1/48 F-104J/DJ JASDF

Time to narrow down my options for at least one build for this GB.

The plan at the minute is to do one European and one Asian F-104 (although this may change!) and for the Asian one I have decided to go with an aircraft from the JASDF who were a major user of the type and had them on strength until 1986. The next problem is which JASDF one to do, a single seat J or a twin seat DJ.

38084583461_7e295169a4_o_d.jpg

Both kits are unstarted as you can see below.

38084588611_c81059bc07_o_d.jpg

And both come with very comprehensive and impressive decal sheets.

38084593461_48a9a7e301_o_d.jpg

Should be able to build every F-104 to serve with the JASDF from them! The only issue with the sheets is the usual Hasegawa inability to actually make the white on the decals white as it is a creamy colour, might try the "stick them to the window and hope that it lightens them" trick. but if they weren't enough options I have an aftermarket set from Two Bobs (who can make white white).

38084599091_2c951d7187_o_d.jpg

Can't beat an aggressor scheme! Here's a closer look at the options.

24232179448_65ed161d47_o_d.jpg

Very drawn to the one at the bottom, although I am also contemplating another one from the "Panda Bears" in grey and white which looks very smart and had rocket pods under the wings and it doesn't seem fair to only build F-104J's from the one squadron. And then there's the option of a DJ in the camo colours usually worn by Mitsubishi F-1's, oh dear decisions, decisions! At least I have until Saturday to make my mind up!

Craig.

• Like 7

I may add that another difficult decision with an F-104J is the colour scheme... natural metal ? Grey ? Or one of the dozens of experimental camouflage schemes worn by these aircrafts during the years ?

There's a good selection of schemes here:

http://kamuflazs-camouflage.blogspot.it/2011/06/kulonleges-festesu-japan-f-104-esek.html

• Like 6

Nice to see a double build!

The Japanese ones sure had some nice colour schemes.

If you want to build a European F-104G out of the F-104J box beware of the difference in the wheel doors. The European had the bulged doors on them.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lex77 said:

If you want to build a European F-104G out of the F-104J box beware of the difference in the wheel doors. The European had the bulged doors on them.

They did... but not all did.

Ok, not really related to this thread, but as it's mentioned here I'm jumping in and say that yes, the proper Gs had bulged doors for the wider main wheels, however this feature did not appear from the very beginning and a number of early G model Starfighters had narrow wheels and non bulged doors. How many ? Hard to tell. Which ones ? Really, only checking pictures it's possible to tell which aircraft had the narrow wheels. Did these aircrafts retain the narrow wheels ? Don't know, probably not and I woulnd't be surprised to find that in the end all received the wider wheels.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lex77 said:

Nice to see a double build!

The Japanese ones sure had some nice colour schemes.

Thanks Lex,

I am definitely going with a JASDF scheme for the single seater but have changed my mind as to which one. It will still be in one of the temporary schemes used in one of the tactical weapons meets and I am thinking along the lines of the scheme depicted below.

38216542191_c3f542d1cc_o_d.jpg

37505595494_e0341207d8_o_d.jpg

37505604064_f1e084b8e4_o_d.jpg

Despite the apparent differences in colour I believe they are all painted the same and that it is just a trick of the film. The one problem is that the colours on the Hasegawa sheet for everything other than the black codes are way off so I might have to make some masks and spray them, including the hinomaru.

2 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

They did... but not all did.

Ok, not really related to this thread, but as it's mentioned here I'm jumping in and say that yes, the proper Gs had bulged doors for the wider main wheels, however this feature did not appear from the very beginning and a number of early G model Starfighters had narrow wheels and non bulged doors. How many ? Hard to tell. Which ones ? Really, only checking pictures it's possible to tell which aircraft had the narrow wheels. Did these aircrafts retain the narrow wheels ? Don't know, probably not and I woulnd't be surprised to find that in the end all received the wider wheels.

Yet more great info Giorgio, you really do know your Starfighters!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Red Dot said:

bet you haven't made up your mind yet :-)

I'll be home soon to help you along the way.................

Andy

You know me too well Andy!

Of course I haven't made my mind up yet, but I am getting there.

5 hours ago, franky boy said:

Watching with interest....

Thanks for the interest.

No much to report yet and there will be no progress this weekend as I'm in Telford all weekend. Hopefully I will make a proper start next week.

Finally a little bit of progress to report!

Not a huge amount of work done but it is at least progress. The main undercarriage bays have been assembled and fitted in place on both kits, they go together very well and cause no problems. here is a picture of the single seater. the two seater is indentical.

24547909218_aefb0876d5_o_d.jpg

The cockpit is not fitted in place yet as I haven't started painting it yet.

I have also painted and built up the engine exhaust sections of both kits so the following pictures show how both looked during the painting stage prior to being assembled.

24549821878_9b23cfc724_o_d.jpg

38420878531_beb70c0c0b_o_d.jpg

A bit more weathering to do on the actual exhaust but I'm happy with how things look so far.

Next job is to make a start on the cockpit.

Craig.

• Like 8

Very interesting choices again Craig, that blue camo single seater in post 11 is one of the best F-104 schemes I have seen yet, I look forward to that one in particular! The exhaust looks bang on, this will be a great watch.

:popcorn: 

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 1

And just to prove I have been working on the kits here are some pictures of how things stand at the moment.

We will start with the cockpit tubs themselves, which are straight from the kit (so far) and have just been painted and dry-brushed and then some detail painting.

37632248955_1d4bec2865_o_d.jpg

And a closer look at one of them.

37632252265_cd47ac5798_o_d.jpg

As you can see I need to do a bit more on the back walls.

And now the instrument panels which have had the same treatment as the tubs and are complete.

37803344624_6f385eda9d_o_d.jpg

And again a slightly closer (and out of focus!) look at one of them.

37803346674_1454a74733_o_d.jpg

The only addition neede is the canopy release handle, which I have added from some wire and painted yellow and black.

And the seats as they look at the minute, these are only part way through the painting process with lots yet to do.

24646653268_6fa0ff0214_o_d.jpg

Now I'm sure many of you will have noticed that there are more parts there than are needed for the kits I'm building at the moment and you are right, I thought I might as well paint the extras I have that come in the DJ kit (virtually a complete spare cockpit) and some extra resin bits in case I get the urge to build another one.

I though I would also take his opportunity to show you some of the references I am using.

38519457231_0fd8921ec1_o_d.jpg

Those particular Koku Fans are very useful as they have photo coverage of one of the ACM's and even drawings of the camo schemes, like this one;

37803361424_fb15b140c1_o_d.jpg

Now my Japanese is non-existent but the drawings show the camo patterns and the colours can be worked out from photos, and yes there will be one or two F-4EJ's in the temporary schemes before too long!

That's it for now, thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 8

On 11/1/2017 at 12:57 PM, Giorgio N said:

I may add that another difficult decision with an F-104J is the colour scheme... natural metal ? Grey ? Or one of the dozens of experimental camouflage schemes worn by these aircrafts during the years ?

There's a good selection of schemes here:

http://kamuflazs-camouflage.blogspot.it/2011/06/kulonleges-festesu-japan-f-104-esek.html

wow that's a good resource!

• Like 2