1/48 - Westland Dragonfly HR.3/4 & HC.2 by AMP - HC.2 & HR.3 released

Homebee

15 hours ago, Col. said:

Am I the only person who is happy to see this 48th scale kit come about!?! Please keep the good work up Sergey :speak_cool:

No, see posts up to and including #15:P

Can't wait to see their 48th Sycamore either and just hope they follow up with a Whirlwind series! 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Col. said:

Am I the only person who is happy to see this 48th scale kit come about!?

No-one is impying that we would rather have this in another scale, it is that we would also like to see this produced in other scales.  I will buy the 1:48 scale version when it is produced; and I would buy six, maybe more, of a 1:144 scale version if such were to be produced as well.

Mike

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JamesP said:

There was the 1/72 MPM kit, unfortunately OOP but also my stashed one has very yellow vacform glazing!

The MPM kit was a S-51/HOS3 not a Dragonfly. It was over scale for 1/72 and shape wise shall we say, it was well off.

Aerodrom produced a decentish 1/72 Dragonfly.

Personally my view is 1/48 is the right scale for the S-51 and Dragonfly.

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

The MPM kit was a S-51/HOS3 not a Dragonfly. It was over scale for 1/72 and shape wise shall we say, it was well off.

Aerodrom produced a decentish 1/72 Dragonfly.

Personally my view is 1/48 is the right scale for the S-51 and Dragonfly.

Thomo.

Whirlybird Models do a vacform/resin Dragonfly in 1/72, too.

On 22/03/2018 at 21:07, Col. said:

Am I the only person who is happy to see this 48th scale kit come about!?! Please keep the good work up Sergey :speak_cool:

No I am quite happy to see it in 1/48

just got the S-51 and it's a great looking kit.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Whofan said:

Whirlybird Models do a vacform/resin Dragonfly in 1/72, too.

Indeed they do, very good they are too.

They produce both the S-51 and Dragonfly with clear resin fuselages, interior and detail parts including an etched fret to boot.

Thomo.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

Indeed they do, very good they are too.

They produce both the S-51 and Dragonfly with clear resin fuselages, interior and detail parts including an etched fret to boot.

Thomo.

I have 2 in my stash.

I was able to give some help to Whirlybird for one of their decal options, re aircraft that flew off HMS Ocean during the Korean war. 

I am looking forward to the 1/48 models  mentioned here.

That is wonderful news Sergey!  There are quite a few liveries that we can paint them in; I especially like the BEA livery and that would be my first build, followed by a Royal Navy version.

Mike

• Like 1

2 hours ago, praded-dembelya said:

I'm glad that this model was a success. And I plan to re-scale it in the near future on the 72nd scale and in the 144th.

:clap2::yahoo:

On 25/03/2018 at 21:04, bootneck said:

That is wonderful news Sergey!  There are quite a few liveries that we can paint them in; I especially like the BEA livery and that would be my first build, followed by a Royal Navy version.

Mike

BEA livery most definatley.

Thomo.

I've got no clue about Dragonfly marks and nomenclature, so I'd like to ask how much difference is there between this HR.3 and a Mk.4?

There was a crashed Dragonfly in Malaya way back so I'd definitely get one  of these if I can build a Singapore-based machine from the Malayan emergency period.

The HC.4 was in very basic terms the RAF version of the HR.3 which was used by the Royal Navy.  I haven't seen many pictures of HC.4s, but none that I have feature the box addition in the rear under fuselage. 

Looking at the sprues it looks like the HR.3 box part can be left of and that the standard part might be included, the tow items on the right in this photo,

DSC08629_800.jpg

I would be happy to build a HC.4 from the kit.

It looks like a fair portion of the HC.4s suffered accidents in Malaya.

20 hours ago, aidy said:

I've got no clue about Dragonfly marks and nomenclature, so I'd like to ask how much difference is there between this HR.3 and a Mk.4?

There was a crashed Dragonfly in Malaya way back so I'd definitely get one  of these if I can build a Singapore-based machine from the Malayan emergency period.

On a geographically related note, here is a preserved Westland WS.51 Mk 1A Dragonfly in Thai markings.

413830989.jpg

This is closer to a S-51 than HR3/5 and just goes to show one needs to do their research.

Thomo.

• Like 1

Great attention to detail with the earlier rotor blades shape for the HC.2.

I think in theory between these two boxings that all the British Military Dragonflys can be built,  The HC. & HR.1 from one and the HR.3, HC.4 and HR.5 from the other, anyone agree, disagree?

AMP/Mikromir are my favourite manufacturer at the moment!

On 30/03/2018 at 18:31, 71chally said:

The HC. & HR.1 from one and the HR.3, HC.4 and HR.5 from the other, anyone agree, disagree?

In theory, yes.

However, there are a ton of variances even on the same Mk, not to mention between Mks - particulary with respect to (but not restristricted to) the glazing variations and exhaust/grillage arrangements. It was just one of those machines that varied a lot in manufacture as well as having the ubiqutious field mods.

As always it pays to check ones particular references if its possible.

I agree Mikro Mir are doing a fine job, roll on the Sycamore and a red BEA[TLES] straight boom Whirlwind.

Thomo.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 2:50 PM, aidy said:

Can you give any photo, link or anything else relating to the above?

• 5 weeks later...