Boultbee Spitfire Tr.9 - AZ Model 1/72

CedB

8 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

I'm sure you'll have it sorted soon, you always do!

Exactly my same thought :)

Mols ain't going to be happy with all those rats around, me thinks :D

Edit: and Mrs. B neither, I bet ...

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

No.

That won't work either:

http://www.braintreesci.com/products.asp?dept=109

They'll just look odd hanging from the ceiling Ced....

You don't half manage to find some strange things on t'internet Tony....!! :D

What on earth were you looking for to turn up 'rat teaching models'.....??!!

K

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

You don't half manage to find some strange things on t'internet Tony....!! :D

What on earth were you looking for to turn up 'rat teaching models'.....??!!

Because you never know when you might need to milk a mouse:

http://www.braintreesci.com/products.asp?dept=279

:cyclops:

Actually, looking through that site reveals it to be considerably more sinister than it first appears...

• Haha 2

Thanks Bill - the doors will receive my usual surgery!

Thanks Cookie - you're right, Airfix do great wheels up parts and I have some spares provided by kind BMers. Sadly the shape of the wells varies too. Ho hum :)

Thanks Tony. What the...?!! I was intrigued by the 'CurVet Rat Training Simulator' and tempted until I saw the price... $1400! I reckon you could get a lot of real rats for that (Far East suppliers, with free postage)

Thanks Giorgio and Keith :) Mols loves a squirrel toy we bought her some time ago. Stinks after lots of 'mouthing'. Squeaks too. It's trained her well though; while out with a dog walker she chased a squirrel and caught it just before it reached a nearby tree. Disappointed that it didn't squeak she dropped it pretty quickly. And a Labrador walking with her ate it. Gross.

I've glued the tailplanes on today using tube glue (thanks Bill) requiring only a little support from BlueTak.

Not worth a photo.

Filler soon. Oh joy.

• Like 6

Thanks Johnny - yes, doors will be sorted!

Hi Leon - both dog and Mrs B are back to health now thanks. Almost normal :)

No modelling today as I spent the afternoon with a beautiful lady. This one:

38251304194_abbeb6bf52_z.jpg

My first shift on 'Concorde Floor'; other shifts have been split between the front and rear doors. 'Floor' seems to consist of herding cats (as usual) and also making sure visitors are safe. From what you may ask? Well, I fail to understand what the attraction of these are:

25096141318_cbb0ede812_z.jpg

... but I had at least five toddlers running behind (or under) the strap barrier and trying to look into the VERY BRIGHT projectors before being herded away, hopefully with their eyesight intact.

My suggestion that we replace the barriers with an electric fence was not approved. No, not even a small one.

Older children seemed to realise the danger and, instead, find great mirth in standing in front of one of the projectors and blocking off part of the video.

Bless their little hearts.

It was quite quiet this afternoon. Probably the snow. Gave me a chance to read the stencils though. Fascinating :yawn:

She is gorgeous though eh? Lovely lines. All of them.

Bit smelly underneath though (ah, Avgas!) but hey, she's probably at that age...

• Like 7
  • Haha 8

Thanks Bill :) I must admit I can't resist the occasional stroke or pat.

Thanks Keith and Joseph - my mistake... I have no idea really, I should look it up.... Jet-A1, I stand corrected! :D

Very slow progress on the Spit.

Wheels glued in and painted ready for door fitting.

Stencils and prop marking transfers on their way from Hannants.

I'm just putting off the custom transfer production...

I have decided to brush paint her with Colourcoats as I want to give them a try and I've yet to set up the spray booth exhaust. Should be fun?

• Like 5

Thanks Bill, Keith and Simon - it may be a bad decision but I think @Beard has had success with them before. Thinned he says. Hmmm. We shall see!

A little bit of mojo to attack the u/c doors this afternoon. I dry fitted / sanded [repeat] one and then saw that the parts have 'ledges'; perhaps that's why they don't fit?

25138020938_5e3196af23_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

(That tyre looks horrid - it will be attended to).

Sanded off the ledges and behold:

39008454501_4c93c6b442_z.jpg

Too small now. More rats. Should have stayed with the dry fit method. Lesson #362 learnt.

I've been staring at photos of the prop (hence the order for the markings transfers) and decided it's not flat black (as I had already painted it) so it got a coat of something glossier:

38292891744_c8117241b8_z.jpg

There's going to be some Micro-meshing in my future.

I think I'm ready for filler now. Mojo required.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Thinned he says. Hmmm. We shall see!

I haven't got any new Sovereign enamels,but have a good stock of the old WEM colour coats which I believe are the same formula? I've been spraying them recently thinned with Bob Ross odourless thinners (or odorless as he was American!) & it works very well, with much less smell - could be usefull for brush painting with your nose right over the tin? I would guess any artist's 'sansodor' thinners would work if you can't get the Ross stuff...

Keith

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CedB said:

[...] I think Beard has had success with them before.

Unlike Beetlejuice, you only have to say my name once and I'll appear.

Anyway, I wouldn't call what I achieve, when I brush-paint anything, success.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 3

You see, the wheels are in fine. :idea: welllll 50% and the other 50% are soon to be bludgeoned into awesomeness. I’ve said it before but I’m loving the new “normal” paced build you’re delivering. I’m not missing it while it’s happening.

great stufff old boy. Keep up the good work. 

Johnny.

• Like 3

Thanks Keith - a bought a 250ml bottle of Jamie's thinners at Telford and I've just had a sniff. Yeah man, groovy! Not too bad actually and it can be used for cleaning too.

Thanks Simon - too modest, as usual! :D

Thanks Johnny - wheel done now! Glad you like the snail pace. I'm not sure what's causing it but it's driving me a bit barmy :mental:

Filler tomorrow I hope, then a general clean up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

As promised, filler today.

The machine gun ports on G-ILDA seem to be on top of the LE:

23771646968_75d6ab213c_z.jpg

so these had to be corrected:

27249939749_e17e2fded1_z.jpg

Holes by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

with a drill bit:

38311025624_49072aae35_z.jpg

They'll get sanded and tidied when the filler gets sorted out.

As usual I used some Vallejo in the small gaps:

27250073289_7e607c3ebe_n.jpg 27250084009_b91c1428c2_n.jpg

and to blend in the rear canopy a bit. Humbrol filler on the larger holes:

39027562261_b59041eaa2_z.jpg

shaped and cleaned up a bit as it went off. The instructions tell you to remove one of the bumps and to fill in the ejector ports:

38311464394_017775000f_z.jpg

which is a shame, as they're nicely detailed, but has to be done:

38991319102_4fb49e6980_z.jpg

Not sanded yet, obviously. What do you guys use for this sort of sanding job? I'm tempted to get some Micro-mesh wands. If only I could make sense of the sizes:

Swab%20Tips.jpg

Hmmm.

Senior moment - whilst looking for pads in the shops I remembered I have one of those angled belt sander thingies. Sad old man.

Now mostly cleaned of excess I'll give it a detailed sanding, tidy and polish later:

39027869901_ffbd60bb8c_z.jpg

• Like 9

On 10/12/2017 at 11:47 PM, CedB said:

My suggestion that we replace the barriers with an electric fence was not approved.

Why stop at an electric fence?  A minefield should do it.  Maybe they turned you down because you weren’t radical enough?

I paid a brief visit to the Yeovilton Concorde last week.  Most of my time there was spent contemplating Naval, but the large pointy-nosed airliner is always worth looking at.  Like all aircraft of her vintage, I am always struck by the mixture of technology.  Even now she looks futuristic as a design - surely one of the most beautiful man-made objects ever - but when you get up close and personal she is (of course) full of 1960s technology, which somehow looks utterly incongruous as a result.  

I had the same experience at Cosford last year, when looking at the Buccaneer S1 nose they have (just don’t get me started on the bogus colour scheme...); somehow I didn’t expect a (fairly) modern military jet to be full of valves!

I must visit Aerospace Bristol some time.  If you see a man in his late 50s peering into your projectors, come and say hi!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3