Boultbee Spitfire Tr.9 - AZ Model 1/72

CedB

Thanks Keith - yes, tiny isn't the word for them!

To give myself a break from graphics fiddling I painted the walkway things with some H33 which, as we know, is nice and rough at this scale:

39432931801_43422524d0_z.jpg

Then it was back to the transfers. I printed out the image from the Boultbee site scaled to the same size as the model:

27656133779_77617e9dab_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

So that I could measure the idents:

24567183377_e63918e49d_n.jpg 27656165739_28dfd1c8cc_n.jpg

Back into Inkscape tomorrow to isolate the letters.

• Like 12

Thanks Johnny :)

As it turned out Inkscape was easier than I thought. I found this article on the 'net so, if I remember correctly, my steps were:

1. Import image
  2. Use the pen tool to trace the outline of the ident.
  3. Adjust the 'nodes' to get a nice shape
  4. With the new shape selected, click the dropper and click on some Sky. Surprisingly this filled the new shape with Sky - neat
  5. Repeat for others
  6. Clone results for two copies
  7. Move the new objects off the image and delete it
  8. Resize the objects to 7mm high, keeping proportions.
  9. Print and test

38739376344_d216270c80_z.jpg

Dry fit by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Looking good to me.

What? What's the matter? You want me to print them on decal paper?

Honestly, some people are soooooo picky.

Now I'm happy with the size and shape I've edited the file and changed the outline to Sky too.

Later babes*

*Just to prove I'm 'down with the kids'. Yes, it does sound like a disease. Yes, I hope I get better soon too.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

Bravissimo Ced

You have made great strides with Inkscape maestro

I think all we need now is a link to the magic 'decal' paper Tony used on his Dornier and we're cooking with gas dude*

*see, I can do the hip talk too

Do they still say 'hip' these days?

When I was a lad...

😨

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks Jon :)

Thanks Bill :) Yes, I think they do say 'hip' these days, usually followed by 'replacement', sadly!

I have gathered suitable transfers from the stash:

24582171017_b03640b840_z.jpg

Gathered by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I'll print out the custom ones and find some decalling mojo...

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

I wonder how much of a good match the sky dropper is:whistle:

Thanks Stuart :) Good point. It's from the photo I took so 'realistic' I hope... although looking at the real thing I think their Sky on the band and serials may have had a matching problem too.

Thanks John - your brain hurts? Imagine how mine's feeling! With the 360 video editing and now this I've learnt the basics of far more software than I had planned for my retirement! :)

Thanks Giorgio - custom masks eh? Hmmm :hmmm:

Decals printed, I just need some mojo now:

25580352038_bc281e693e_z.jpg

Printed by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Damn, they look blocky again don't they?

Back to the drawing board later...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Thanks Cookie - I can't wait either!!

OK, calm now.

Stuart got me thinking so I updated the serials using the Digital RAF Colours reference from Clubhyper:

38743528664_cfcd8726b5_z.jpg

Proper Sky by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

@Courageous you were right - you can see the difference between the Sky 'K' and the original colour from the photo, now amended too.

Printed again - I'd printed the 'old' logos file (idiot) rather then the Perdu inspired 'Word' one, now corrected. Both now not as blocky:

27674432709_ceca1e3f74_z.jpg

38743900144_8b387d7baa_z.jpg

I just need to calm down now and work out why the 'Enter/Return' key isn't working.

Just in the post editor.

Give me a break, please!

OK, saved and then edited.

I've learned this afternoon that shouting at software doesn't work... but it does make you feel better.

Calm, calm...

• Like 12

I have all this 'devil work' of DIY decals to look forward to myself and your 'Guinea Pig' trials are saving me work.;)

Not wishing to upset your 'trials', I would have produced my own Sky paint chip from the paint I would use, scan the paint chip and make a custom palette so that could be picked for the serials. :whistle:

...:coat:on.

Stuart

• Like 2

It must be the printer

Blocky is like newsprint colour application little dots to build the image

I'm sure you are using the laser colour printer aren't you

If you want to send me your image file I can do you an inkjet print of this

Inkjets seems to print a layer of flat colour rather than the dots you are getting

But, the actual Inkscape related images look great

( just an aside on this, even in wartime photos Sky type S on the tail band could often be seen to vary from the Sky on the lettering so not a big problem if the Sky differs)

😆

• Like 4

I' don't have to ask, what type of printer, what resolution and what "quality" of print are you using Ced? The dots suggest an older model (which can include anything that's a few years old :huh:) and a normal "quality" print. For my DIY decals I've used a workspace of 5k by 3k (I think!)and gone from there. Will check properly tomorrow! If my insomnia allows...

• Like 3

Looking good Ced!

There are only two curves in the squadron codes (in the bottom of the "J") and so it would be pretty straightforward to mask them up stroke by stroke and brush in some Sky. You could even paint them on to clear decal paper and apply them if you are happy with the result.

Just sayin' :whistle::coat:

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3

x3 on a likely printer issue Ced.

Frustrating. But you are becoming an Inkscape sensei in the process.

That looks more like a draft quality or low dpi output to me.

Solid color should not have a 'dithering' pattern in it like that.

Console yourself with a selection from the War Movie Menu:

Veal Met By Moonlight
The Great Escalope
Das Boeuf
Battle of the Liver Pate
The Gruel Sea

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

14 hours ago, perdu said:

( just an aside on this, even in wartime photos Sky type S on the tail band could often be seen to vary from the Sky on the lettering so not a big problem if the Sky differs)

Read somewhere (maybe in a post by the late Edgar) that the fuselage band was painted on by the factory with the codes being done by an M.U. prior to issuing to a squadron - which is now my stock excuse for the difference in my painted on fuselage bands & kit/xtracolor codes...!! 

I'm surprised Monsieur @TheBaron didn't mention making home made masks from sticky back plastic which worked well on his Dornier - the Spit codes look very suitable for similar treatment....

Keith

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Courageous said:

I have all this 'devil work' of DIY decals to look forward to myself and your 'Guinea Pig' trials are saving me work.;)

Not wishing to upset your 'trials', I would have produced my own Sky paint chip from the paint I would use, scan the paint chip and make a custom palette so that could be picked for the serials. :whistle:

...:coat:on.

Stuart

15 hours ago, giemme said:

Getting there Ced, getting there :clap:

I reckon Stuart has point, too :thumbsup2:

Ciao

Thanks Stuart and Giorgio :) Colour management is a nightmare, not just because of the different 'programmes' running the software, screen and printer but also the 'balance' on the camera.

Good idea but it might open another can of worms?

Thanks Bill and Charlie. You're right of course, the resolution is being messed up somewhere.

Trouble is the screen is 72dpi (as far as I know) and so they will look good until printed.

I have a Dell colour laser (C2660dn) and a Brother inkjet so I should be able to do something with 'Best Quality' printing and 'coated' paper - thanks Bill for the offer anyway.

Thanks Adrian. Paint the idents by hand? Good grief man, you must be confusing me with someone of much better skills and much steadier hands :D

2 hours ago, Leonl said:

This is an education! Great stuff! 

Thanks Leon - yes, it's certainly teaching me a lesson (boom boom tish!)

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

x3 on a likely printer issue Ced.

Frustrating. But you are becoming an Inkscape sensei in the process.

That looks more like a draft quality or low dpi output to me.

Solid color should not have a 'dithering' pattern in it like that.

Console yourself with a selection from the War Movie Menu:

Veal Met By Moonlight
The Great Escalope
Das Boeuf
Battle of the Liver Pate
The Gruel Sea

Thanks Tony. I'm not 'entirely' convinced it's a printer issue - yet. I'll go through my steps later.

Nice selection of films though - you are a wag! :rofl2:

49 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Read somewhere (maybe in a post by the late Edgar) that the fuselage band was painted on by the factory with the codes being done by an M.U. prior to issuing to a squadron - which is now my stock excuse for the difference in my painted on fuselage bands & kit/xtracolor codes...!! 

I'm surprised Monsieur @TheBaron didn't mention making home made masks from sticky back plastic which worked well on his Dornier - the Spit codes look very suitable for similar treatment....

Keith

Thanks Keith. I did consider masks for about three microseconds and then decided I couldn't cut that accurately. I'm sure a proper modeller would have no problems but kit bashers like me have to set their sights a little lower. No lower. Lower than that...

OK, let's see what messes I've made so far this morning after a disturbed night. Damn you Eleanor for waking me up last night. The storm didn't help either.

(Eleanor Tomlinson of course. You know, the Poldark lady. I have developed, in old age, a certain 'interest' in red heads that I didn't have before. Theories?)

Tiny Kora decals applied to the prop:

27689071629_e9b1c45f9f_z.jpg

I've since sanded, filled and repainted the spinner.

Underside roundels from Xtradecal and stencils from Eduard:

39435953502_e43202780e_z.jpg

The Boultbee customs went on OK:

38587631995_e10e4af2f2_z.jpg

27689100879_ab87c088cd_z.jpg

38757840914_468581977b_z.jpg

but need touching up with the matching camo colours. We knew that didn't we. Didn't we? If they don't look 'better' they'll have to come off and I'll re-try (or give up).

As usual the Xtradecals have settled nicely with Micro Sol:

38587801705_4e816a5724_z.jpg

Settled with Sol by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

So my next job is to work out why I'm getting blocky printing and why (oh why oh why) the Sky in Inkscape isn't Sky when it's printed:

38759360244_6c273aca4a_z.jpg

Not Sky! by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Arrggghhh, dammit and several Anglo Saxon curses! :banghead:

• Like 4
  • Sad 4

It isn't sky because you are printing on clear paper

All colour needs reflectance to make it shine, the lightness of a colour depends on how much 'light' gets sent back to the eye

If you remember my Wasp build I had to print my white letters on white paper and use a RAF BG background colour that lets the letters stand out

You will always have to do this if you want to print on a standard printer, inkjet or laser just a fact of life

Now if you want me to play, say so

I'd be happy to

P1120335.jpg

This was me finding the right background colour in MS Word

Edited by perdu
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Bill, you are very kind. Bearing in mind the problems I had with the 'Boultbee' backgrounds though I'm losing the will to live... :(

Thanks Simon - you'd think I'd have something in the stash, or to be able to buy something for goodness sake, but I can't find anything of the same font. Goodness knows what it is... not standard RAF WWII that's for sure.

More problems this morning. Trying a different print setting ('Color') gave me a stripy finish on both plain and decal paper:

38590493225_65677bc769_z.jpg

Plain paper by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

39438882232_caabed4760_z.jpg

Colour paper by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

so I thought I'd try Inkjet paper:

38760973354_988b2468a0_z.jpg

Inkjet by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

See, bobby, so now I'm doubting the drivers. Same image, different print, both straight from Inkscape running in Xwindows on my Macbook.

Anyway, those might work so I just need to coat the dried ink with the special varnish I bought with the paper:

25599464858_8231f7fcfb_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Oh ha ha ha. Want a close up?

24602924557_7657cf830d_z.jpg

Fortunately it's lunchtime so I can forget about it for a while.

If anyone knows where I can buy Sky ident transfers of THAT font I'd be obliged. Very.

Making some masks is starting to look very attractive...

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

51 minutes ago, perdu said:

It isn't sky because you are printing on clear paper

All colour needs reflectance to make it shine, the lightness of a colour depends on how much 'light' gets sent back to the eye

If you remember my Wasp build I had to print my white letters on while paper and use a RAF BG background colour that lets the letters stand out

You will always have to do this if you want to print on a standard printer, inkjet or laser just a fact of life

Yeah Ced, what Perdu said...didn't you know that.:whistle:

Starting to think that this DIY decal melarky isn't that straight forward.:nah:

Edited by Courageous
Addition
  • Like 1