1/144 Lockheed C-121J Super Constellation '8'

Whirly

Thank you for all the positive comments :worthy:

I'm glad this subject attracted so much attention because I also love it, I received a feedback from Minicraft and probably I will get a replacement soon. If this is ok with the moderators I will keep posting here when I can resume work.

Fabio

• Like 1

best of luck with this build, its a shame to come so far with it only to stumble at the end.......I too have endless builds on the shelf of doom that I am determined to finish one day, its builds like yours that rekindle that enthusiasm to rescue a kit and spend some more time with it.  Enjoyed reading your thread please continue building, look forward to seeing this in all its glory

• 4 weeks later...

I finally received the replacement sheet from Minicraft: it seems much better and I would have been happier to have it in the box since it didn't cost me little to obtain one.

This is a comparison of both sheets, you can see how richer is the yellow in the new one:

P_20171227_222129

And this is a test application on the u/c doors. There is a (very slightly out-of-register) white background which is the only way to obtain a strong yellow, now will need a different colour match to repaint all the tips.

P_20171227_225453_1

Will try to recover as best as I can the work done till now.

Best Wishes to all!

Fabio

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

My recovery of this model is taking ages due to low motivation and many distractions from real life...

Here you can see I had a belated good idea in lining the main u/c bays with Perfect Plastic Putty: doing it earlier would have saved me many hours waiting for the trapped water to evaporate after each sanding session   :unamused:

2018-01-19_05-33-16

By the way, what started as a retouch of the yellow tips ended with a complete repaint of all surfaces. Here I'm adding also the black areas behind the engines: they are specified in the kit instructions but actually seemed to last very little from the images I could find. Anyway I thought they would add interest to a nearly uniform finish.

Bye

Fabio

2018-01-19_05-33-30

• Like 2

Another little progress adding the dark metal panels behind the engine cooling gill, I used Testors Metalizer Titanium for that followed by its sealer.

2018-01-23_11-21-37

And then the last touch for now are the metal leading edges for the engline cowlings. Alclad Aluminium to avoid any paint leaks under the tape.

This should let me finally approach a new attempt at decal application, hope the new round will go better :pray:

2018-01-26_03-31-15

• Like 2

I'm glad to report that decal application went quite well with the new sheet, the only problem was a certain stiffness which could be remedied only with a stronger softening liquid, but this had sometimes negative effects on the Gunze paint. Well, you live and learn: Cartograph doesn't mean necessarily top quality all around, probably it depends on how much the kit manufacturer is willing to pay...

2018-02-01_07-08-29

• Like 4

Thank you Cliff! I was just wondering if someone is still looking for updates in this group build  :wink:

The end is in sight but there are many small details and additions to complete, otherwise a small model like this won't be much different from a Corgi diecast.

For example this is the front U/C which Minicraft treated quite badly: I made from scratch a new retraction strut and landing lights.

P_20180204_192514

Other terribile parts are the propellers: here you can see on the left the untreated one and on the right one complete rebuild, I only have to make three more (needless to say they broke in spinner and blades as soon as I tried to sand the edges....)

P_20180205_083641_1

At least  I can now get some satisfaction from the nearly finished item sitting on its legs: the gracious lines of the Connie are clearly there!

P_20180205_083918_1

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for letting you wait again for another update :(

I made some little progress with final details; first the ventral antenna masts, done with some steel pins,

P_20180210_220337

then the main mast over the nose for the long wire antennas, this is Strutz material for added strenght. I wonder why nobody has reissued this product after the demise of Skybirds 86. The smaller mast is also Strutz, while the arc is done with garden wire beaten hard over an anvil to obtain the flattened shape.

P_20180210_220321

Then, when I thought to be on the finish line, another mishap with this damned plastic: while I was drilling one propeller spinner the tip detached neatly in this way, I'm really fed up with all this problems!

So, now the last step involving finishing the propellers will take again more time than expected.

P_20180210_234535

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Hello, I have finally completed this model and I would like to give it a suitable base. I found a source for cars like these but I'm not too expert on brands and years of manifacture: perhaps someone here can help me to identify the exact models? Many thanks

Fabio

5356715018_08cbdd7fe6_b.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I did a Google image search and came up with this..

Blue Angel 8., a Lockheed C-121J Constellation, at NAS Moffett Field August 1969. They were flying McDonnell Douglas F-4J Phantom IIs at the time.

I would say that the station wagon is a Ford.

• 2 weeks later...

Steve,Pete, thank you for your valuable inputs!

I'm now settling on these choices, based on their likely availability in 1/144:

white car      Mercury Monterey 1965

gray car        Ford Country Wagon 1966

What do you think?