Lindberg P51

Uncle Pete

My Lindberg P51B landed on the doorstep this morning.  Seems a bit light on detail... Doesn't seem to have a cockpit interior.  I'm extremely inexperienced (only two models on the shelf so far) and want to ask you old hands, it was 99p on Ebay... You get what you pay for?  Can I expect this to build reasonably well or is it just a practice plane for exterior painting?  On the good side, the parts look to be fairly cleanly made with no flash problems, there just aren't that many of them.

assuming it's this one

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/179071-lindberg-482-60-north-american-p-51b-mustang

967001-MLM20262734264_032015-C.jpg

it originates from 1967 according to Scalemates.

No idea how it  will build,  but it  looks to be of  it's era.  Unless you want to try scratchbuilding I'd suggest build  as is and work on the basics.

But for a bit  more you could get a much better kit.

34 minutes ago, Uncle Pete said:

I'm extremely inexperienced (only two models on the shelf so far) and want to ask you old hands, it was 99p on Ebay... You get what you pay for?  Can I expect this to build reasonably well or is it just a practice plane for exterior painting? 

Hmm,  you  may want define, or try to define, what you want from a  kit, and how you want to spend.

There are lots of 72nd models (or 48th) that can be got pretty cheaply new,  and are modern toolings. 

There are threads here on bargains, (you may no be able to view as it's the Sale section?)

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/91-bargains/

If you just want some cheap kits to practice on, eg it seems TK Maxx have some cheap Airfix,   Aldi often have Airfix starter sets in the run to  Christmas.

MJW models (Mike  post here often) have a wide selection, and they have Eduard weekend boxings for less than retail.

The Works have had  some  reduced Airfix kits,  including stater and box sets with paint/glue.,   and these were new tool kits

Which bring me back to "what do you want"  ?   Detail? Accuracy? Ease of construction?  Cost? Subjects?

Plenty of helpful and knowledgeable members here of all abilities,  who will try to answer your questions,   but you  do  need to be a bit  more specific in your requests.

Sorry if this sounds like a lecture,  I'm just trying to give some tips on  how to get the best from BM,  as it is a friendly,  helpful and supportive community at  it's best.

HTH

T

• Like 1

Basically, what Troy said. 

I made the mistake of buying a Lindberg 1/48 X-3 (because it's the only kit in that scale). The cockpit 'detail' consisted of what looked like an armchair and a gross misshapen blob which apparently is a pilot figure, nothing else, not even an instrument panel. It looked like the bailiffs had called. I had some fun scratch building something a little more convincing, but I wouldn't buy another Lindberg. Cheap for a very good reason.

As Troy said, you don't have to pay much more to get decent quality, Eduard Weekend kits are usually a bargain. I would recommend that you read reviews before you buy.

• Like 1

Uncle pete ... all of the above are great advice. May i offer a friendly piece of advice ? You say this is number 3 ? That you’ve only got two kits done on the shelve. I would suggest just build the lindberg as is but starting with this kit try to use it as a learning tool. I suggest with each new kit you try and use the kit for a new technique. Whether it is scratch-building or sanding/filling, rescribing panel lines, or painting. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

Thanks for the input, lads.  The price of kits isn't really an issue... I spill the cost of a Spitfire when I stir my latte at Costa.  I just saw that plane while poking around in the innertubes and though, "A quid?  Why not."  Struck me as a sporting proposition.  I'm going with the practice plane concept, I think.  Maybe I'll save the 617 livery for when I get a better 'Stang... Probably in a week assuming I can sneak it past Auntie... She already thinks I'm ready for the laughing academy.

• Like 1

If you check the IPMS (international plastic modelling society) UK website you might find a model club near you. It can be great to get tips from more experienced people and you usually have a laugh as well. You might find it useful to visit a few model shows ; sometimes possible to pick up cheap kits, paints, told etc and it will give you a chance to develop your particular area of interest.

• Like 2

Basically you are right Pete. Use it to build up your experience. If you ruin it no great loss. Better on a 99p kit than an expensive Tamiya or whatever. Besides even a cheapo kit looks good finished. 

My problem is that I can't bear to ruin even a cheap kit so I never finish anything.

• Like 2