Boultbee Spitfire Tr.9 - AZ Model 1/72

CedB

Great news on the healing of the Hound of the Boultbee-builder.

Don't fret over the TET-dabs - I found a small piece of brass superglued my to wrist when I got in the car to go to work this morning.

It looked like I'd been microchipped...

• Haha 11

12 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Shows how observant I am - I'd never noticed on the real thing just how different that rear canopy is to the front one!

Glad Mols is on the mend, she'll soon be running you off your feet again!

Keith

Thanks Keith - she's already pulling on the lead again... naughty dog!

11 hours ago, malpaso said:

The canopies fit just as well as mine did!  There was an “air” of the front canopy being lopsided but it didn’t show too badly in the end.  Probably the fact I discovered the gunsight about a week later whilst sorting the leftovers for the Spitfires spares box means I hope no one looks at H-99 too closely anyway.

I was looking at some photos of real Tr9s and the front of the rear canopy is wider than the fuselage on the real thing, so a spot of filler to fair it on is prototypical!

cheers

Will

Thanks Will - the front one on mine took some fiddling but it did eventually settle to a nice side to side fit. Sadly there are gaps at the back.

As Keith noted and you say the rear canopy is a bit of a bodge lot different to the front. Here's the reference I'm using:

42dabe_9b72325c1c744c5980109efbef42f37e.

Hopefully I can get the front of it blended in :shutup:

3 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

You think you have problems with finger prints, imagine having to model with  set of tentacles! Great news about Molly.

Martian

Thanks Martian :D

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Great news on the healing of the Hound of the Boultbee-builder.

Don't fret over the TET-dabs - I found a small piece of brass superglued my to wrist when I got in the car to go to work this morning.

It looked like I'd been microchipped...

Thanks Tony :)

Micro-chipping is a great idea - then we can do away with fingerprints altogether!

• Like 8

I was listening but its OK, nobody ever takes any notice of me anyway

This rear 'bubbleycanopy' it seems to me that this is an ideal time to mould a new thinner one off the kit one

Or even make a milliput buck that is a tad smaller all round and pull mould one that confirms better to the fuselage

But its OK nobody takes any notice of me

😉

Good news that she's pulling again Ced, they know far better than vets or owners what they're up for

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Or even make a milliput buck that is a tad smaller all round and pull mould one that confirms better to the fuselage

If you fill the original canopy with milliput Bill, the buck should naturally be smaller anyway, at least by the thickness of the original, should be enough....?

Keith

• Like 2

Sadly not mate (©H.Enfield)

If you put Milliput inside it won't come out afterwards

I reckon anyone with a dollop of suitably sized Milli and a good sharp sihrce can soon shape up a decent replica in "smaller"

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Beard said:

Don't say that... you never know who's listening.

Sorry Simon, I wasn't thinking - time to replace the tin foil hat :D

Thanks Bill, oh master of the multi-line posts. I'm listening, just not ready for any pulling just yet.

Thanks Crisp - Bill wants me to try that first step to insanity, plunge molding your own canopies. Not yet, not yet (and certainly not on this 'special' one)

Thanks Tony - great image - is that you getting ready to drill the Dornier sponsons? :D

Thanks Keith - see? 'Dollop' of Milliput and file it to shape? The men in white coats would be around in minutes!

More faffing this afternoon after taking Mols to the vet (she passed!)

Fingerprints gone(ish):

24025347207_57421b1c78_z.jpg

I was pleased to find a use for those 'pencil sanders' we all bought because we thought they could be sharpened (they can't):

24025354977_3bd06ec0c5_z.jpg

This one's on my bench with a bit of Micro-mesh glued to the angled end as recommended by Cookie. It turns out it's ideal for cleaning up Gator's Grip - it just kind of fell off clean with a bit of a push. Handy.

Another handy tool arrived this week from China, one of the Baron suggested cuticle clippers sprue removal tools. I thought I'd compare it to my new Xuron's:

25023560958_53db65748f_n.jpg 38008402505_af2f2d0a56_n.jpg

Ha! Both 'snick' through the sprue attachment leaving a (very) small compression mark inside the connection point but without stressing the surrounding plastic.

Both are excellent.

The Xuron 2175 Professionals are £21 from Paul at Modelling Tools (although I got mine cheaper in a bundle deal with some PE cutters)

The 'Tools Cutter Plier Professional Finger Nipper Cuticle Clipper Manicure Nail' were £2.22 on eBay. Free postage from China.

Pays your money and takes your choice :weep::doh:

Luckily for me I don't have room for the clippers in the rack:

38179642114_4b415e2be1_z.jpg

... so I'll put them away to hide my foolishness.

Anyway, as you can see I'm assembling the radiators. While sanding one of the grills it pinged out of the tweezers (some people never learn).

I heard roughly where it landed.

Luckily I spotted it on the bench:

38864832542_248069199f_z.jpg

Lucky. Luckier than you think. It's not the bench I work on but the one I use for transfer application over there:

38864836602_b84f233d3c_z.jpg

Now, usually I'd be pleased about that but I need to hold on to my luck - the results of the Aston Martin Red 10 raffle are out tomorrow.

I'm bound to win eh?

Eh?

Hmmm. Without that level of delusion perhaps I should try molding a new canopy :mental:

Onwards.

Radiator grills glued and covers fitted:

38008539005_b3fe8f5451_n.jpg 25023833518_70b17d20de_n.jpg

Over the pub tonight so history tells us I may not get much done tomorrow.

Mrs B is also a bit poorly with a cold thingy.

I've told her not to give it to me and, of course, suggested she swots up on the Man Flu video in case she gives it to me.

She's suggested I get some of this:

emergency-care-bundle-3.png

Finally, modern science has invented something useful :D

• Like 9
  • Haha 7

6 hours ago, perdu said:

If you put Milliput inside it won't come out afterwards

It will (usually) if you coat the inside of the old canopy with vaseline...(also works well as a release agent on silicone moulds, especially the liquid stuff they sell in arty places like 'the Range')

Or if it doesn't just break the original off....!! :whistle: :D

1 hour ago, CedB said:

the results of the Aston Martin Red 10 raffle are out tomorrow.

I'm bound to win eh?

If I wish you good luck Ced, and you win, can I have a go - please? Pretty please...??!!

Keith

• Haha 1

Ditto and double ditto

Ah guys

I have just realised he won't tell us

He knows we're all so jealous about the Spitfire

The Harvard

The Dragon Rapide

The, well everything, we'd probably turn round and ignore him

Who is really Lucky Jim when he runs out of mates..

Only joking Ced, we are all on your side mate

Dammit Ced we all want a ride in it with you

😉

And we love Mol's too much to fall out with the guy who gets to have her sit on his feet at night

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Thanks John, Giorgio and Simon - it looks as though I may have dodged the lurgie (fingers crossed) so no shed for me! :)

Thanks Keith, Tony and Bill - sadly my luck didn't stretch to the Aston, it was won by a chap in SE London. The good news is they raised £1.5m for the RAFBF. And I won't have to worry any more about where to keep it safe. Happy to give you a ride around in the Golf though, anytime :)

Thanks Johnny - nothing wrong with a bit of schadenfreude mate :)

Thanks Benedikt - next week? Who knows... :)

Somewhat fragile today but a very good night was had by all! Nothing like a good beer in good company.

• Like 6

Hope you are feeling better this evening

I am

P1010002.jpg

It is Christmas, it is it is it really is, it even snowed tonight whilst I was in the pub dining

And stopped by the time I came home (We, the boss and I pop out for a pub meal a couple of times per week, tonight it snowed)  :penguin::penguin::penguin:

• Like 5

Thanks Simon - plenty of dog hair in this house! :)

Hey Bill - you got the pink ones too! Good aren't they? I hope the snow doesn't stop your weekend jobs. No, wait, that'll give you more modelling time :D

Dry 'fitted' the u/c earlier:

38915885621_58a294e211_z.jpg

Another kit that isn't designed for wheels up. Rats.

• Like 6

Pink never worried me Ced and my dirty hands will soon have a flattening effect

:)

Dodgy doors, how often do we see that on Spitfire models?

I remember a chap many moons ago, had exactly the same problem

I wonder if I can find the build to help me give you some advice?

• Haha 1