Intra DC-3 G-AMPY(2)!!!!!

Just finished this one as well. Built alongside my 1/144 Catalina/Canso.  This one was a commission build. Airfix DC-3/C-47 kit, 26 Decals and some mods and additions. Very much like one I did for my self some while back. ( you may recall it?)  

IMG_2940_zpsosk0w8kt.jpg

IMG_2939_zpsf4krnox1.jpg

IMG_2938_zpsrqlxhfw8.jpg

IMG_2937_zpsrb7zpffm.jpg

IMG_2936_zpseydna2er.jpg

IMG_2934_zpscbd7uxir.jpg

IMG_2932_zpsacceliaj.jpg

(My one is on the right)

IMG_2930_zpsdandyhig.jpg

(My original build is on right)

These last two pics my original build is along side the new one. Additions made were the extra windows to front end of fuselage and one by the door at rear, roof top vents( missing on my one since I did not have good enough pics that revealed these and I was sent pics showing these so this time I fitted them from small pieces of plastic card strip). Lined the cabin interior with paper,cut out the paper for the windows, added passenger seats from an ESCI kit, replaced exhausts with resin aftermarket items and had fun sorting out the colour division around the nose that ended up very well as the decals fitted perfectly around the division much to my pleasure!  Also removed the venturi tube on port side of forward fuselage near where the new window is fitted, blanked off the astrodome opening, engraved/ scribed in cockpit roof top escape hatch  and added the fin leading edge de-icing strip not shown on the Airfix mouldings.  The passenger door has had wire pins fitted in to tiny holes in the hinges to allow the door to stay in place too!

I am just hoping my client will like it... He used to fly 'MPY!!!  

• Like 20

I Just love Dakotas! Have 5 1/72nd ones and 3 in 1/144 in my built collection. The 1/72 ones include two Airfix and three Italeri ....at the moment.  The 1/144 are two Minicraft and one Roden. Just ordered two more Roden gunship versions but they will be civilianised. Oh, and two DC-2 in 1/144 by CMR one civvy and one military.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul J said:

I Just love Dakotas! Have 5 1/72nd ones and 3 in 1/144 in my built collection. The 1/72 ones include two Airfix and three Italeri ....at the moment.  The 1/144 are two Minicraft and one Roden. Just ordered two more Roden gunship versions but they will be civilianised. Oh, and two DC-2 in 1/144 by CMR one civvy and one military.

The same for me Paul, i traded in my 16 Italeri ones for 12 new tools from Airfix and i love to see others infected with the Dakota virus...

Nice Daks.

Anyone have thoughts about where to get some passenger seats for Dakotas (other than buying, and gutting other kits) ?

I want to knock a couple of passenger versions up, I did think about the model train world but I can't see anything.

26 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

Nice Daks.

Anyone have thoughts about where to get some passenger seats for Dakotas (other than buying, and gutting other kits) ?

I want to knock a couple of passenger versions up, I did think about the model train world but I can't see anything.

In hindsight It would have been a good thing if I had copies  made of the ESCI ones from their kit. But I had time against me to get this one done.  I do have a lot of other seats that could be adapted but would need to re[licate them ien masse me thinks.

Thought 'MPY was a familiar Reg. I went on it when I was working at Cooventray Airport (sic) Air Frantics pollution control ship 1999.

Good work Paul,they look ace !

5 hours ago, Army_Air_Force said:

This model made me smile! I flew on G-AMPY from Cranfield back in 1985.

c47z.jpg

Nice! I did see MPY in this scheme but never got a pic of it.  I too flew in MPY but as Intra and as per my two builds shown above. My one was done as part of a long term theme of building models of types I've flown in... with the exception of Orange  and other Airbusses!.

• Like 1