1/48 Eduard Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc RAF 310 Sqn

Nice looking Spit! I have a couple Eduard kits in the stash and I really must get going on one these days.

One thing you may wish to bear in mind if you decide to do another one is that the propeller blades were actually made of wood with a brass leading edge, so aluminum chipping would not be strictly accurate.

Hoe6vte.jpg

Very nicely done - those masks worked a treat, and you've drooped the elevators.  One point though, crowbars were not painted red until after the war. During the war they were usually silver (steel) or Interior Green and occasionally black.

9 hours ago, madcat911 said:

I'll take note of the stuff mentioned and apply them on my next Spitfire build. Just got the 1/32 Revell Mk.IX from the store today.

Hi mark

A really  well exceuted and finished build.

You have  been given some pointers to detail glitches,   maybe some illustrations will be of use

I'll link  @Etiennedup great flickr

here's  are the Spitfires,  have a browse,

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=8270787@N07&q=spitfire

I'll  pick  a few for  specific points

this is a XIV,  but shows chipping on the brass sheats of the Jablo blades, note the brass.

3690539310_6cf2a9e36e_o.jpgSpitfire XIVE by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

scuff only hppen on the  back of the blades if they do occur BTW

crowbar

10873499976_8f09a4616c_o.jpgSpitfire Pilot. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flick

regarding weathering and chipping, I suspect you have looked  at other models (looks a bit Spanish School)  which is fine for dramatic effect,  but the real thing just does not end uplooking like this.

a couple of examples

Here's an old IX, saw service, now with a training unit

7617060184_3fb64dd173_o.jpgSpitfire Mk.IXC      1945 by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

Note that while there is some very minor chipping on the actual panel screws,  just how well the paint stands up.  

Here a Spit Mk.21  in 1947, Auxilary Air Force

7099674243_2633888d24_o.jpgSpitfire F 21. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

Note, this is  a couple of years old  in a 2nd line squadron post war,  and while faded and worn,  but very little chipping. 

Note also the roundel colour,  wartime Red is brick red, the blue a dark blue,  there are mixes for Tamiya  paint, not sure what you use, but it  looks too bright red and too blue,  though this maybe just lighting.

Have a good look at the photo in the link, even if they are  other versions/markings,  as period colour can show  subtle details B/W just can't.  

I'm saying this as you evidently have construction and painting skills to be jealous of,  but some careful study of the real thing, and I think you will  easily  replicate the actual details,   and make an even better model,  assuming that is  what you are aiming  for,  which seems to be  the case.

cheers

T

• Like 3