TAMIYA (PANZER III AUSF L Conversion) - Sturminfanteriegeschutz 33

Cheers Stix

Its been. Fun one overall. Had some tough things to fix here and there. Just the tracks, some weld lines and minor PE detail. Then primed for now until I can get the compressor sorted one day. Mine are going to be build logs only until then 😩

still. I do enjoy the challenge in the building stage 

thanks again

Simon

• 1 month later...

jEi6pPx.jpgWell, here she is. Finally done. Just some very small touch ups here and there.....but overall complete. Awaiting it's undercoat. That's when I'll see all the "issues" to fix.....:o........ I still have to add the tow cable along with a second shackle pin and chain.

wpeKb3U.jpgVEeF86v.jpg

Looking forward to getting the undercoat on and have it all in one colour.

xcMGGrE.jpg

The last thing to add will be the arial. It won't last the painting and weathering stage.

JLSNp6M.jpg

9yTb6fT.jpgManaged to drill out the pin location for the spare tracks that came with the kit. Didn't fancy using the Friuls, I'll keep the excess for later kit's if I need spares. Panzer III chassis will be common in my panzer division...:D......Well, hope you like it so far. Time to figure out the painting now.

All the best.

Simon.

• Like 10

Oh yeah, nearly forgot. The screens are missing on the exhausts. I ordered some from the Ukraine. Unfortunately they are too big on the short measurement. They said suitable for Stugs and PIII's, but unfortunately not. On the lookout for actual Tamiya ones now......just can't stretch for them at present...

Simon.

Thanks Sairou. Yeah, have to work on the ability to spray them. I was considering getting Tamiya's canned undercoat. But I might just wait to get me airbrush set up.

You were busy over Christmas. The heavy armoured car looks nice. I only found out recently that Tamiya bought Italieri, and that they are doing joint offerings. I saw a kit by Tamiya the other day coupled with an ICM truck.

I'll try and stick to Tamiya or Dragon, purely based on what you say as regards fit. I give myself enough problems with the PE.......:huh:

Cheers mate.

Simon.

• Like 1

Hi Etienne, thanks for taking a look, and thumbs up.

The tracks are like a shot I saw of a Panzer III. Lot of sag. It was down to I imagine not enough time to adjust the idler during hectic times. I might take one more link out. But at present it's probably due to not fully fitted snug to the drive sprocket. 

Simon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hewy said:

I like it, great job on that pe, some lovely details on there,  look forward to seeing it painted 

Glynn 

Hi Glynn, hope your Christmas went well. Thanks for for your comments. Once I get a primer on, it should start to look the part. Still weighing up whether a Panzer Gray or Dunkel Gelb which decide on a light primer or dark primer...... have to see 

thanks again

26 minutes ago, Kris B said:

Stunning build, can't wait for painting. 

Hi Kris, cheers mate. I’m glad it’s done. There’s some little bits left, but won’t take long to get them on.

Rgards

Simon

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Gremlin56 said:

I really like the look of this build. The tarp covering it really gives character to it. This should look amazingly sexy when you get around to painting it.

Julian

Hi Julian, how are you

Thanks for your kind comments. That resin upper hull was a way of making use of a Panzer III chassis I had. It’ll be a challenge to paint when I get to it. I think a dark yellow version is on the cards, but I’m thinking the tarp on the hull was probably a winter thing. So I might go for dark gray with faded white wash. The tarp might in fact be a white sheet for camp reasons.

i might wait until it gets a little warmer to set up the spraying. Intending to spray all the heavy colours in the garage. Bit chilly at present.....😩

thanks for stopping by

regards

Simon

Wow!, I'm sorry, I've lost a lot of progress, and I just have to say, that it's great, how much detailed and good scratch, with the metallic tracks, it looks great, and the canvas, is a whole piece of craftsmanship, when it is painted and aged will be a joy for the eyes ...:popcorn:

Cheers and HNY2018 mate :santa:

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Wow!, I'm sorry, I've lost a lot of progress, and I just have to say, that it's great, how much detailed and good scratch, with the metallic tracks, it looks great, and the canvas, is a whole piece of craftsmanship, when it is painted and aged will be a joy for the eyes ...:popcorn:

Cheers and HNY2018 mate :santa:

Hi Francis

Thanks for the positive thumbs up. I’ve never attempted so much scratch before. It was the best part for me on this and I intend on more in the future.

The Friuls, although at a cost are for so far, the way to go. I finally got into the swing of putting them together.......😳

And yes, painting will be fun.

HNY2018 to you to 

regards

Simon

On 28/12/2017 at 4:45 PM, Etienne said:

I really like this build, neat, customized, very nice !! Just one question : aren't the tracks a little bit to long, isn't there too much sag ?

E

Just wanted to say Etienne, I decided to take out one link from each side........looks better

HNY2018 matey

Simon

• 2 months later...

Evening all.....just some final pics until the top coat goes on in May. Finally starts to come together once all in one colour....managed to get a coat on with a spray can Tamiya primer.....not bad at all. Havn't used one before, I was impressed with spray quality and droplet size once the can was warmed........anyway....until May, she awaits the final camo scheme for the Southern Ukraine 1942.

6dtn1pE.jpg

s7ocNCr.jpg

rRt1DYk.jpg

sJFGvSh.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Clive, good morning mate. How are you.

Yeah, me too.....there's only so much I can do with a spray can.....:smirk:. Once I get my hands on that compressor, I'll do some practice runs and go for it.

I'm just going to work on the Zugkraftwagen for a bit and tinker with the rest. I think I have a big enough line up to paint for now.....:D

Cheers.

P.S. Cracking job on the 17 pounder, whats next on your hit list.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Hi Clive, good morning mate. How are you.

Yeah, me too.....there's only so much I can do with a spray can.....:smirk:. Once I get my hands on that compressor, I'll do some practice runs and go for it.

I'm just going to work on the Zugkraftwagen for a bit and tinker with the rest. I think I have a big enough line up to paint for now.....:D

Cheers.

P.S. Cracking job on the 17 pounder, whats next on your hit list.

Doing ok boss, thanks, hope it's all good with yourself.

I had an Idea to do another armour piece, but my stash choices are quite limited. I only have 5 armour kits, and pretty much all of them are regular subjects on here. I have an idea for another North African dio, but the duration for that is likely to be another 6 months. 

Iam leaning towards a return to the wingy things, but again I am torn between doing a 'palette cleanser' that will hopefully not take an age to complete, and going off-piste with an unusual subject. I want to do another WW1 Russian aircraft, namely a 'Pulpit' Spad  SA4. Only one problem: it's an aModel kit! Could be the ultimate trial by ordeal, but i can't help but find the aircraft fascinating!

I'll have a think and make a decision this week hopefully! 

Hi Clive

Aircraft is an area I could never get into......I did a few when I was younger - the Spitfire etc, the usual subjects at that time. Although there is one area I would consider and that also is WW1.....always fancied starting a larger scale bi-plane of some sort. I fancied a Sopwith Camel. I'll have to see, maybe in the future.

I take it then aModel aren't the best, or are they just very difficult.

S

57 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

I take it then aModel aren't the best, or are they just very difficult.

Having never done an aModel kit, I can't comment from personal experience; however, I gather that opinions on here are, shall we say, 'mixed' :)

I am definitely leaning towards doing one next though!