TAMIYA (PANZER III AUSF L Conversion) - Sturminfanteriegeschutz 33

Hi Devcon....thanks for the compliment on the "Ugly Duckling Geschutz" 😁. I'm doing my best to meet the actual spec on archive photo's and some finished kit images I've found on the web. I think it's the Dragon kit, so all the parts are provided. As I'm scratch building a lot of it, there are some idiosyncrasies, but close enough... :D This is for me a general exercise to get back into the modelling again after such a long period out of it. Plus I don't have all the materials I'd like due to budget restrictions. Some of the detail is here and there maybe too thick or too thin....but does the job to meet the goals.

As regards PE cryo glue technique. One thing I do is make my own applicators by stretching spru to very fine pints to have a small drop applicator. You can actually bend the tip go round corners too........also with the use of medium and thin glue types you can keep it clean as possible. You can leave medium for a few mins before you make contact and can adjust somewhat too........Another tip is cryo when left for about 3 or 4 mins and can be gently cleaned off where it is visible and doesn't leave a mark and acts like "jelly" like substance. I use a 15a scalpel blade for this......... If you leave it to dry then you scratch the plastic and can look ropey.....:tmi: and you might detach the piece and loose it in carpet....:swear:

The best advice is to do some practice on old kits or just a trial PE project of lesser importance. I'll take a couple of pics for you on the spru applicators and maybe if I can hold my phone I'll show what cryo looks like when scrapped off semi dry.

Regards

Simon.

Edited by LONGSHANKS2966

Evening all......I hope we are well.

Just a catch up. Added some extra features that I discovered in some image research that I'd missed, so unfortunately I had to remove and rework some detail to get it on. I have added the additional armour that was a feature of this AFV, probably added as it was intended for point blank open sight firing at buildings in Stalingrad. Added in the track racks and started the gun lock which will be at rest on the lower glacis. Managed in the end to make a damaged fender out of a wine bottle foil top. First one I've had a bash at so a bit sharper next time.......:D

YEtKUxQ.jpg

XX4fUNT.jpg

At the rear I remade the two rear access hatches and dug up some cast hinges from an old "Flamingo" kit that doesn't seem to be getting anywhere....:think:. Overall half my time has been spent in reverse....but back on track again. Halfway through the rear stowage bin......So hopefully it’ll be on next post...:tmi:

linJARu.jpg

YlAmVQx.jpg

Anyway chap's.......have a good night......

Simon.

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 5

Sow's ear of a vehicle, most definitely. But one of favourites.

Good work on this. Not sure if this is of any help, but I had a look through my picture collection and this is the only photo I have that clearly shows the guns travel lock. All the rest are taken from to far away, blurred or that section is in shadow. And it seems the few museum examples don't have the lock in place at all.

Sturminfanteriegeschutz%2033_zpsrgibzqna

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 14/11/2017 at 7:37 PM, Soeren said:

Hi there, looking great :D.

I really like it.

Wanna have my Revell yellow for that? ;)

Thanks Soeren. I’m actually in two minds on final colour scheme......so maybe.

Hi Crayons

thanks for compliment and the pic. I do agree an “ugly duckling” in many ways......😁 i might leave off the fun lock and just have the mount points. I also saw that some have and some don’t. Plus as I’m using a Panzer III Ausf L chassis, the front transmission hatch’s are a little off to be spot on the match up with the gun.

have to see

cheers

Simon

According to my info, Alkett (responsible for construction of the superstructure and mounting the gun) was given 24 Stug III chassis ranging from B to E models to convert over to the SiG33. After completion, the only way to tell what chassis was used was by looking at the transmission hatch hinges. Models B,C and D had large hinges, whilst E used smaller hinges.

Hi Crayons

yes I read the same somewhere. I have to be honest,this one has a lot of irregularities. It basically is a Panzer III L chassis. It has a lot of the details of that AFV not present on the Stug versions. So not really a true SIG 33. I'm really trying to make good use of the P III chassis and get practice in. I've learned a lot doing the PE brass and scratch building, some that I'd forgotten and some new techniques. Made many mistakes, that won't be forgotten. All good fun........I think 😬🤔

thanks again for for the pic mate

Regards

Simon

Simon,

I like the determination and accuracy you are going for here. Great stuff. Also fun are all your markings and measures, but make sure to clean them off before priming, however. I always thought that you had been the longshanks, I guess now Soeren confirmed this^^.

/Stefan

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Simon did you change your screen name ? I could swear you were something else ? 

4 hours ago, Soeren said:

he did, it was the nickname of the 13th English king that the actor in his avatar is representing .

1 hour ago, Blaubar said:

Simon,

I like the determination and accuracy you are going for here. Great stuff. Also fun are all your markings and measures, but make sure to clean them off before priming, however. I always thought that you had been the longshanks, I guess now Soeren confirmed this^^.

/Stefan

Hi chaps. Yes I changed my screen name from Longshanks. The reason being that I lived in NYC for many many years and resently got back to the UK. Since then as I had to close down accounts like Ebay, iTunes etc as they were opened as US accounts. Since getting back I have been working my way through online stuff and either closing and opening a new one or having the screen name changed so I eventually have the same across the board.

And thanks Stefan, I’m doing my best to be as accurate as I can. I intend to do a soft wash prior to painting as it’s getting pretty dirty. The paint would have a tough time😀

Sorry for the confusion on the screen name...... it’s still me🤓

Simon

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

That it looking seriously good! Very impressive modelling. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks 'Stix. , and everyone for your kind comments. 

I'm about to lay my hands on some resin bolt heads and rivets from Masterclub so it will speed it a long a little, and start to come together. I might switch back to the Wespe for a break soon. I'm going to make up a hit list of what has to be done on the SIG 33 and give it a good go to finish it first.........I hope..:idea:

1 hour ago, Soeren said:

I just saw all the plasticard add on plates, what thickness sheets were you using? The clamps etc in PE were from which manufacturer?

Hi Soeren. I matched the thickness the best I could to the upper hull part I got in resin.I'd say about 1.5mm or so. As regards the PE stuff. The main parts I'm using are the Voyager set for the Panzer III. I know some of the parts you wouldn't see on a SIG 33 but as I said, I'm running it as a break in for the clean starts on new kits intended. I also am subsidising the clamps with an Aber set of German tool clamps early version's I think. not sure that I can really tell the diff from early or late, and a set of Aber workable hinges German.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/197170-aber-35a93-german-clamps-and-clasps

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/283686-aber-35a39-hinges-workable-2-choice

I get the feeling once it's finished she'll have a well used look to her........:D

Cheers all

Simon.

Evening all, my Sunday report......:D

Managed to get a couple of hours in, (in spite off all the distractions). Concentrated on some minor detail. I know some of it shouldn't be there on a SIG 33 but couldn't resist getting to grips with them. Here's where I stand.......

1wc1LWX.jpg

hqVs5sO.jpg

G2sU6Iq.jpg

Here's the stowage box I had to build. Still working on it. Unfortunately it hides some of the detail. But it was a major feature of the Sig33. Managed to make a couple of pistol port plugs.....tough carving them, but I think I have figured out a better way for the one on the side.

k1oRjIY.jpg

baQeJaf.jpg

fx8yAv9.jpg

Well chaps, G'nite. Hope you like the progress so far.

Simon.

• Like 8

Thanks Carius......

I might switch to the Fuils next and have a break...never put together metal tracks before, so should be fun.....:think:, looking forward to it though...... As regards the build, as I mentioned before, I have learnt and unfortunatly (and frustratingly) re-learnt much from this little "pug". What to do, and not to do on the next one. I have to be honest, resin parts aint gonna be on the shopping list in future projects........:swear:

7 minutes ago, Kris B said:

Good job Simon. 

Cheers Kris, much appreciated.......

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 1

Good afternoon all.....how are we on this bitter cold day.......:penguin:

Well my Sunday post is here. Managed to get a lot done on and off this week, crammed in between all my chores and commitments. But here's the "ugly duckling". I am thinking 95% done, just the Friuls etc and finishing clean up.

You'll see the addition of the Masterclub resin nuts and bolt heads. I have to say as regards this product 10 out of ten - I love 'em. They'll be a permenant addition to the resource box from now on.

I decided on a remake of the lead foil mudguard (this time with a hinge) and still to be "bashed". I'm leaving that until bashed by accident

when fitting the tracks.....might look more authentic.....:P. I also fitted the MG 34 from RB.

Pl5yMhX.jpg

y4LKW84.jpg

gRckHOD.jpg

1gcYVUz.jpg

Jack and extinguisher done also the ariel mount. Getting that wire in there was a bugger....:swear:

The stowage box got a re-fit also. Decided to have it as the larger second one and in the process maybe of making the narrower one to add

last -not sure yet. The larger one had special side attachment brackets to allow it to be removed for maintenance of the engine etc. I'll

probably tinker with adding stuff over the next few weeks as I clean it up before priming.  

B5LHdOJ.jpg

SOnMw1i.jpg

Still have to put the final detail on the cable holder clamps etc. The cable too will be added right at the end. I'm going for a draped look 

with it out and over the vehicle. Managed to get padlocks on the two rear box's which took some time but add's a little extra

CxXOz2s.jpg

Overall, as I have mentioned, pretty much chassis complete. Learnt a bit. Certainly won't make the mistakes

I made again. I'm going to try once the tracks are done to get a primer on it. But due to compressor and

airbrush issues - not having one at present; it'll have to stay awaiting it's combat colours.......but it will

be done. I'll switch to either the Wespe or maybe a new complete start on another I have from my supply

that's been sitting there for the last 10 years........:yes: 

Anyway chaps....all the best for the rest of the weekend........cheers

Simon.

• Like 8

Hi Soeren, thanks for that. 

But.........on my return to the desk, my lamp detached from its mount and fell over...... so I have a stowage bin to re-attach..... a near calamity. Three inch to the right and it would have looked like it had took a 76mm up the back side.....😁

Thanks again mate

Simon

Thanks Clive, appreciated. Pretty much going to get on with the tracks now.....well, once my new .4 drill comes....snapped my last one after 15 links drilling the hole out.:swear:, so tinkering with the Wespe tools and PE clamps for them.....I have to say, there is a special place reserved in hell for PE German tool clamps.......so far I like doing the Griffon Model versions. They seem a little easier than Voyager. Middle ground goes to Aber for difficult bending and building.

Like your 17 pounder, nice finish so far also. Nifty little scratch building on ammo box too mate.

Simon.

Edited by Redcoat2966