F4U-1d paint conversion

Valleyofvallejo

I have a Tamiya 1/72 F4U-1d & I need to convert the colours from Tamiya to Vallejo Model Color. Here are the paints listed in the instructions:

• AS-8 
  • X-3
  • X-4
  • X-5
  • X-6
  • X-7
  • X-10
  • X-11
  • X-18
  • XF-1
  • XF-3
  • XF-5
  • XF-16
  • XF-19
  • XF-58

What colours do these correspond to in Vallejo Model Colour paints? Which paints re neccesary & which arent?

There are online paint chart conversions,  but I'd not trust their accuracy.

Some of the above should be obvious,  black, white, Alumium.  There are Tamiya paint charts online. 

I  don't know that Vallejo  do more specfic USN colours.

Also, they are Tamiya recommendations from  their paint line,   not always correct, but 'close'

You  want to say what scheme and plane you want to build, and take it  from there,  for example Corsair interior  colours vary depending  on when they were built  and who built them....

Sorry if brusque,  but in a rush.

2 hours ago, Valleyofvallejo said:

I have a Tamiya 1/72 F4U-1d & I need to convert the colours from Tamiya to Vallejo Model Color. Here are the paints listed in the instructions:

• AS-8 
  • X-3
  • X-4
  • X-5
  • X-6
  • X-7
  • X-10
  • X-11
  • X-18
  • XF-1
  • XF-3
  • XF-5
  • XF-16
  • XF-19
  • XF-58

What colours do these correspond to in Vallejo Model Colour paints? Which paints re neccesary & which arent?

In order to answer your question, anybody is going to have to do the same process of looking up the colors on a Tamiya chart and cross-reffing them with Vallejo colors that you would have to yourself. Here's a link to the Tamiya chart:

https://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/feature.php?article-id=72#.Wfn3nNzKPCZ

click on the thumbnail of the chart you want to view.

Here's a link to Vallejo's aircraft color charts:

http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/model-air/family/17

You'll find a specific one for WW2 USN.

• Thanks 1

I have done the conversion for you, I was bored lol.

AS is a Tamiya Spray Paint which doesn't appear to convert but if your aircraft is post 1943 and American Navy this might help with colours

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/stuff_eng_colorcharts_us.htm

Some of the Vallejo paint have two numbers converted from the Tamiya which I have included your just have to compare which is the preferred colour The Ultimate Paint conversions does allow you to preview the colours.

Hope this helps

Tamiya  Name  Vallejo Name 
X3 Royal  Blue  899 Dark Prussian  Blue 
X4 Blue 930 Dark Blue
X5 Green 823 Luftwaffe Camo Green 
X6 Orange  956 Clear Orange 
X7 Red 957 Flat Red 
X10 Brown  872 Chocolate Brown 
X11 Chrome Silver 997 Silver 
X18 Semi Gloss Black  861 Glossy Black 
XF1 Black  169 Black 
XF3 Yellow 952 Lemon Yellow
XF5 Green  968 Flat Green 
XF5 Green  942 Light Green 
XF16 Aluminium  151 White Grey 
XF19 Sky Grey  154 Sky Grey
XF19 Sky Grey  106 Grey Grey 
XF58 Olive Green  895 Gunship Green 
XF58  Olive Green  890 Reflective Green 
AS08 Navy Blue  898

Dark Sea Blue 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Valleyofvallejo said:

I'm asking for model color, not model air.

FWIW, as I look at the Tamiya instructions, there are only three call-outs that aren't straightforward primary colors. AS-8 is Gloss Sea Blue, the overall exterior color. I find an Amazon listing for Vallejo Model Color Dark Sea Blue, no. 70.898. The bottle has an FS listing of 35042, which means it'll be flat, and you'll have to apply some sort of clear gloss coat. Then there's the 2-to-1 mix of XF3 Green and XF5 Yellow, which is the overall cockpit color: it's US Interior Green ANA 611, which is generally matched to FS 34151. That doesn't appear to exist in the Model Color line, although it does in Model Air. US Interior Green is available in a good number of other paint lines if you're not joined at the hip to Vallejo. Finally there's XF19, the call-out for the engine crankcase. I don't know where Tamiya came up with Sky Gray for this since AFAIK it ought to be a pretty dark gray. Looks as if Vallejo 70.994 Dark Gray will get you pretty close. They also have XF19 for the HVAR rockets, which apparently were light gray and olive drab. I have no idea what specific Model Colors will be closest, but here's a link to a site with a couple of color photos; maybe you can figure out what to use or mix:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/7701280-5"-hvar-rockets.html

Edited by Seawinder
  • Thanks 1

On 02/11/2017 at 5:27 AM, Seawinder said:

The bottle has an FS listing of 35042

This helps illustrate my views of FS matches for model making.

For years I held mistaken believes because of FS references on the net and learned here that ANA606,607 and 623 were all different colours yet FSx5042 is quoted as the match for all of them. It is indeed the closest buy that doesn't mean it's actually right for any of them unfortunately and if making models in both schemes the subtleties that should be apparent when they're together are lost.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

This helps illustrate my views of FS matches for model making.

For years I held mistaken believes because of FS references on the net and learned here that ANA606,607 and 623 were all different colours yet FSx5042 is quoted as the match for all of them. It is indeed the closest buy that doesn't mean it's actually right for any of them unfortunately and if making models in both schemes the subtleties that should be apparent when they're together are lost.

Well, since the OP is doing an overall Glossy Sea Blue paint scheme, at least he won't have to contend with the subtle contrast between Non-Specular and Semi-Gloss Sea Blue if it were the earlier 3/4-color scheme. Something else to consider is that few if any paint companies produce the wartime Glossy Sea Blue -- most are the postwar color which was different -- darker and arguably greener, and matched to 15042 according to John M. Elliott in his three-part Monogram color guide; he refers to the postwar color simply as Sea Blue. Going by the chips in his books, there is much less difference in hue between ANA 606, 607 and 623 than there is between any of them and Sea Blue 15042. If the Vallejo color is indeed a matte version of the latter, then one can get closer to 623 by adding some light gray and perhaps a bit of yellow. Also, 623 was notorious for fading (one of the reasons it was replaced), which means there's more leeway from the point of view of color exactitude. None of which, I think/hope, contradicts what you stated. I guess my main point is that it's just about impossible in any case to achieve real accuracy of hue for any of the ANA colors out-of-the-bottle, and given that they all faded/weathered pretty significantly, it probably doesn't really matter.

• Like 2