Boultbee Spitfire Tr.9 - AZ Model 1/72

CedB

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Out tonight for a triple bill of contemporary dance. I know. Not really my thingĀ 

S'posing, just s'posing you actually liked it Ced?

You're flirting with danger there if you ask me old chap.

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Hmm if I had flexible knees I could enjoy learning the routines

Picturing the BM Morris troupe debuting at Telford next year. Files held proudly aloft...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Too late now, but comparison of the two floor plates with that in an ordinary single-seater AZ might provide enlightenment!Ā  Obviously you would have one floating around your stash.

On mine I just found the pair of cockpit assemblies was all a bit of a house of cards until finally clamped into the fuselage.

Look forward to seeing the airframe come together now.Ā  Personally I find the cockpit phase a bit of a chore, and likely where a kit can get set aside for a while, as apart from Eduard, any detailing provided by the manufacturers either doesn't fit itself, messes up alignment of the rest of the plane or is all too flakey to hold together for long.Ā  What was wrong with just gluing the pilot to a bar across the cockpit anyway, he's all you can generally see?

Cheers

Will

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, hendie said:

sounds like you are encountering the same issues I am having with the Fly kit Ced.

It's amazing what a difference some form of positive location feature makes.Ā  It certainly looks like you are bringing it together though - nice work

Thanks Hendie, really appreciated. I've just finished looking at your jaw-dropping gearboxes and the temptation to get soldering is getting stronger...

16 hours ago, giemme said:

Nice crew and cockpit, there! :clap:

Ā 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :)

15 hours ago, perdu said:

Well I dunno

Ā 

Incest?

Ā 

Nobody in my family even remotely fanciable, but morris dancing?

Ā 

Ā 

Hmm if I had flexible knees I could enjoy learning the routines as long as no actual performances were to be done in public

Ā 

I think I'm getting even more ocd-istic in my dotage

Ā 

Ā 

Dance??

Ā 

Madame I'd be delighted, can somebody mind this zimmer for me please?

Ā 

Ā 

MiniCed and his codriver are looking beekneesey in the extreme

Ā 

Bravo Mon brave

Thanks Bill :) I have to admit I have done Morris dancing at junior school. I'll still give the other thing a miss though.

13 hours ago, Courageous said:

Those dudes look 'almless'...

Thanks Stuart - 'armless'? Only until I get the fuselage trimmed up and ready to close, then they'll have their arms posed.

13 hours ago, TheBaron said:

S'posing, just s'posing you actually liked it Ced?

You're flirting with danger there if you ask me old chap.

Picturing the BM Morris troupe debuting at Telford next year. Files held proudly aloft...

:D Waving their hankies... 'Sword' dancing was a bit more manly I have to admit but hey, these ancient fertility rites have to be continued otherwise who knows what'll go wrong :shrug:

12 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Ā 

Must go to Specsavers - I read flies held proudly aloft....:nerd:

Ā 

Nice intercoms Ced - and glad you didn't have to amputate your feet....!!

Ā 

Keith

Thanks Keith :D

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Bloke done good. The office looks great with what you had to cope with.Ā :clap:you are edging me closer to building my first spit in years.Ā :yahoo:

Ā 

Johnny

Hi Johnny - go on, you know you want to! Just make sure it's a new Airfix, or an Eduard kit... you don't need the pain :)

1 hour ago, malpaso said:

Too late now, but comparison of the two floor plates with that in an ordinary single-seater AZ might provide enlightenment!Ā  Obviously you would have one floating around your stash.

On mine I just found the pair of cockpit assemblies was all a bit of a house of cards until finally clamped into the fuselage.

Look forward to seeing the airframe come together now.Ā  Personally I find the cockpit phase a bit of a chore, and likely where a kit can get set aside for a while, as apart from Eduard, any detailing provided by the manufacturers either doesn't fit itself, messes up alignment of the rest of the plane or is all too flakey to hold together for long.Ā  What was wrong with just gluing the pilot to a bar across the cockpit anyway, he's all you can generally see?

Cheers

Will

Thanks Will :) I think that the kit is 'standard AZ' plus an additional sprue for the TR version bits. Like yours I just think they don't go together that well.

Ā 

The dance was, er, contemporary. I certainly won't be humming any of the 'music'. Well performed though and my pleasure was assisted by a couple of bottles of beer during the show. We went back to our friends after and wine was had. Consequently I'm a bit fragile this morning, again. If I find out what causes this... :hungover:

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, CedB said:

couple of bottles of beer during the show. We went back to our friends after and wine was had. Consequently I'm a bit fragile this morning, again.

Ā 

If I find out what causes this...

Ā 

Ced, I've highlighted a couple of clues for you...

Ā 

HTH

Ā 

Dr. Keith

• Haha 7

27 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Ā 

Ced, I've highlighted a couple of clues for you...

Ā 

HTH

Ā 

Dr. Keith

I'm no doctor, but I was thinking along the same lines.... :rofl:

Ā 

Ciao

• Haha 1

Thanks Keith and Giorgio - so you think it's the alcohol? Strange, it makes one feel so nice at the time...

Ā 

Closed up and being smoothed:

Ā 

38594612836_9b0a896ce8_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Ā 

Despite the initial appearance of a bad fit the seams scraped off nicely with the Citadel scraper and only the strange hole where the filler cap would be on earlier marks needed much attention.

Ā 

Family time today but I may sneak in some time later. I need to decide whether to fit the canopies now or mask off the cockpits and fit them later.

I shall ponder.

• Like 13

I agree, I always stick them on at this stage - much easier to fill & fair in. Mask them, paint the frames the interior colour & forget them till after the final matt varnish coat! The wonders of tamiya tape...:)

Ā 

Keith

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CedB said:

so you think it's the alcohol? Strange, it makes one feel so nice at the time...

Nobody denies that .. :wink:

Ā 

The fuselage does look good after joining the two halves :clap:

Ā 

Another vote for canopies on at this stage (the windshield at least), unless they fit perfectlyĀ  or you want to keep them open

Ā 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I normally fit canopies at the end but always left with gaps etc. On my currents (two Spits and a Seafire) Iā€™ve fitted the canopies at this stage.

Ā 

Iā€™d agree easier to deal with gaps and fit issues now....

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, CedB said:

the strange hole where the filler cap would be on earlier marks needed much attention.

Isn't thatĀ the same filler cap on all Spitfires!Ā  I tried looking at Tr.9 photos, but hard to see, is it filled in?Ā  Where do they fuel them then?

I don't think I'll change mine as it'll never match...

cheers

Will

Edited by malpaso
Looked at photos for clues
  • Like 1

Nice clean up Ced. I have always fitted canopies at this stage but itĀ seem to burn me every time. Fogging, plastic bits etc. My last venture I added the canopy last but as everyone else has said,Ā ā€œFit issuesā€ As I have found the wonders of Gator glue for clear parts I think Iā€™ll go back to fitting at this stage. Either way youā€™ll ace it, Iā€™m sure of that.

Ā 

John.:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Thanks Britman, Keith, Giorgio and Leon - fit them now, got it... although it has occurred to me that the real thing has GAPS in the canopies so I'll see how they fit before deciding for sure.

Thanks Zac, glad you're enjoying it :)

2 hours ago, malpaso said:

Isn't thatĀ the same filler cap on all Spitfires!Ā  I tried looking at Tr.9 photos, but hard to see, is it filled in?Ā  Where do they fuel them then?

I don't think I'll change mine as it'll never match...

cheers

Will

Good question Will. I know the TR9 has its front cockpit moved forward and the tank is smaller, compensated for by tanks in the wings where the ammunition boxes were. I can't see the filler in any of the shots I have even though that area is visible. Have a look at these two shots:

Ā 

37777883025_a7bbda03b8_n.jpg 26888984809_6c8c6a16e8_n.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Looks to be pretty well covered eh?

18 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Nice clean up Ced. I have always fitted canopies at this stage but itĀ seem to burn me every time. Fogging, plastic bits etc. My last venture I added the canopy last but as everyone else has said,Ā ā€œFit issuesā€ As I have found the wonders of Gator glue for clear parts I think Iā€™ll go back to fitting at this stage. Either way youā€™ll ace it, Iā€™m sure of that.

Ā 

John.:thumbsup:

Ā 

Thanks Johnny, good advice thanks. When you say Gator Glue do you mean Gator's Grip? Or really Gator glue?

Ā 

gatorglue1.gifĀ  << The Gator's grip PVA glue I use for canopies.

Ā 

Anyway, remember I said I was going to check the wing fit before I went much further? Well I got carried away:

Ā 

37777719395_fd58223d85_z.jpg

Ā 

Just the lower section glued but, after a bit of fettling I'm pleased with the fit, especially at the back:

Ā 

37777733715_03c8324dfa_n.jpg 38609015646_cdf97ab6b6_n.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

A little bit of filler required but otherwise nice. Don't worry, the top bits seem to fit well too.

• Like 17

Giorgio made a good point though Ced about if you want to leave a canopy open (possibly a rare occurence on the ceiling!) - I still fit and mask them now but only fix the opening part on (in closed position)Ā with PVA, as I hate masking cockpit openings & never seem to get it right letting the exterior paint get into the 'pit! If you fit the opening bit with PVA its easy to pop it off and refix it open at the end, any pva left on the canopy sills easily comes off with a damp cotton bud...

Ā 

10 hours ago, CedB said:

although it has occurred to me that the real thing has GAPS in the canopies

Ā 

But they're not very big gaps or there'd be a heck of a draught...!!Ā :DĀ I thiink it's another one of those things in modelling that although it may be right that there are gaps, it doesn't look right in scale - unless said gaps are little wider that an engraved panel line. Just IMO of course!Ā 

Ā 

Looking good with the wings going on!

Ā 

Keith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anything to avoid masking the canopies, I've glued the tops of the wings on:

Ā 

38641949646_3d40f7d526_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Ā 

and fitted the crew (good job I remembered!):

Ā 

26927609159_e630238984_z.jpg

Ā 

I almost forgot the 'mystery object' - remember the awful photo of the piece of wire with blobs on the end? The plan was to paint it black, cut then ends off and make some microphone booms. Madness. Of course one pinged off somewhere but the other got fitted by drilling a hole in the pilot's helmet (careful) and sticking it in with CA:

Ā 

38703841201_07ccf49e43_z.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

... then bending it into place:

Ā 

38671540092_a09041c460_z.jpg

Ā 

Luckily the camera focussed on the 'mini me' in that shot, sparing you the sad result of my efforts. That's twenty minutes I won't get back.

Ā 

These will be next:

Ā 

26921752149_888e6703c7_z.jpg

• Like 13

Itā€™s the stuff you pictured Ced. Too much glue with almost the same name. Itā€™s like metallic paint all over again.Ā :lol:

Ā 

Nice wing fitting by the way and the little you looks fab. Ā Looking forward to some canopy action.Ā :)

Ā 

Jont

• Like 2