Bf me109 fuselage center line

cocky05d

Hi ,looking through an model making magazine there was an article about building a 1/72 109, in the article he says that 109s had a center line panel line running along most of the top and the bottom of the fuselage

having spent long time getting rid of the seam lines on 4 1/72 109s i am a bit peeved to say the least .

Had a look on the interweb ,most models of 109s show no such line  .

Any views on the subject would be helpful.

31 minutes ago, cocky05d said:

in the article he says that 109s had a center line panel line running along most of the top and the bottom of the fuselage

they do.   I've seen better walkround images, but it's visible here.

10.jpg

the Bf109 fuselage was like a kit,  in two halves, joined down the centre.

In a rush,  I'll add more later if I can find  better  images

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies ,got loads of 109s in 1.48 and a few in 1/32 ,i will know better next time .

Talking about 109s , seem to have mislaid a Revell 1/72 109g ,with a lot of my kits i used other large kit boxes to store them in

also plastic containers .

In a Italeri 1/35 Tiger 1 box i have four 1/48 plane kits for example ,can't remember where the Revell kit has got to .

I know the feeling - even after I had been told that there should be a line down the spines of my last 109 double build - I still patiently sanded them down and re-instated the panel lines around the circumference - I just like them that way - besides you would be hard pushed to see the spine line on a 1/72 anyway  :D

2 minutes ago, BIG X said:

I know the feeling - even after I had been told that there should be a line down the spines of my last 109 double build - I still patiently sanded them down and re-instated the panel lines around the circumference - I just like them that way - besides you would be hard pushed to see the spine line on a 1/72 anyway  :D

Yeah, it might be right, but it looks so wrong. In any case, in the photos I've seen, it doesn't look prominent enough that an attempt to recreate it on my part would be worth the candle.

• Like 1

I mentioned a missing Revell 109g ,found it along with 2 Revell 1/72 P47ds i had forgotten about

I suppose like most modellers i buy the kits Aldi have in for Christmas .

Around 3 Spitfires

4 P51s

4 P40s

5 Hurricanes .

Got a load of after market decals for the Hurricances ,going to get some SEAC decals for the P47s .

Yip both the bf 109 and bf 110 had this pannel line. This was of the way thay were built in two half s  , then joined together . The one on the bottom of the bf 109 starts from the rear of the panel which solvers the fuel tank and stops at the tail wheel.  The fw 190 had a panel line offsett on the top of the fusalarge as well. witch a lot of modellers miss too

2017-11-01_05-36-30

Edited by Niknak
  • Like 1

And most of them had the panel lines filled with filler during construction, even at the end of the war as there are photos of me 262 with filler over the panel lines and no camouflage paint. 

Here's my take on the Airfix 1:72 Bf 109E-4 - if you look closely you can see the centreline seam. It was a royal pain to make it in this scale. I didn't know about the offset when I built the kit, that would have made it even more of a pain!  :)

100_5166

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

All the Bf-109s I've built lately (a Bf 109D-1, Bf 109E-7, Bf 109F-2, Bf 109K-4, all in the gentleman's scale), I've tried to put that wretched line in, with varying degrees of success. Blasted Nazis - still making things difficult for us all these decades later! Lovely Emil there, by the way, Bill!

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Additional comment added.
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Here's my take on the Airfix 1:72 Bf 109E-4 - if you look closely you can see the centreline seam. It was a royal pain to make it in this scale. I didn't know about the offset when I built the kit, that would have made it even more of a pain!  :)

100_5166

Cheers,

Bill

That's the Airfix kit? No way! What a beautiful job! Noticed you got the ailerons drooped with the flaps down! Well done, sir! Perfect choice of markings and a perfect paint/weathering job!

Mike

• Like 2

On 11/1/2017 at 8:27 AM, cocky05d said:

Hi ,looking through an model making magazine there was an article about building a 1/72 109, in the article he says that 109s had a center line panel line running along most of the top and the bottom of the fuselage

having spent long time getting rid of the seam lines on 4 1/72 109s i am a bit peeved to say the least .

Had a look on the interweb ,most models of 109s show no such line  .

Any views on the subject would be helpful.

It's something that a lot of modelers miss.  I believe that you will find this center line is also present on the Me.110 and other Messerschmitt aircraft.

21 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

100_5166

Cheers,

Bill

Impressive looking model. Why was it a pain to add the seam?

On 02/11/2017 at 12:21 PM, Vanroon said:

I am about to get back to a 1/48 Hasegawa kit. My plan was to mask parallel to the seam and fill to represent the overlap construction. 

G

I don't see the point in doing this unless you are going to do the same to all the other fuselage lap joints - it will just look odd representing the same type of joint two different ways. I would just scribe it to match the rest.

Edited by Tbolt

6 hours ago, 72modeler said:

That's the Airfix kit? No way! What a beautiful job! Noticed you got the ailerons drooped with the flaps down! Well done, sir! Perfect choice of markings and a perfect paint/weathering job!

Thanks Mike. Yeah, this is the new tool Airfix 109. WIP and RFI here. It's a sweet little kit, well worth the pocket change. I tried to get the ailerons down at 11 degrees 'cause I read somewhere that's the angle they were parked at. I know next to nothing about 109s, but I know that others do and they'd be checking me! I think the slats should also be deployed when on the ground, but in my case Der Erksters stowed them prior to the photo shoot.  :) 

38 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

Impressive looking model. Why was it a pain to add the seam?

Well, I decided to clean up the fuselage halves really well and just use the natural seam of the model. But I had to do it several times until I got a "panel line" that was consistent and finer than the other panel lines on the kit. Not difficult, just a pain. My first and only 109 model, by the way - I'm so contrarian. 

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Thanks Mike. Yeah, this is the new tool Airfix 109. WIP and RFI here. It's a sweet little kit, well worth the pocket change. I tried to get the ailerons down at 11 degrees 'cause I read somewhere that's the angle they were parked at. I know next to nothing about 109s, but I know that others do and they'd be checking me! I think the slats should also be deployed when on the ground, but in my case Der Erksters stowed them prior to the photo shoot.  :) 

Well, I decided to clean up the fuselage halves really well and just use the natural seam of the model. But I had to do it several times until I got a "panel line" that was consistent and finer than the other panel lines on the kit. Not difficult, just a pain. My first and only 109 model, by the way - I'm so contrarian. 

Cheers,

Bill

Bill,

Regarding your concern about having the slats on your model in, check out this great article I found recently; looks like you can have them in or out on the ground- check out Gunter Rall's comments; the man should know what he's talking about! If you look at photos, very few show the slats out. You done good, as we say here in the Lone Star state!

Mike

http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/techref/systems/control/slats/slats.htm

Edited by 72modeler
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2