1/48 F-104J/DJ JASDF

Excellent work Craig, the cockpits look fantastic and the blue looks very good imho! On the decal masking, from bad prior experience I've never been able to fully mask over a decal without damage (even reducing the tac) and with multiple clear layers over it etc.. So instead I tried cutting out a piece of paper slightly bigger than the decal, placing that over the decal with small masking tape 'tabs' to secure in place, then continue masking around and over the paper (decal) as per norm, so only paper touches the decal and no risk of coming off with the tape, 100% success rate so far! 

Look forward to more,

David 

• Like 1

Thanks Cliff and David.

I have to admit that I was more than a little afraid of how this was going to work out, anyway lets have a look at how it went in stages. The first stage was deciding which of the "blue" camouflaged aircraft I would build as there were around 5 at least that carried this scheme and after looking at what I could make from the Hasegawa sheet I decided upon 76-8710 and applied the numbers and squadron marking which gave me a tail looking like this;

25563869768_d5cd8387db_o_d.jpg

The next job was to mask it for which I used Tamiya tape from a selection of "well used" pieces I have which I hoped would lessen the chances of pulling off the decals. I cut the tape up into many different shaped and sized pieces and covered the decal, taking care not to press them down too hard, which gave me this;

39433921681_042f5f22fc_o_d.jpg

As you can see I also applied the blu-tak worms to get the scalloped look of the camouflage scheme and it was then time to mix and spray the darker blue top colours, once again I used Xtracrylix RLM 65 but mixed to a 50/50 ratio (roughly) with Gunze H322 (the same one I added just a drop or two of to the RLM-65 to achieve the lower surface colour) and sprayed it onto the entire uppersurfaces which gave me this;

39433928661_2d255c178d_o_d.jpg

And that made it the moment of truth, would it have worked? Would some of the decals have come off too? Would the F-104 be going on an impromptu flying lesson? Well after a few minutes of holding my breath and peeling as delicately as possible this is what I had;

39433935091_1450830da2_o_d.jpg

YES!!!!!!!!!!!! And just to prove it wasn't a total fluke here is the other side;

38725978664_f4c0a63558_o_d.jpg

Am I happy with that? You bet I am! The only casualty paint wise was a couple of very small area where some came off with the blu-tak but that will be easily put right. I am quite pleased with hos she looks at the moment and here is a shot of the whole fuselage;

38725975094_9aa3a8abec_o_d.jpg

I need to do some more (careful) masking for the radome, canopy and intakes but that can wait for another day as I don't want to push my luck! I may also apply some coats of Klear to help protect the paint before I add any more masking.

Well that's it for today, thanks for looking in and a Happy New Year to all of you, and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 10

On 12/31/2017 at 1:57 PM, CliffB said:

I'll be going with my kit's Tamiya recommendations XF-23 Light Blue and XF-18 Medium Blue. 

Cliff I looked at these colours when I was trying to decide which to use on my build, I took along a book with a very good clear picture and could not find anything which matched it in either Tamiya, Gunze or Vallejo straight from the pot, and believe me I spent a lot of time looking, which is why I chose the nearest I could and decided to mix the colours I needed from them. I'm not saying mine are perfect but I am happy with how they look.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally managed to get some spare time and enthusiasm to coincide!

After quite a few coats of Klear applied by a wide flat brush I have been able to apply the decals, which I got done over the weekend. These also had some Klear brushed over them and then I could do some weathering in the form of highlighting the panel lines with a wash, I am not doing much more weathering as Japanese aircraft in general are kept in very clean condition and the ACM meet camouflage isn't usually applied for too long so it doesn't get a chance to get too weathered, although there are exceptions, anyway here are some pics to show how she looks at the moment;

An over-all shot of the fuselage.

24842192077_bc980e42bb_o_d.jpg

A couple of shots of the forward fuselage.

24842195997_5f343795ec_o_d.jpg

27932294609_7c9c615d8e_o_d.jpg

The tail area.

27932501219_6108c730bd_o_d.jpg

And finally the wings.

27932292359_b4c7f41c80_o_d.jpg

Due to the fast approaching deadline and a lack of spare time (and enthusiasm at times) I am going to concentrate on finishing the single seater rather than try to do both, not helped by the fact that I have misplaced the main gear doors for it.

Thanks for looking in and being patient, as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Its looks splendid!

You already overtook my build.... no decals and no clear coat yet....

Thanks Werner.

She is getting there, but the last little things always seem to take me longer to do!

I am really liking your Spanish F-104 by the way, very nice work indeed.

• Like 1

As promised here is a proper update on where things stand at the minute.

Since the last update I have finished the decalling and weathering and have given everything a coat of matt varnish which has helped tone things down a lot and made the colours come closer to those on the pictures I have found of this particular a/c and this is how she looked afterwards;

39822538791_b390252449_o_d.jpg

I next completed the undercarriage and fitted it all in place and was very relieved to find (as you can see above) that she isn't a tail sitter, yes! Here's a look from underneath;

38923695405_11d75ab0e2_o_d.jpg

After this I added all the little "sticky out bits" on the forward fuselage, the horizontal tail surfaces and then push fitted the wings into place which gave me this;

28044115269_5f149a7ed3_o_d.jpg

28044119689_9c5c2422ae_o_d.jpg

28044123649_979f0cd1c8_o_d.jpg

With this work done the majority of the main airframe work is complete with just the many little things to do before completion such as the ejector seat, main canopy and the fitting of the centre-line dual missile launcher which has been built up (apart from the clear parts at the rear of each rail) and a coat of white paint applied. here it is;

38923708805_434ecb74cc_o_d.jpg

It needs weathering a bit and the rear parts adding then it will be fixed  in place.

Well that's how things stand at the moment, hopefully there will be a bit more progress before the end of the week. Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, mirageiv said:

:worthy: Got to be one of the best F-104 schemes out there, 100% will plan to make one after seeing this. Certainly doing it justice Craig, really fantastic!

Thanks David much appreciated.

There are some cracking schemes for JASDF F-104's from the Air Combat Meets and I will build some more. I look forward to seeing you build one!

46 minutes ago, Lex77 said:

Very nice and colourfull!

Almost there.

Thanks Lex.

Yes hopefully I will get her across the finish line in time.

• Like 1

Hi Craig. I am sorry I'm a lot late to the party here. Not my usual area of GBs to look in. Anyway - your build is looking superb. The work on the cockpit is awesome - and I am especially impressed by the fabric effect you achieved for the coaming is amazing. The paintwork and camo plus all your work on the markings is absolutely first rate! :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 1

Thanks for the input guys.

This should be the last update before she finally gets finished.

The seat was finished off and then offered up to the cockpit and needed a lot of material removing from the bottom of it before it would sit at the correct height to enable the canopy to close, here are some pictures of how she looks with the seat in place;

25056779777_05a7581e78_o_d.jpg

28148027779_89fbb19711_o_d.jpg

39895622282_a03a604b0f_o_d.jpg

And the main canopy itself;

28148038299_2a31cafc50_o_d.jpg

Pretty much all that remains to do is to fit the canopy in place, I'm leaning towards having the canopy closed on this one to keep the sleek lines of the real thing as I already have a Canadian one I built earlier with the canopy open and might do the canopies open on the 2 seater (when I get around the finishing it!).

That's it for today, thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 5