1/6th Vincent Black Shadow

Hi, long time since I ventured forth here.

I have been asked to make a master of a Vincent Black Shadow in the huge scale of 1/6th.  This will be largely in brass, with a few parts in Ureol (Renshape), where the brass work would be too long winded.

Finding a real bike to measure was a nightmare as these bits of tin are now worth so much that people don't want to admit having one.  But I found some at a local show and that led me to a private collection not too far away, so with that I was able to make some drawings and make a start.

I hadn't thought about doing a build log on here, so a lot of stuff has already been done.

001_zpsfwstpunf.jpg

001_zps4s9j4qpp.jpg

001_zpstttm9uos.jpg

001_zpsifukapud.jpg

And that, until I have a LOT more bits done is all I'll be putting up as the interminable faff of using Photobucket makes this completely untenable nowadays.

Martin

• Like 9

Thanks for the kind words.  Yes this will be a kit, albeit a rather expensive one I imagine.  I'm just doing the master!

Alas, the Photobucket thing is SO slow that I doubt I'll be keeping it going on a very regular basis, but will make posts when there's a fair bit of progress.

Cheers,

Martin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Well, when you consider that the Japanese 1/9th kit is £400, you may be sure that this, which is 50% bigger and has every nut and bolt will be substantially more expensive. The increased weight of white metal is considerable, plus resin casting of certain big parts and the fact that the engine casings and one or two other parts have had to go away to a different caster who can cope with BIG castings, which my local guy can't handle.  Then the chain kit alone is £30, plus the sets of spokes which are bought in WITH their tiny eyelets which form the nipples.  The decals are also a small fortune!  Big boxes ain't cheap either. The instructions will be of the photographic kind (against my better judgement, but then I used to be a technical illustrator!)

So, all in all, you need to start saving. I can't be any more accurate than that.  Especially as the owner hasn't had the final casting bills yet.  But I can say that a BSA Gold Star is the next full bike, after versions of the Black Shadow have been done.

Cheers,

Martin

Hi folks, Richard, the Vincent man, has opened a Facebook page with regular updates on the production of the kit.  Some of the bought in services are frighteningly expensive, but are top notch and you get what you pay for, so kit price will seem quite high, but have a look at www.facebook.com/groups/260314371337243/ and you will see pictures of master parts, etc. and even first castings as they come in.

Cheers,

Martin

• Like 1

The Perspex cases are the very least of it, trust me!  With Silicon Rubber, Polyurethane resin and urethane rubbers all around £30 a litre.  White metal has quadrupled in price in the last 18 months, especially for the better qualities, mould costs and decals are also very high.  

I should be picking up another 3 or 4 mould's worth of parts on Friday for checking.  

It'll be for the company owner to announce the kit price when his final bills have come in!

Martin

One for the Purist's. My Dad sold his one 2 years back, got good Coin for it too

Love to make one for him but cant really pay out that money for a kit. Looks like he will have to stick with the Matchbox one!

Nearer your than anyone else's so far, Steve.  But he is still waiting for final bills to work out a finished price for the Black Shadow. As soon as I have parts to modify I shall be doing the Black Lightning racer version.  Both should be launched officially at the Stafford bike show in April 2019.

Cheers,

Martin

• Like 1