English Electric Deltic Prototype (DP1) **FINISHED**

nimrod54

This recent addition to the shelf of doom was a Made in Britain II GB fail, so what better opportunity could there be to complete it than to resurrect it as an entry into KUTA X. 

Here is a link to the build,

and a few photos of how things stand at present.

37232723912_8d9721b155_c.jpg

37232726372_328b883864_c.jpg

23533663208_853a4cce62_c.jpg

So, just a single entry for now but there are other candidates that have been hanging around the unfinished pile which I might add later, it all depends on how this progresses.

• Like 8

23 hours ago, stevehnz said:

thinking that Deltics are the coolest engines ever. :)

Well...   the coolest non-steam engines ever.

Everyone knows that the coolest steam engines ever were the Black Fives.   :D

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Yeah, I should've qualified that, the coolest diesel engines ever. Not sure what a Black Five is, best get my googlefu into gear, but I am a steam fan, any engine that can talk back to you is pretty cool too. :)  Just googled, yeah, I could like them well enough. 

Steve. 

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Not as cool as the Jubilee Class Staniers,  :P:D which, IIRC, are the same class. I have fond memories of visits to Dinting to see Bahamas when she was based there. 

1 minute ago, nimrod54 said:

Not as cool as the Jubilee Class Staniers,  :P:D which, IIRC, are the same class.

They looked very similar.  The Jubilees had the same chassis as the Patriots but a larger boiler.  Eventually the Jubilees were classed as 6P.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

They looked very similar.  The Jubilees had the same chassis as the Patriots but a larger boiler.  Eventually the Jubilees were classed as 6P.

So I didn't remember correctly, I'll put that down to the water (must drink more of it and lay off the spirits). :winkgrin:

3 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

So I didn't remember correctly, I'll put that down to the water (must drink more of it and lay off the spirits). :winkgrin:

All the Staniers looked similar when they all got taper boilers.

You can drink more water.  I'll deal with your share of the spirits. They would only go off otherwise...   :D 

• Like 1

Just browsing when I noticed this post. A bit puzzled. English Electric? Was it a Canberra variant? A Lightning prototype maybe? A washing machine!?
But no. A locomotive. A train. A bloody choo-choo! Not interested, I own but one anorak and only ever use it when my car breaks down. Aircraft for me. Or cars. Just not trains. Ever.
But wait.....something stirs in the back of my mind.....the smell of home-made scotch broth and home baking. My grandmother's house. The main Glasgow to London railway just over the back garden. The sound of a behemoth, the roar of a monster, or the wholy inaccurate onomatopaeic 'choo-choo' still picking up speed six miles out of Glasgow Central Station and heading South. Unstopable. Yes the newly introduced Deltics impressing a little boy more than any Teddy Boy's motor bike ever could. I had actually forgotten that for that couple of years I collected numbers whenever I was there. 

This will be a great build.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Completely co-incidently, just this week I went on the Glasgow Central Station history tour (a birthday present). It is, not a tour of the current station (buy a train ticket if you want that) but a tour of the recently re-opened historic layers of the station below the main concourse - down 4 levels of the station to see a disused Edwardian platform, the WW1 casualty station (and morgue) and disused tunnels etc. Its a resoration in progress stiil, but all the better for that. Totally brilliant. A steam train and carriage are being restored and should be in place in the next couple of months. Not just for train buffs though - the architecture and history is fascinating. If you are in the area - go.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 02/11/2017 at 7:52 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

Everyone knows that the coolest steam engines ever were the Black Fives.

Surely the coolest were Bulleid's "air smoothed" Pacifics - after all he did "eschew conventional thinking".

Glad to see that your Deltic is "back on track"

• Like 1

On 02/11/2017 at 7:52 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

Cough..... Bayer.....mutter.....Peacock :D Or, if style matters, A4....from a Gentleman who understood beauty and power could go together.

On 04/11/2017 at 8:35 PM, Rodders154 said:

Black fives owe a lot to Stanier working for the  GWR at Swindon.

Everyone knows that GWR stands for Gods Wonderful Railway

Rodders

Absolutely right...

On 04/11/2017 at 9:16 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

I was always told it stands for Grotty, Wet and Rotten.

:bleh:

Who ever told you that is an evil person who probably nicks other peoples milk from the work's fridge.

Very nice to see something a bit different. Apparently the moulds were mislabelled in their crate, it was only when they decided to look inside that they were discovered. Not bad for a kit that had never existed/moulds never finished/moulds lost in one of various ways.

• Like 2

Thanks for keeping things going chaps, having completed my float plane build it's time to get on with this one. I have made some good progress over the last few days and was able to get the grey paint (Humbrol 128) on the roof, bogies and fuel tanks. Today I applied Phoenix Precisions Prototype Deltic Blue to the body. Once this has set up I can press on with painting some of the finer details.

38873746804_ee6a67273d_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

38873747774_acddc2ab23_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I had a quick mock up of the major components a little while ago.

38873747194_ab14b0219c_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 5

It's nice to see something a little different John.  I used to walk my dog alongside the Severn Valley Railway and I have to admit that, under load, the big diesel locos were every bit as impressive as the steam :coolio:

Cliff

• Like 2

Thanks Cliff. My interest in railway subjects was rekindled a couple of years ago when I built City of Truro for the Made in Britain GB. I bought Kitmasters Evening Star at the same time and this Deltic kit was purchased for last years MiB II GB but failed to make it over the line. This deserved to be included because of the uniqueness of the engines triangular cylinder arrangement.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

this Deltic kit was purchased for last years MiB II GB but failed to make it over the line. This deserved to be included because of the uniqueness of the engines triangular cylinder arrangement.

As I'm sure you know John, there are quite a few animations on the internet.

The two dimensional ones (like this), are OK - but the 3D ones (like this) are a bit more challenging!

Cliff

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CliffB said:

As I'm sure you know John, there are quite a few animations on the internet.

The two dimensional ones (like this), are OK - but the 3D ones (like this) are a bit more challenging!

Cliff

Thanks for sharing that Cliff. I have come across the 2D animation before but this is the first time I have seen a 3D one. When you see it working like that you have to admire the design team who came up with the concept, there must have been some interesting meetings.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot H. I masked up the windows, the kick plates under the doors and the louvered panels on the cab sides today in prep for some paint. The windows and kick plate have had some aluminium whilst the louvre panels were painted black, the louvres and mesh on the roof have also had a wash of Citadels Nuln Oil.

24802079017_d30a0076b1_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

24802078527_0b82eecc0e_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 4