Cunard Queen Elizabeth 2, Otaki 1:450

Well I'm going to call this one done.  The work in progress thread is here:

I finished off the window details yesterday with the Tamiya panel line accent color. 

I really enjoyed doing a ship for a change, and I'm really impressed with the result of this kit.  The mouldings are superb, and there were really no fit issues.  I tried to de-yellow the decal sheet as much as I could, but there's still a tinge of yellow.  

I couldn't find any dates on the instructions or the box for this kit, but I know that it is old.  The moulding represents the ship before any refit, and comparing it to newer photos of the ship, there are a lot of differences.  I didn't follow the colours from the instructions precisely (which say to paint the rooves green, and the funnel white).

I've started the next project, the Revell Queen Mary 2 in 1:400, but I saw someone else has started a build thread.

IMG_2929

IMG_2930

IMG_2931

IMG_2932

IMG_2934

IMG_2935

IMG_2938

IMG_2937

IMG_2936

• Like 15

59 minutes ago, BluesModeller said:

Looks fantastic!

Your QM2 will be a stunner if it’s done to this high a standard.

Thank you.  I'm really not looking forward to fiddling about with all of the glazing on the QM2... 

Painting the frames is going to be a nightmare, I know it.

Nice build there. I like those stands. Did they come with the kit or did you get them separately ?

The pic with the QMII in makes me want to do her again...so much so I came across a rare listing for that kit, in the UK, for a realistic price...so of course I grabbed it!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dominic_2005 said:

Nice build there. I like those stands. Did they come with the kit or did you get them separately ?

The pic with the QMII in makes me want to do her again...so much so I came across a rare listing for that kit, in the UK, for a realistic price...so of course I grabbed it!

The stands and the name plate came with the kit, moulded in sprues as well.  The barrels are gold-coloured plastic, which look good until you touch them and realize they're flimsy plastic.

I'm wondering where to put just one QM2 - I'd need another building to house two of them!

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/11/2017 at 16:46, Gimme Shelter said:

A splendid looking and most beautiful ship - very nicely modelled

I saw her just the once - your model is a great reminder of just what a wonderful vessel she was

I never got to see it!  I used to live in Southsea, and I used to watch the cruise ships sailing in and out of Southampton in the distance, but I never once saw the QE2.  It's sad to see that nothing has become of it since its retirement, just languishing like the old Concorde at Heathrow...