1/48 A-10C, 354th FS, Inherent Resolve, 2017. Finished 16/01

DaveJL

Hello all,

Here is my next project after the Su-30 - 1/48 Italeri A-10C Thunderbolt II during Operation Inherent Resolve.

Kit:

38037345472_b5f2ca95be_b.jpg

24215834048_0782da4abf_b.jpg

Extras:

24215828248_69d8484432_b.jpg

Using a Pavla seat, Eduard etch, Quickboost engine faces and a Master brass GAU-8.

Some ordnance from an Academy F-15:

38037339312_1d08b9ce1a_b.jpg

The kit decals look very nice:

38037361372_4a795fce5c_b.jpg

However, they do not come with any bomb tallies etc. There is a Speed Hunter Graphics sheet that has plenty, including some examples from 2017, so I might order a sheet:

http://www.reidairpublishing.com/product-p/shg48017.htm

Now, onto the fun parts of this build - the ordnance and weathering! Have a look at these:

https://strategypage.com/gallery/images/a-10-06-04-2017.jpg

https://theaviationist.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/A-10-Boise.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/B_eEUwRXoKg/maxresdefault.jpg

Quite possibly the best one:

37359423794_6cb09a877c_b.jpg

Photo courtesy of AF.mil.

I'll be arming the kit with a full load of ordnance - 2x AIM-9, 2x GBU-12, 1x AGM-65, 1x GBU-31, 3x GBU-38/54 1x LAU rocket pod and a Litening pod. Looking forward to this, my first A-10 and it will be a 'busy' one!

Dave

• Like 11

Looking forward to seeing this one! I saw that dirty inverted pic in one of the aviation mags and was so captivated by it to took a pic of it on my phone from the mag with a view to building a dirty Hog like this at some point. They are great looking machines, the one in the photo has certainly been doing some amount of tank-plinking.

Bring on the progress pics

Eng

Thanks chaps, been looking forward to this one.

11 hours ago, Paramedic said:

Lovely! Yeah they should deifnetly be down there, rooting, lol. ;)

Is that kit decent?

Looks ok, but Italeri kits can be touch and go.

By way of an update, I've ordered the Speed Hunter Graphics decal sheet so this jet will now be from the 354th FS, from Davis-Monthan AFB, deployed for Inherent Resolve in 2017. (I was visiting the 'Boneyard' in Tucson in August 2016 and saw many of these jets flying that day)

39 minutes ago, Paramedic said:

Yeah, I generally avoid Italieri but have yet to get a A-10 in my stash... :/

Gonna have to look for that decal sheet. Looking forward to your progress.

Opted for this over the Hobbyboss example as this comes with the parts necessary for an A-10C and initially i'd planned on using the kit decals :lol:

Thanks chaps.

7 hours ago, coneheadff said:

Great choice!

But does it really have all the required parts for a C model? I read somewhere that they didn't include all the antennas and sensors.

Alex

I'd asked over on ARC and apparently, yes, it does, minus one or two small sensors, which can be made from styrene. The cockpit is completely wrong through, but the Eduard set should fix that.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DaveJL said:

Thanks chaps.

I'd asked over on ARC and apparently, yes, it does, minus one or two small sensors, which can be made from styrene. The cockpit is completely wrong through, but the Eduard set should fix that.

Thanks for the info Dave!

Can't believe why Aires or Eduard never produced a correct C cockpit. That kit is now on the market for several years and no one has even tried to produce a correct cockpit 

To my knowledge the Monogram is the most ‘shape’ accurate hog out there however the Italeri is the most ‘updated’ kit I guess you can say. I do recall a few weeks ago seeing something about Revell coming out with a new one? I think. 

Really looking forward to seeing this come together though. I’m still on the fence on picking up a HB or Italeri tank slayer lol.

Thanks chaps.

Made a brief start today. Ordnance built up:

26442862269_95dc63bd1b_b.jpg

The GBU-12s were located in the spares and will be re-painted. The AGM-65 and rocket pod are from the kit, the AIM-9s are from a Revell F-15E and the GBU-38s, GBU-31 and Litening pod are from an Academy F-15E.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 1