Boultbee Spitfire Tr.9 - AZ Model 1/72

CedB

15 hours ago, keefr22 said:

And I may, or may not, be able to guess what for....;)

Keith

:D Thanks Keith - we'll see whether I can fit them later...

15 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Hey that's a pretty cool 'smiling Ced', especially when you consider that it's zoomed in like 10x in that image.

14 hours ago, giemme said:

Agreed! He has that "I'm having the time of my life" kind of grin :D

Ciao

Thanks Cookie and Giorgio :) The painting isn't up to Stew standards but good enough for the ceiling... and possibly some close up photos later. Possibly.

13 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Nice job on Little Ced, Ced B)

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew, appreciated! :)

• Like 2

Pause.

Lee Child (a favourite) was on 'Saturday Live' this morning (a favourite) and there's a new Jack Reacher book out.

I'm 10% through it.

Won't be long...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, CedB said:

Pause.

Lee Child (a favourite) was on 'Saturday Live' this morning (a favourite) and there's a new Jack Reacher book out.

I'm 10% through it.

Won't be long...

Favourite of many on here, I'm sure. (Disguised me too post!)

Take your time, we don't mind waiting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Damn! Missed that, one of my favourite authors too. I listen to the Jack Reacher books on my IPod, they are read by Jeff Harding who does a splendid job of bringing the written words to life. SWMBO is listening to the latest book at the moment and will pass it on to me.

OK we'll wait but not too long ( said he who hasn't posted anything on either build for a couple of weeks ).

Cheers

John

• Like 1

It's funny (or is it?) I'm waiting to get the new Reacher (Chrimb!e probably, you know how it is...) and have been reading them all again backwards

No

Not.  End The ...

Just finished No Middle Name then decided to give the backwards run a try

Still great and I have just started to Burn Echo

Four to go?

But the Boultbee Spit is a real treat and the co-pilot a treat too

He/you look the bizz Ced ☺

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks John, John and Bill - not surprising I guess that there are other Jack fans on here.

I saw Lee Child at a book reading for the launch of the last one (or was it the one before) and, of course, he was asked about casting Tom Cruise as the 6' 5", 230lb character. This morning on the radio he had a better explanation; "It's like a Venn diagram where the circles didn't meet". They needed someone physically suitable, someone who could play the part, someone who wanted to do it and someone who could bring in the box office returns. Three out of four wasn't bad and, surprise surprise, there are NO 6' 5" actors, "except perhaps John Cleese" :D

61% through 'The Midnight Line' - a great read as usual. I love the way he 'pulls you in' to the story and the short chapters / section breaks that allow you to get on with life and / or have a break, if only a short one. Because he's left you on a cliff hanger, again.

First time volunteering at Aerospace Bristol tomorrow afternoon. Wish me luck!

• Like 7

Thanks Bill :)

An interesting experience. It's been a long time since I had a 'job' just standing around 'to help people'. I got lucky though (again) and my first shift was 'Front of Concorde':

26748101429_d20d8ac5ed_z.jpg

On duty front of Concorde by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Job role? No more than 10 people allowed onboard. Health and Safety apparently. If the queue gets too long put a 'barrier' across the entrance to the nose to speed things up. Generally answer questions. Ah, should have boned up more on Alpha Foxtrot. Thanks to quiet periods and my iPhone I now know the answers are:

Just over 6000

Various locations (I found out here).

I must do some more research.

Some of the other volunteers told me there were twenty built; two prototypes, two pre-production and eight in each airline. Looks like there were actually four in the development fleet and, as I'd learned on YouTube (so it must be right) seven in each fleet.

I also learned that French builds were given serials starting with '1' and UK ones with '2'.

I risk becoming a Concorde bore, sorry.

Lots of people, and not just the children, were strangely interested in the toilets. Much hilarity that they probably didn't have perspex doors when in service.

Probably two-way mirrors...

The main exhibition is getting finished. The models now have labels:

24650272598_11df2185cb_z.jpg

Nice to be privileged enough to wander around when people have left, if only for a few minutes.

I think I'll go back. Soon

• Like 21

Ced, I can't believe there is such a thing as a Concorde bore, and if there were, it wouldn't be you!

It sounds almost like a dream job for an aircraft enthusiast, oh, lucky you!

• Like 1

Wonderful

My friend Ced has every boy's dream retirement

Flies Spitfires, "drop of a hat, old bean toodleoo" gallops round Cambs in Harvards

Clambers all over Dragon Rapides "Oh yes, they insisted..."

And generally lives the life Reilly wishes he had. 😀 

I hope you and old Conky have a lovely time together, I might get the guvner and I down to Filton (as was) to meet up with you next year, she's always had an affinity to delta winged flying machines too

Edited by perdu
  • Like 5

Thanks Giorgio, very kind of you.

Hi John - Oh yes there is (is it nearly Pantomime time?)

Thanks John - Duxford sounds good to me too, if a bit far for me.

Ah Bill, I have been very lucky since I retired in June but, I have to say, what's next? I've set the bar too high methinks.

Hi Leon - I think it would be worth the trip. Plenty to keep the young ones amused. Probably.

Mojo low at the moment as I ponder whether I can be bothered to detail the rear cockpit. Especially the canopy handle. Shown here at the top:

37592282462_34531b5c46_z.jpg

Hmmm. Tiny.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Mojo low at the moment

Hello Ced, that happens, but good sleep and good food normaly cures this fast. For me usually. Morgens eine Stulle frisches Brot mit Nutella wirkt Wunder mit Kaffee. For breakfast a thick slice of fresh bread with Nutella and a cup of coffee works wonders to me. (By the way this guy is a tough one):

post2.jpg

Cheers. Hope you find your mojo back soon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, CedB said:

Mojo low at the moment.

Aw, don’t fret Mr B. Everyone needs a bit of a plastic rest now and again. Especially on the Chrimble run up. Look at me I’ve been on a bits and bobs pass for about three weeks now.:giles:  As for the handle? Will you see it? On the roof? either way I’m sure it’ll look great.

John. :pilot:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, CedB said:

Mojo low at the moment as I ponder whether I can be bothered to detail the rear cockpit.

Sorry Buffers. For cockpit detailing, my rule of thumb is: don't. But reasonable men may differ. 

21 hours ago, Whofan said:

It sounds almost like a dream job for an aircraft enthusiast, oh, lucky you!

I was going to say, and here I thought Ced, and his life, couldn't get any more fun and interesting. But here we are. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Sorry Buffers. For cockpit detailing, my rule of thumb is: don't

Only to the absolute bare minimum is my take on cockpits. Works for me that way & even then I am always happy to get it out of the way.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Benedikt - ah, a good sleep, I remember that. I had one in 1983, just before our first child was born. (Look away PC!) They train you to get up early you know, before they turn into teenagers that you can't get up before noon. Now, for some unknown reason, I always wake up early(ish) each morning and my brain (what's left of it) starts thinking 'There must be something important I have to do today' and before I realise there isn't, I'm awake. ish. Oh for a lie in - I'm hoping I can do that soon.

11 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

You'll be doing it at faster than the speed of sound.

So we won't hear a thing.

Thanks Pete :D I am boning up on G-BOAF for my next shift (yet to be booked). Faster than sound indeed but you'll hear the sonic booms. I wonder how, when Concorde was travelling faster than sound, how the passengers ordered their food and drinks? Perhaps they had to write it down...

(I considered putting a 'this is a joke' emoticon in there but thought better of it, and you the reader!)

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

Sorry Buffers. For cockpit detailing, my rule of thumb is: don't. But reasonable men may differ. 

I was going to say, and here I thought Ced, and his life, couldn't get any more fun and interesting. But here we are. 

Thanks PC, you are very kind :) I'm going to try a couple more shifts at Aerospace although I fear that standing around herding visitors isn't going to hold my interest for very long and my knowledge isn't good enough (yet) to add much to the experience for them. We shall see.

Thanks Johnny and Steve - two more votes for no detailing so I may be encouraged to give it a miss... I still have the transfer details to challenge me!

Backgammon club this morning so I might not do much.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Backgammon club this morning so I might not do much.

You do live life on the edge Ced...!!

Been away in Hampshire for the weekend again, so thought I'd catch up on some Spitfire modelling only to find you've been playing with an airliner and some boardgame instead...dominos down the pub tomorrow is it?! :whistle: :lol:

Keith

• Haha 5

Another superb 'Ced with aircraft' photographic study there me old Speedbird.

Don't forget to regale the punters with tales of the Chris Burden's balsawood plane exceeding Concorde's maximum velocity:

'In C.B.T.V. to Einstein (1977), Burden flew a makeshift stick and rubber band powered airplane through the cabin of the Concorde during a trans-Atlantic flight. Using Einstein’s theory of special relativity, Burden determined that for its brief moment in flight, his handmade aircraft achieved a speed greater than that of the commercial jet.'

(https://www.gagosian.com/now/burdens-airship-takes-flight)

Sorry to hear that  the plastic doesn't have you at your usual ebullient best my friend.

'Wherefore I perceive that there is nothing better, than that a man should rejoice in his own works.'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1