Boultbee Spitfire Tr.9 - AZ Model 1/72

CedB

After many years working I finally sold my company and retired (hooray!)

What to do? Modelling, obviously.

Better sort out pension funds (boring). But that, to be honest, gave me a better sense of my mortality as the insurance companies 'placed their bets' on how long I'd last. SIPP, that's the answer.

Watch 'The Bucket List' again. Talk to friends.

I already had the opinion that I should 'refuse to exchange any of my current pleasures for another month in the nursing home'. Then I read this:

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” Hunter S. Thompson, The Proud Highway: Saga of a Desperate Southern Gentleman, 1955-1967

Then through some sort of serendipity I met two people who had ridden in a Spitfire. A real one.

To cut a long story short I spent some of my children's inheritance and booked a flight with Boultbee Academy at Goodwood. Did I enjoy it? Of course I did...

Wow, what a ride.

I'd better build a model of that then.

• Like 25
  • Haha 1

I tracked down an AZ Model Tr.9, this one:

353487-15526-86-pristine.jpg

(From scalemates.com)

Scalemates says this is a fairly new tool so it should be a rest from my recent 'vintage Airfix' ventures for the Floatplanes GB. Some sprue shots:

38030227902_8698a86ee0_z.jpg

37351859224_02dca4ba2f_z.jpg

Standard, I think, but with this sprue for the Tr.9:

38007877566_785cee9550_z.jpg

and, of course, two canopies:

24208861128_a43a6597a9_z.jpg

I took lots of reference shots when I was at Goodwood so hopefully she'll look something like this when finished:

23771648428_a37eab0027_z.jpg

Now, where can I get fat old bloke pilot figures from...

• Like 25

Welcome Simon - gosh, that was quick! Please feel free to chip in with any warnings / tips! :)

Hi Martian - glad to have you along.

• Like 1

I'm in, and fairly early for once.

Just watched the video again, thanks for letting us live the experience vicariously through you. The looks  of sheer delight on your face during the takeoff and rolls were a joy to behold. 

Now get on with it.

John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Welcome Simon - gosh, that was quick! Please feel free to chip in with any warnings / tips! :)

Hi Martian - glad to have you along.

I've been waiting for this one so I've made sure I don't miss it but Martian's warnings and/ or tips might be better than mine.

Having said that, I'll offer some:

1) be careful when you remove the clipped-wing bits and attach the full-span wingtips, it's easy to make a mess of it.

2) attach some backing plates behind the exhausts.

• Thanks 1

Holly God,

The ink on the Gosling thread is not dried yet and....

meeep meeeep !! Here's a promise kept !

On with the TR 9 ! I will ty to stay quiet in a corner !

Soooo, you'll start the T-6 on Sunday ??

Glad to follow another Ced thread, if you don't mind ... ?

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

Ced, is that the new boxing?  With Dutch and Irish markings?  Mine is the all Dutch one from a couple of years ago, and is in tan plastic rather than grey.  It all goes together fairly well, if somewhat vaguely in the rear cockpit.  The rear canopy itself seems a little wide when in place, not sure there's much to do about it.  I look forward to seeing your build.  

A friend who also flew with Boultbee splashed out on the CMR kit from their souvenir shop.  He found it challenging as his first resin job even though he's won awards at SMW.  He was jealous of the AZ one I was building, if only we'd known they'd go back into production...

Cheers

Will

• Like 1

Oh maaaaaaaate!

That was awesome!

I watched the whole video

You lucky, lucky....lucky.........lucky.................sweetheart! LOL!

That was amazing. I can't imagine how much you would have enjoyed that experience.

Absolutely you have to make a model of that!

Fantastic.

Thanks for posting 

What a cracker

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Roger and welcome. I'm not sure there's much to learn from me!

Hi PC, great to have you along.

Thanks John - pleased to share my toys with friends. The 'Spitfire Smile' still crosses my face every time I watch it.

Thanks Simon - too modest, as usual. Your help will be much appreciated! I've already taken advice on 1) and, you'll be pleased to know, AZ include some backing plates on the Tr.9 sprue.

Welcome CC - I'm taking my time on this so a Sunday completion might be optimistic... maybe!

Hi Will. Yes, it's AZ7560 so the picture is misleading (there's no Scalemates picture for it so I used the older one). It does have 'the Irish option'. Thanks for the warnings - I'll watch out.

Welcome Giorgio, nice to have you along.

Thanks Bruce - if you enjoyed the 'highlights' video have a look at the full flight in 360 video! 50 minutes of smiles. You'll need Google Chrome (although Firefox works too on the Mac) to view it but you can move the view around using the mouse. Or watch on your Smartphone using the YouTube App. The full video is here. Highlights:

2:20 chocks away
5:58 Line up and take off!
7:54 Lars closes his canopy (note the gap at the back)
9:00 not rain - clouds!
13:00 Portsmouth, Queen Elizabeth in the distance
16:18 Cowes Isle of Wight
18:00 I have control! Flying a Spitfire!
19:55 stay out of the clouds!
20:20 You have control (sad face)
21:30 Needles and white cliffs
32:15 Barrel roll #1
33:10 Barrel roll #2
37:00 that is rain
38:00 Arundel
42:19 Airfield in sight (just)
44:45 sweeping approach
49:08 shut down

Thanks Bill, glad to have you along.

Thanks Keith - busy already! Welcome!

Welcome Steve - thanks, it is nice to be modelling something in the log book. Perhaps we should have T-Shirts made? :D

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

As John said, get on with it...

Simon warned about the wing tip removal so I thought I'd have a go at that first. Off with the wing bits:

38064609641_8b8cb4358c_z.jpg

Why??? by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Well, that's a pain - they're joined to the sprue at an angle so sprue cutters leave a nub inside the wing. If you think it's a good idea so you don't get stress marks, wait until you chisel off the nubs. Should have been more careful. Harumph.

The instructions say to glue the wings together and then cut off the ends. Hmmm. I assume that the cutting removes these bits:

26288239359_1e58d61dff_z.jpg

so I thought 'why not cut them off before the wing is together? My 'Dexter saw' was too brutal and started veering off:

37355037014_9b3643c6e2_z.jpg

so I switched to a 'contour saw'. Much better:

38011333516_92a940a85f_z.jpg

I really like those things; nice and thin but still 'stiff'. Soon the two ends were off so I dry fitted the lower wings:

38064935571_ebf69497aa_n.jpg 38033725922_3fa1eaa4c2_n.jpg

I foresee some filler and re-scribing in my future. I can only take heart that I'm not the only member of the 'AZ wing tip groaners club'. Great group of chaps.

Have I got the wing halves lined up?

37355361864_da885b08ae_z.jpg

Looks like, on this side, the cannons or the guns line up, but not both. Or do I need to 'un warp' the wings? The cannon holes get filled and the gun ports covered anyway so I'm not too bothered:

23771646968_75d6ab213c.jpg

I've sloshed some plastic pot H78 on the innards:

37358677524_9a65e6abc0_z.jpg

and there are some nice details crying out for attention:

37358683844_7598238600_z.jpg

26292062059_cbeeb9c6f4_n.jpg 38037254542_8bf15bd516_n.jpg

Those blank bits either side of 'my instrument panel' (oooh, get me!) are the blanks for behind the exhausts by the way. Note that the rear seat is IG and the camera on the rear panel:

37592282002_a2628d2a66_z.jpg 37592282462_34531b5c46.jpg

Also note the blue handle to the right side of the seat - the canopy winder. That'll have to go in, it was a pain!

• Like 13

That's spooky! My lovely wife has just managed to post my avatar after my miserable attempts failed! I am sitting in a Spitfire after the fantastic experience of flying out of Biggin Hill. Thank you for sharing a very personal flight. Happy Halloween.

Oops I should have told you how to do the AZ wing tips.

1 shave the bottom half of the wing tip flush horizontally with the rest of the inside of the wing - so now you have only half a clipped wing tip

2 turn over and cut with a thin blade along the tip panel line.

3 The chopped tip now aligns with the other portion of the wing perfectly - a light wipe with sandpaper and it's flush ready for the tips.

Hope this helps with future AZ or KP Spitfires!   Next time I should do a photo how-to.

Cheers Will 

PS The easy answer is to only do the clipped planes!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Me envious?

As you are taking off you are wearing the definition of a ‘silly grin’.

Me envious?

I built the AZ low back 16e earlier this year and on the whole it was rather nice. My one niggle was the hollow hole for the exhausts and nowhere to fix them! Yours though looks to be a blind hole?

Me envious?

Too chuffing right I am!

Trevor

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You mena you flew in that beauty and there weren't any guns fitted??

I bet you went Takka Takka Takka in your head though? 

I'm on Night flying practice in a Tiger Moth this week.

(Punishment for tripping over the C.O.'s dog)

Luckily I've filled the front cockpit with popcorn, so I'll be watching from on high, in infra red.

(What is in these pills?)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2