Canberra PR.9 1/72 Plans - any out there?

Rabbit Leader

All, 

Looks like I'll be bagging a Matchbox Canberra PR.9 soon, however have read that this particular Matchbox kit is not quite up there on the accuracy stakes? 

Just wondering if anyone knows where I can get a decent set of 1/72 PR.9 Plans that I can use to start pondering some 'possible' modifications to this base kit. 

Scan copies would be preferred, or just a recommendation for a publication that's still relatively available. 

Cheers and thanks... Dave 

• Like 1

Thanks Neil, 

There's some useful information here and I can see the dotted outline that represents the PR.9.

I'm sure there's probably something to 1/72 scale that may 'hopefully' be a better platform to lay the kit parts over, then ponder dire thoughts of "where does one start to cut"!

Cheers.. Dave   

• Like 1

Hi Dave

I don't know of any plans that I would trust, when I get around to building one I will start an in depth look at my AP's but a good place to go for now would be Navy Birds lovely build here Navy Bird PR.9  also worth a look is this on my site  Revell and Matchbox PR.9 Corrections by Mario J Grech. also all the PR.9 photo albums on the first three pages also on my site in here, Reference and model gallery  I hope all this helps Dave? If you need more info just shout! 

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The least worst set of drawings that I've seen are those from Aviation News a long time ago.  Although they covered most then-extant Canberra marks they did cover most of the significant differences, including the engine cowlings which are a weak point on the Matchbox kit.  Linewrights' Aeroguide on the PR. 9 has some more up-to-date drawings, including RWR antenna fairings, late-standard wing tips and nav lights and reconnaissance sensor installations.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, stever219 said:

The least worst set of drawings that I've seen are those from Aviation News a long time ago.  Although they covered most then-extant Canberra marks they did cover most of the significant differences, including the engine cowlings which are a weak point on the Matchbox kit.  Linewrights' Aeroguide on the PR. 9 has some more up-to-date drawings, including RWR antenna fairings, late-standard wing tips and nav lights and reconnaissance sensor installations.

The Aviation News plans were OK, I guess it all boils down to how bothered you are? I've built the Matchbox PR.9 a few times and never done much to it and it still looks ok when parked with other Canberra's.

John  

Thanks John & Steve, 

The Canberra SIG pages is always my first go to point for anything 'Canberra' and it was while reading Mario's article that I soon discovered that Matchbox did not quite get this kit right.

At this stage (and my final decision always seems to vary), I've got an all silver PR.9 in mind from either 13 or 39 Squadrons whilst based in Malta (family connection).

It would also be cool to try to manufacture those wingtip tanks, that don't quite make it to the tip - always looking for something a tad different.

I agree so far - that the Matchbox engine intakes are a little on the slim side and also have that annoying waste line at approx. the mid wing location. The Hori stabs look to be too broad and the nose is a fraction long!

I can add details here and there, however the engines seem to be the major area where one will probably spend / waste most of the time. I'd better hunt down those Aviation news plans. 

It's sounding like I should probably start with the Airfix kit!! 

Cheers and thanks... Dave 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

Dave if you can hang on I'll scan my copy of the plans at the weekend for you. The high speed silver with tanks sounds good to me it has to be 13 Sqn for me 😊

John

John, 

I'm very good at waiting patiently.. a scan copy would be most helpful and I truly appreciate this offer. 

Hopefully my promised Matchbox kit will have useable decals as you can never guarantee their quality 30-40 years on (fair enough I suppose). There's 13 squadron decals included with this kit. 

Cheers and big thanks once again... Dave 

15 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

... 13 Sqn is one of the options but it's a camo aircraft I think?

Correct John, however by my reckoning the squadron emblem at this early camo stage was the same as when 13 operated their PR.9's in all the Silver scheme - Black Cat's head over a downwards pointing sword all on a White disc. Unless the kit's decals are cactus, I should hopefully be OK. 

Cheers.. Dave

It does depend on how fussy you are, but I've always liked the Matchbox Canberra. 

The tailplanes are wrong in chord and the fuselage not long enough (based on bomber type I think).

John Aeroclub has outlined the issues with the kit in this forum, so worth a search here.

Also there is an excellent build and correction piece, can't remember if here or on the web.

• Thanks 1

OK, so the Matchbox Canberra arrived this morning a little worse for wear. Although the box was still sealed, the decal sheet must have been exposed to a long period of dampness and is entirely useless. The plastic is also a little scratched, however that’s probably to be expected. I chose the original kit instead of the Revell rebox as I wanted the 13 Squadron fin decal and thought the original plastic may have been less flashy - or well. 

@canberra kid just a quick shout out to see if you had a chance to scan those plans and any chance that you can help with these decals?

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

OK, so the Matchbox Canberra arrived this morning a little worse for wear. Although the box was still sealed, the decal sheet must have been exposed to a long period of dampness and is entirely useless. The plastic is also a little scratched, however that’s probably to be expected. I chose the original kit instead of the Revell rebox as I wanted the 13 Squadron fin decal and thought the original plastic may have been less flashy - or well. 

@canberra kid just a quick shout out to see if you had a chance to scan those plans and any chance that you can help with these decals?

Cheers.. Dave 

Will do Dave, it will be the weekend before I get chance, but I will/

John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canberra kid said:

Will do Dave, it will be the weekend before I get chance, but I will/

John

Appreciate that John... sorry to remind you, just thought I’d see how you’re tracking and explain the poor decal quality. Please don’t rush. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

You've just reminded me as well, I was in the process of knocking up some fairly accurate plans using extracts with the help of John and his library, however real life in the way at the mo.

If you get stuck I will have the 13 Sqn decs, I always seem to build 58 Sqn PR.9s!

• Like 1

Many thanks James. 

It’s nice to know that I can stop looking at my unusable decals knowing that there’s always a helping hand on BM. It’ll also be good to see those plans your working on - how dare life get in the way of all things ‘modelling’’!! 

Cheers (a truly appreciative).. Dave

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 11/12/2017 at 1:01 PM, canberra kid said:

Dave I've scanned the plans, I will email them to you. I've also dug out a good 'stabbed cat' badge.   If you want them I can also gather all or most of the correct stencils from the Airfix PR.9 

John 

John

I'm late to the party as usual but is there any chance of a copy of these PR9 plans, please?

David