Trumpeter King Tiger

I have had this beast on my bench for months now and I have been taking pictures of the progression I have been making on it. The only problem is that I haven't uploaded them so I have over 100 pictures that need to be shared. I have been doing my best to make the tank as historically accurate as possible thanks to the book. 

IMG_0526IMG_0567

IMG_0570

IMG_0624IMG_0643IMG_0646

IMG_0685IMG_0687IMG_0689

IMG_0712

IMG_0713

IMG_0714

IMG_0719

IMG_0721IMG_0754IMG_0756

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi Mark

I just noticed you drilled out the holes in the battery box covers.  I did too and after painting and gluing them in place I thought why didn't I add screens or mesh inside the holes to keep stuff from falling in on top of the batteries.

Too late for me but if you haven't glued the covers on you might want to try that.  Drop a wrench, short out the battery and burn the tank down, all in a day's adventures.

BTW what is the long box for to the right of the turret traversing gearbox ?  That's MIA in the kit.

Lloyd

Hi lloyd.

Ill definitely look into puting mesh over the batteries, and the long box next to the turret traversing gearbox is actually a place for all tye misc tools that would be needed for quick access to parts of the tank, if im not mistaken. And i also noticed that it was missing right off the bat, because right before I started this beast I built 2 Takom King tigers and they both had the tool box. So this is one of many “mistakes” made by trumpeter in this kit. 

Mark   

2 hours ago, Mark Hoffmanly said:

Thanks, Blaubar

Many more small wires to add to the model, and many more headaches. In the long run, it will be worth it.  

Mark

Hi Mark,

I have progressive nerve damage in my hands and feet, so unfortunately I doubt I'll ever be able to match your super-detailing. Obviously I don't use my feet to make models, but you know what I mean. I am always envious of people like yourself who are not only capable of such detailing, but can also be bothered to do it, especially with the internals which usually get hidden away.

So, how do you intend to display this work of art?

Rearguards,

Badder

Sorry to hear about that,  but my plan for displaying the tank and all of its interior and detail is leaving the upper hull unglued so that I can slip it on and off when the time arises, and for the turret, I had cut off the turret roof to allow easy access to the interior of the turret and some of the turret basket. But for the most part you will only be able to see the exterior of the tank in the display case unless I chose otherwise. 

Mark

On 11/4/2017 at 6:11 PM, LONGSHANKS2966 said:

Top notch........looking forward to seeing the end result 

On 11/5/2017 at 6:48 AM, FrancisGL said:

Awesome job until now!!!, When finished with this level of detail, it will be a museum piece ...:popcorn:

Cheers Mark :yes:

Thanks, guys, currently taking a break from this beast for a while, currently burnt out on it so I don't want to force myself to continue otherwise it won't be up to my standard of quality.

Mark 

• 2 months later...

Started back on this beast after I finished up the Tiger I cut-away model. I'm in the home stretch with this model all I have left to do is the turret basket and some smaller details then I'm done.'

39711903422_ff390c3613_b.jpg38845470375_70a10b756e_b.jpg27964941219_1d3f3e5fa8_b.jpg

I also scratch built the correct Bow-MG mount with the eye-sight and headrest. Along with a PE mg34 barrel.

38845504175_51cb74ba7f_b.jpg39743385131_7b061da9ba_b.jpg39743384891_bec48cecfe_b.jpg39712072152_ff27e9312b_b.jpg38845282755_f4c4a539cc_b.jpg39034477114_89ac67cdba_b.jpg

I still need to build the stabilizing spring for the MG that connects from the roof to the MG,  have the correct placements for the spring I now Just need to get it correctly sized up and built then Ill be done with the bow MG. 

Also, the diamond pattern provided with the kit is incorrect and I need to find the correct type, along with the Turret basket floor. The kit provides the correct type the only problem is that it doesn't have a non-slip pattern to it. If anyone has an idea of where I could find the correct types I would greatly appreciate it, since those are the last 2 "big" details that need to be corrected. 

Thanks 

Mark. 

• Like 1

Progress has taken a turn for the worse. Over the past weekend, I was painting the main parts of the model that I knew was finished so that I wouldn't have to take so long having to paint it later on down the road. So Saturday night I found out my airbrush needle was bent, and when I used masking tape on the model I would peel up the paint I was trying to protect so needless to say it was a very busy and frustrating weekend for me.  

Also, I am looking for the correct diamond pattern in for the turret basket, and the floor surrounding the turret. 

Mark

• 2 months later...

Started Painting some of the parts that are ready to be painted. I personally think that the red oxide primer that I used is a bit too dark but oh well. Ran into some problems with masking tape and paint not wanting to stick. 

39333608414_2e91fd9c09_b.jpg39145573355_a2ccffaedd_b.jpg39145573355_a2ccffaedd_b.jpg40044204031_7bcc990758_b.jpg26170913118_79956964b6_b.jpg

Progress on this beast has been stalled once again, but this time it's because of Takoms 3 new panthers. 

Mark

• Like 1

Also, I did get the correct diamond pattern for the plating surrounding the turret basket, but I do not know where to get the correct metal non-slip pattern for the turret basket itself. This is also why the build progress has stalled is because I just need the turret basket to be completed then I'll be "done". Still feels funny staying that I am almost done with this beast that has taken almost a year to build LOL.  

Looks pretty awesome so far Mark.  Mine sure doesn't have nearly the same level of detail but what the heck, it looks like a KT from the outside.

I find that Tamiya 18mm tape is the best, never had much luck with the green or blue painters tape.

Must be hard to get back to this when you have 3 Panthers waiting though but keep at it, like you say just about done.

Take care,

Lloyd