Boultbee Spitfire Tr.9 - AZ Model 1/72

CedB

7 hours ago, keefr22 said:

You do live life on the edge Ced...!!

Been away in Hampshire for the weekend again, so thought I'd catch up on some Spitfire modelling only to find you've been playing with an airliner and some boardgame instead...dominos down the pub tomorrow is it?! :whistle: :lol:

Keith

Thanks Keith :) No dominos for me... I don't like the effect :D

6 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hello Ced, as everybody here knows, that you love tools, a tidy workbench and your Molly this could be the right christmas present. I mean christmas is coming soon:

post2.jpg

Cheers

Thanks Benedikt - great idea... except if the dog sees a squirrel and runs off with all the tools :D

6 hours ago, Hamden said:

Just seen on Facebook 2-seat Spitfire page that Boultbee have ceased offering Spitfire experiences and anyone with vouchers or bookings to phone them. 

Roger

Thanks Roger - I think they've just closed for the winter; they have bookings available from April next year. Just saying :)

6 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Another superb 'Ced with aircraft' photographic study there me old Speedbird.

Don't forget to regale the punters with tales of the Chris Burden's balsawood plane exceeding Concorde's maximum velocity:

'In C.B.T.V. to Einstein (1977), Burden flew a makeshift stick and rubber band powered airplane through the cabin of the Concorde during a trans-Atlantic flight. Using Einstein’s theory of special relativity, Burden determined that for its brief moment in flight, his handmade aircraft achieved a speed greater than that of the commercial jet.'

(https://www.gagosian.com/now/burdens-airship-takes-flight)

Sorry to hear that  the plastic doesn't have you at your usual ebullient best my friend.

'Wherefore I perceive that there is nothing better, than that a man should rejoice in his own works.'

Thanks Tony :) What a great link - I like that idea. Fastest model of all time.

1 hour ago, Tomoshenko said:

Nice one Ced, erm don't let less try and dissuade you from donning an air stewardesses uniform...

1 hour ago, perdu said:

^^^^^^

But please tell them to desist if they ask you to pose vogue in the uniform

I might never fly airline again...

:wicked:

No worries there Tomo and Bill, I reserve the uniform for weekends only :D

I'm hoping to do some more tomorrow - watch this space > <.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Ooer Roger, that certainly looks terminal :( I booked my flight here and that seems to still be up and taking bookings for April? Maybe they're a separate outfit? :shrug:

Thanks Benedikt but chasing dogs isn't one of my favourite activities :D

Interesting episode of 'All in the Mind' on Radio 4 this afternoon featuring the winners of this year's 'Brain Prize'. Their research was about how the brain's reward centre works and the 'reward prediction error', the difference between what you're expecting and what you actually get. if you get more than you expect you're happy, less and you're unhappy and avoid that in the future.

I think my lack of mojo is my subconscious remembering that AZ kits are a pain. I wish I'd remembered.

Some fiddling this afternoon trying to get the cockpit bits together with no locating marks / slots, I resorted to glueing in bits, starting with the seat bulkheads and looking underneath to make sure things were straight:

38584660561_c11a6ddd5d_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Not ideal. I've also inserted the rear IP. I want to just glue things to the right hand fuselage half so I can take some photos, but the IP seems to fit the other side. And there's a gap between the halves:

38584675071_5fc77a2111_z.jpg

I'll let those bits dry and see if my mojo increases.

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

The interior looks good Ced. If you had asked, I would have suggested glueing the fuselage halves together, after a dry-fit to work out how much sanding the cockpit bits needed to ensure there isn't a gap, then inserting the cockpit bits after the glue has set.

AZ models can be a pain but you need to remember that you're the bloke who did a splendid job of the Airfix Gosling.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Simon - I may yet get that too!

I must remember to fit the wings to make sure I don't squash the fuselage too much and give myself more problems later.

I know some people glue the top wings to the fuselage first but the wing halves are already out of line so I'll have a fiddle...

• Like 1

Well, I got a bit of mojo this morning but it was quickly soaked up by trying to fit the floor in the back:

26819126639_eea4202f9b_z.jpg

Control column banging on the IP. Have I got the wrong one?

38595884711_c3fc5f7c08_z.jpg

The one I think is the rear floor has a slightly thicker back but the column is in the same place. Hmmm. The IP is where the instructions say it should be but I think it's actually further into the fuselage on the real thing:

37592282002_a2628d2a66_z.jpg

Good job I didn't follow the instructions by glueing the floors to the seat bulkheads and then using the 'approved BM' method of inserting it from underneath (I'm being careful so I don't get boll told off again)

I shall try again later.

Driving Mrs B around Bath this morning and we saw a great sign that said "The more you weight the heavier you are to kidnap. Stay safe. Eat cake".

I'm all for that. Mrs B sadly not.

• Like 6
  • Haha 8

4 minutes ago, CedB said:

"The more you weight the heavier you are to kidnap. Stay safe. Eat cake".

Anyone who thought of that phrase is a genius, and should immediately be awarded a Nobel prize :D  :D  :D 

I feel your pain about your wife disagreeing, though ... :( 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On ‎21‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:56 PM, Hamden said:

Just seen on Facebook 2-seat Spitfire page that Boultbee have ceased offering Spitfire experiences and anyone with vouchers or bookings to phone them. 

Roger

I'm pretty sure that the company which has ceased trading is flywithspitfires.com, which offered flights alongside Spitfires...that's how I read it, anyway.

Dean

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Very occasionally I'm treated to one of these, for me the perfect cake; one more mouthful and I'd be sick.

Noticed this in the 'product information' section for that lavish slab Ced:

consume within two days from the date of collection / delivery

As if it's really gonna last longer than the next cup of tea...:fool:

In my case it should probably read:

Ensure that you are not visible to onlookers when gorging upon this in your usual monstrous fashion.

• Haha 4

Thanks Dean - ah, another outfit, thought it might be :)

Thanks Tony - definitely, they don't last five minutes. Well, OK, ten then. So big they have to be eaten with a knife and fork (cake forks just aren't up to the job) with a nice cuppa to wash away, if only for a while, the sickly sweetness :Tasty:

• Like 2

ay ess, one feinds it very impowtant to pwoject the right image to ones neighbours.

Posers.

I'm with Quentin Crisp on this "Don't try to keep up with the Joneses, draaagggg them down to your level - it's cheaper!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

With a little bit of mojo, a lot of trimming and some TET, the rear floor is now in:

37897705684_956738ab96_z.jpg

Nothing seems to fit really well so I'm taking this slowly and letting things that ARE in the right place dry before trying other bits.

• Like 9

I finally feel I'm making progress... famous last words :)

The instructions say that the floors and columns are the same parts:

38561591056_5b8c53a550.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

but in fact they're slightly different. As the TR bits are on a separate sprue I made sure I kept the rear bits (floor with larger rear bit, column slightly shorter) separate but, to be honest, I'm not sure anything fits well anywhere. With the rear floor fitted (at last) and the front bulkhead in, I found that the front floor was too short:

37730435695_1dfc093d5b_z.jpg

Rats. A bit of strip on the back:

38619516001_3a0f436f78_z.jpg

... glued on a glass block so it didn't stick to the bench. Time for the crew to come off their block:

26843232639_3d59635605_z.jpg

and, thanks to PJ Productions 'correct' sizing, they fit in the cockpit without the need for surgery:

38587425672_31cf872db3_z.jpg

26843596029_23af030eea_z.jpg

You lookin' at me?

Out tonight for a triple bill of contemporary dance. I know. Not really my thing but hey, one should try everything once (except, as they say, incest and Morris dancing) :D

• Like 12
  • Haha 3

sounds like you are encountering the same issues I am having with the Fly kit Ced.

It's amazing what a difference some form of positive location feature makes.  It certainly looks like you are bringing it together though - nice work

• Like 1

Well I dunno

Incest?

Nobody in my family even remotely fanciable, but morris dancing?

Hmm if I had flexible knees I could enjoy learning the routines as long as no actual performances were to be done in public

I think I'm getting even more ocd-istic in my dotage

Dance??

Madame I'd be delighted, can somebody mind this zimmer for me please?

MiniCed and his codriver are looking beekneesey in the extreme

Bravo Mon brave

• Like 1
  • Haha 1