Revell 1/32 Spitfire. Is it a MKIIa or closer to a MKVa?

Rick Brown

Chaps.

Ref the 03986 kit from a couple of years ago.

I remember seeing a few posts discussing this subject, but my question is, would it be cheaper to make this as a MKIIa or a MKVa?

I appreciate it'll need resin correction parts (and decals if I go down the Va route) to make a better version of either, but which should I go for?
Telford coming up and I need to order the bits.....

Rick.

As is, the kit is probably closer to a Mk.Va. It has the metal ailerons and the round oil cooler inlet. Barracudacals does a resin correction set that includes the radiator and its intake ramp; the Revell radiator mounts to flat wing underside. You'll probably want to replace the wheels as well, as the kit supplied ones look odd. Again, Barracudacals has 5-spoke wheels you can use. Most of the issues with the 1/32 kit carried over to their more recent 1/72 scale Spitfire Mk.II.

• Thanks 1

Cheers Chap.

So...

What you're saying is, just buy decals (or more likely masks) and wheels to make it pretty close to a MKVa?

Oh, the spinner/prop will need changing too.

That lot sounds cheaper than trying to make it a MKIIa.

Rick.

26 minutes ago, elger said:

You might want to check the front windscreen which is certainly appropriate for a I or II but maybe not for a V

I don't have the kit but I had a quick squizz at the instructions on the Revell website. I don't think the windscreen would be an issue for a Va as the Revell kit has the armoured windscreen externally which it was on most if not all Vas. One thing though which isn't clear from the instructions but does the canopy include the "pop out" section? It most probably should for a Va but you would have to check references and photos for the specific aircraft.

Tim

Edited by Smithy
Added some more info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I better have a check of the canopy then.

Looking at Hannants, the prop/spinner is pretty darn expensive!

I'll go with the kit option for the time being and change it when funds allow, should be easy enough to pop the old one off after the build.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Rick.

Coming back to the original question, the *cheapest* thing to do with this kit, requring the least aftermarket (providing you can live with the basic too-tubby fuselage cross-section, and frankly most people don't care about that) is to build it as the RAF's surviving IIa, P7350, in BBMF usage in a period fitted with the V components.  Use one of the three Kits World decal sheets available for various incarnations of this very aeroplane (Hannants have them) and check photo refs. Then you won't even need to get rid of the crowbar.

• Thanks 1