nearly the same scale I'd be tempted to ask if you could make a mold of it, I think it's that good).  I think if you replaced the G3 type handle on top with a scope similar in design to Han Solo's pistol you could be onto a real winner there. I think it would give it that SW look you're after.

• Like 1

I really like the flared barrel and the scope. They're excellent and very SW. Could be the angle of the photo, and probably the blutac isn't helping, but the scope looks a tad too high, but as I said, really, really excellent. I would like to compare this with the other gun, but the revolver one with the same barrel and scope as this second one. Might look crap, but I wonder if they're the touches the other one needs to be perfect. What is it all built from out of interest?

• Like 1

I think with the second one there's still a bit too much of a futuristic feel to it, mostly because of the grip having all that detail  It need a bit more to make it look sort of lower tech. If you look at something like this chart most of them are either bulky, unwieldy and somewhat busy with the random bits stuck on, or a sleek, simple, somewhat retro design.

817?cb=20081001125558

Edited by TheVoidDragon
  • Like 2

Wow your a tough crowd when it comes to the SWU, :huh: but thanks for all you comments they are very useful as coming up with something thats new ( from scrap plastic) but looks like something that could exist (in Star Wars) is a lot harder than I thought it would be. 

9 hours ago, James B said:

What is it all built from out of interest?

I have a terrible habit of collecting very useful plastic parts ( or junk as the wife will call it) that and left over Gundam kit parts. The two guns are from a 1/100 scale Gundam kits so I can claim any credit form them. 

So the next steps are to remove some detail from the #2 gun, make good the scope and make a new barrel (more retro)

and for the #1 gun add a scope, remove the handle details and add barrel end like gun #2. 

Cheers again much appreciated. 

• Like 1

I still need to clean these up and probably change the scope on the revolver but we now have one a bit more retro and the other looking more steampunk. I think i like the steampunk one more.

2017-11-15_09-57-13

Completely of topic but on old pack of milliput wasn't looking great yesterday so came up with the milk bottle top mini dio.

20171115_194627

Its a smake swimming in water....just a bit of fun and practice handling the sticky stuff.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Hunter Rose said:

Gun looks quality, glad you stuck with the "revolver" looking base pistol

Cheers i will pose Mr B with the revolver and i might have go at making a holster for the other one.

Now im not the best artist by a long shot but i had a go at a Mister Bones flag/coat of arms type thing. I might ask a friend thats a lot better than me to have a go at somthing similar but i like the general idea of this.

2017-11-16_06-19-04

I

• Like 1

Back to Mister Bones now the Zaku is finished, not much more to report before the weekend i have started the yellow under coat that was recommend so giving that a go and first impressions are good. You can just about see the red on the left arm and once the other arm is under coated i will pin and glue the arms inplace before figuring out what to do to the legs.

I have orded a 12" hasbro first order trooper, as i still might use his gun but i will be using the troopers head for the base.

2017-11-24_06-31-18

• Like 4