Revell 1/24 HLF20 Varus 4x4

kpnuts

Not sure what's happening here. Trying to paint the rad and fan blade washed the sprue as normal in soapy water but the paint won't stick I've primed it and taken it off 3 times (other parts on the same sprue were fine first time) the rad and the fan blade just won't seem to take the paint (it looks like a grease problem) I've scrubbed it with meths even but still get the same problem.

Help.

Hi all done a bit more to this super detailed chassis (Not done a truck before I'm amazed how much detail there is just in the chassis) I think I'm only about half way through it.

2zsxuyq.jpg

I've started on the cab also. I used foil on the roof 

30bdbva.jpg

I think it looks too clean so I weathered it a bit and added some other details.

28vzrq8.jpg

mb24k2.jpg

• Like 1

Done a bit more to this amazing kit, the fit of parts is perfect, they really have done a great job of this kit the parts are such a good fit I've used no glue on any of this part.
53lenc.jpg
2uxy0pe.jpg
nqu15x.jpg
r1l7aq.jpg

Hi all I love this kit, the fit is exceptionally good and the detail is great, again no glue 

2gt4z1v.jpg

64p9bq.jpg

I tried a failed experiment the instructions say aluminium for this part so I tried aluminium foil

mw9mdz.jpg

Yes I could try again but there are far more complex bits that have an aluminium background and this looks awful so I think I will use paint (although the ally doors will be simple enough with foil)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all I'm wondering if on the real thing these compartments are hinged some how
doscc2.jpg
After adding this detail the other bit fits over the top like this
15nsidh.jpg
There are handles at the bottom of the outer shelving I'm wondering if I can some how make the parts hinged to show all the detail, there is loads of shelving like this and it would be a shame to hide all the detail.
Yes I could just not glue them so they are removable but I would like to try and make them as they are on the real thing.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all here is the next update, I would really love to add lighting to this but can’t find leds small enough.
2qsbh9z.jpg
5dme4w.jpg
It’s a good job I’ve not glued the cab on yet as I’ve missed some painting
dea0zt.jpg

Hi 

I have started a post ref the same kit,ref installing leds/smds etc (simple way no soldering etc, all pre-wired and resistors to the voltage that you will be using,recommened 12v for max prightness), check the SALE/AUCTION sites etc there are plenty of different sizes and colours + actions (static/flashing/dual) with micro wires.

a couple of links I have used.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Micro-12v-SMD-0805-LEDs-for-Lights-on-Cars-Trains-even-Spaceships-Etc-4pcs/253227830215?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=552340660030&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cold-WHITE-micro-LED-Lights-2mm-Scenery-Miniature-lighting-train-infinity/282446651677?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pre-Wired-3-LEDs-Strip-Light-2pcs-Self-Adhesive-Flexible-12v-Bright-White/253227553717?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

keep up the build. I started bottom about face with the rear unit then the main cab, then I will do the chassis,

Any queries ref lighting send me a message, I will follow your build & you can following my attempt at lighting,

Its good to share what little knowledge we have !!!!!!!!

EDDIE

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all here's another update, I thought I could improve this bit so I cut the moulded on straps off and made some of my own

w1s6zo.jpg

24b9pqv.jpg

Then I thought to myself I can improve on that too.

21cwhsw.jpg

I do think my bench is getting quite full (and this is not all I'm working on)

2v36jac.jpg

Here's an assortment of the accessories so far made for this.

dxi8i.jpg