Boultbee Spitfire Tr.9 - AZ Model 1/72

CedB

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Hmmm.

Looking good as usual, but I really want see, how it turns out. I think you have an extra drill on this one.

If you were German, you could differ between  Schwiegereltern in spe or Schwiegereltern after a marriage. So German  seems not to be a bad language to keep it precise with all it's hmm failures. Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Reckon you're on top of that job Ced: it is all brushing up most decently around the nethers there now.

I totally concur with Tony here, Ced :clap:

As for the other matter, liberally translating from Italian, they would be your co-in-laws ... :shrug::D

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Thanks Gents :)

Especially for the 'what do you call your daughter's in-laws?' I like outlaws (thanks Tony) but co-in-laws sounds more p.c. - thanks Giorgio!

Stew you're right it is a Bonne Maman jam-jar, one of a few 'recycled' after our last French holiday. Handy size.

After another thin coat and a micro-mesh polishing I'm happyish with this:

27352294549_f2538e8178_z.jpg

38419865734_b77aa5532f_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Note the attempt at replicating the top of the u/c. I should really have stuck the cut-off gear legs on the back but hey ho.

Masking for the camo next.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Nice one Ced. Is Flickr working for you I take it? I’ve tried everything and no joy. :huh:

Jont

I've had no problems with Flickr....

Ian

• Like 1

5 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I've had no problems with Flickr....

Ian

Really?  (Sorry for the :offtopic:Ced) I have tried bb codes at work on the pc, all other types of link and my iPhone but nothing embeds. :crying: madness. Jont.

(ok back to the wonderful spitfire) :popcorn:

Edited by The Spadgent

Thanks John :)

Johnny, like Ian, I'm having no problems with Flickr but then I always use the BBCode option to share from my Macbook.

AlexN put me on to the BBCode sharing from a laptop. It's easy(ish):

Click a photo to open it.
Click the Share icon Right-pointing arrow.
Click BBCode.
Pick the size you want to display.
Copy the code and paste it into your post.

You can also get rid of the standard 'title link'. You can edit the pasted code or remove the second link (everything after the first '[/url]')

I often have two pictures side by side by using the 320 size, pasting the first and deleting the second link, adding a space and then pasting the second picture's code. Handy if you have two 'not that interesting' pictures and you want to save space.

HTH :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

pondering the number of coats I needed for the underside and the experiences of others on BM I decided that the brush was the problem (bad workman and all that). So, after 3 minutes stirring I applied a coat of Ocean Grey to the top with a Tamiya Modelling Brush:

38300222405_6762e99fa4_z.jpg

Ocean Grey first coat by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Still dipping the brush in thinners and removing the excess on the side of the thinners jar but wow, what a difference:

38300225885_c08fd00f2b_z.jpg

I don't think I'll be needing as many coats on this and, perhaps, not even the polishing.

Happy bunny.

• Like 12

Thanks Benedikt - I hope you have a great break too :)

Thanks Adrian - son-out-law, :rofl2:

Thanks Cookie - I hope you sort it out (looks like you have?) :)

I have an admission to make. Overconfident, I applied another thinned coat too soon and the brush scraped up the surface into a gritty mess. I cleaned it off with a cotton bud and some thinners:

27415927789_1cc4f843d3_z.jpg

Patchy - my fault by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Luckily another coat after an overnight dry has gone down well:

24331724207_95a88cf519_z.jpg

The plan is to apply the DG next and then go back over the Ocean Grey where I'm not happy with the finish.

Christmas preparation tasks are building but I hope to get some time in over the next few days.

• Like 13

8 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

That's better than I can do with a brush Ced!

Wow, thanks Jamie, that means a lot coming from you. I shall puff out my chest for a while before I mess up :D

7 hours ago, Beard said:

You're not the first person to do that, and you won't be the last.

6 hours ago, giemme said:

:ditto:  :D

Ciao

Thanks Simon and Giorgio - always nice to know I'm not alone :D

5 hours ago, Leonl said:

Great brush work, but why? Surely airbrush is more consistent?

Thanks Leon. Two reasons for the hairy brush, nostalgia and (more importantly) the fact that I've yet to set up a vent on the spray booth. I have the bits (thanks to Spookytooth) and I've promised Jamie I'll try it, so it won't be long.

Friends for dinner tonight but I have identified that G-ILDA has the 'A' scheme camo and prepared the suitable templates by spraying the back with 3M Remount.

I won't be applying them until I'm really, really, really, really sure the paint is dry.

Tomorrow, I hope.

• Like 6

Eee. Thar's brooshing up a storm on yon airy craft mister. Arve no seen such a nice finish wi' a broosh since Bob Brewster 'ad 'is comb-over restyled for the Pride of Doncaster competition last Whitsun.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Eee. Thar's brooshing up a storm on yon airy craft mister. Arve no seen such a nice finish wi' a broosh since Bob Brewster 'ad 'is comb-over restyled for the Pride of Doncaster competition last Whitsun.

That reminds me. I was at an airshow at Fairyhouse racecourse in Co Meath back in 1981. A chap standing in front of me had a comb-over. A gust caught it and it lifted like the commander's hatch on a Chieftain.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Haha 6

19 hours ago, Beard said:

You're not the first person to do that, and you won't be the last.

It’s a Rite of Passage for any modeller.

Great work Ced. Looking forward to the green going on. Another shout out for micromesh to smooth out the brush marks and polish up.

Trevor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1