Airfix 1/48th Mustang, RCAF

Just finished the new Airfix P-51 in Canadian markings to go with my Meng one I did earlier in the year. Found the kit to be well moulded albeit in the not so nice light grey plastic which I find is rather prone to soft details and easily damaged. The fit of most parts is OK but I did have a little fiddle with the tail section and the gun inserts. The cockpit tub and tailwheel assemblies seem a little over complicated to me too and (unless it was me of course) did prove a little reluctant to all fit in the fuselage halves. But, we got there in the end.

As the particular aircraft I wanted to do had an uncuffed propeller I used the one that was left over from my Meng kit which fitted perfectly with a modified mount for the propeller shaft. Eduard are also releasing one soon anyway specifically for the Airfix kit.. I also used Eduard exhausts, wheels and seatbelts. The only other extras were a set of underwing rocket pylons which I modified from parts I found in the spares box. 

Thanks for looking. 

24241964418_ee08d854a7_b.jpgIMG_2815 by Keith Sherwood, on Flickr

37385046704_aa08368b13_b.jpgIMG_2838 by Keith Sherwood, on Flickr

38063265202_027ee0b8e0_b.jpgIMG_2831 by Keith Sherwood, on Flickr

37385042694_bd2b255cd1_b.jpgIMG_2844 by Keith Sherwood, on Flickr

38063273242_845410077b_b.jpgIMG_2847 by Keith Sherwood, on Flickr

Edited by keithjs
  • Like 38
  • Thanks 1

Perfect choice for a colour scheme. Very nice build indeed. But I must question the prop. It looks very much like an Aeroproducts one not seen on post war RCAF P-51s. On most, they used post war square tipped Hamilton Standards which were cuffless.  But hey I bet you are happy with your model.

I plan to do an RCAF one too using the Leading Edge decals.  Are those LEM ones on your build?? And what was the source for the unit badge?

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the comments. Yes, I realise about the prop but wasn't sure if I could just get away with squaring off the tips of the Meng one without shortening it? If so I'll do that and if not any idea of a source? There's a photo of BU N on page 197 of Patrick Martins book and it certainly looks squared off and yet the aircraft next to it doesn't..... There's also a photo on the decal sheet but it's turning...

Yes, that's Leading Edge sheet 48-80. The badge I made up myself from one I found on the web, reducing it and sticking it onto some black plasticard.

Blimey, that's a quick build, only just arrived locally. Looks a nice kit or am l underestimating your modelling skills, sound like there might be a few things to watch out for. It's next on my build list!

12 hours ago, keithjs said:

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the comments. Yes, I realise about the prop but wasn't sure if I could just get away with squaring off the tips of the Meng one without shortening it? If so I'll do that and if not any idea of a source? There's a photo of BU N on page 197 of Patrick Martins book and it certainly looks squared off and yet the aircraft next to it doesn't..... There's also a photo on the decal sheet but it's turning...

Yes, that's Leading Edge sheet 48-80. The badge I made up myself from one I found on the web, reducing it and sticking it onto some black plasticard.

Some RCAF Mustangs still had the wartime cuffed props, sou it wouldn't be entirely wrong to have used it. I have seen pics of some with those, belonging to the unit with the blue yellow markings( Sorry I don't recall unit number)

Thanks for the tip on the squadron badge... useful.

Link to one I built a couple years back .... the prop came from the ICM kit A cheap way of getting those different bits.

Morning Paul,

Yes, that would be 402 squadron. I used those markings on my Meng kit and that had the cuffed prop on. Will have a look around at Telford net week for more info and inspiration...and maybe a cheap ICM kit..

Incidently, which ICM kit has that prop or are all kits the same bar decals? The one you did might be my 3rd one too....?

Edited by keithjs
Spelling

11 hours ago, keithjs said:

Morning Paul,

Incidently, which ICM kit has that prop or are all kits the same bar decals? The one you did might be my 3rd one too....?

I think any of the 'D' model kits have it...I think it may also be in the 'B' kits too .

Diggin it.

I'm in the midst of my build too. But I much prefer the Indian plastic. As the British plastic goes even softer on details, and has inconsistent panel lines. It's also more brittle and more difficult to fill and sand. So I for one praise the choice of molding this release in India. What I do find in this kit is that detail wasn't added in some places, like the main wheel wells. A little clunky there. The rear wheel well was nicely detailed, however. The nice touch though was the harness molded into the seat back, and from the struts onto the seat bucket.

At any rate, it's still a winner of a kit!

Hello,Keith - I love everything about this magnificent Mustang build from the rarely-seen markings to the ‘classic’ finish. She’s perfection in my book.

😉👍 All The Best,Paul.

Very nice Mustang

And a beautifully unusual paint scheme !

The ICM Mustang B have also the 2 différents types of propeller !

I have 2 of them on their way ...

Congratulations :yes:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp