Valiant prototype

The first of the 'V-bombers' the Vickers Valiant first prototype WB210 flew on 18 May 1951, within the deadline that Vickers had promised, only 27 months since the contract had been issued. On 11 January 1952, WB210 was lost as the result of an in-flight fire on the starboard wing; all of the crew managed to escape the aircraft safely except for the co-pilot, who struck the tail after ejecting. After modifications to the fuel system, replacement of the Sapphire engines fitted to WB210 with the more powerful RA.7 Avons and more rounded air intakes in order to feed sufficient air to the more powerful engines the Valiant served with the RAF for nine years.

The model

The Airfix 1/72 kit of the Valiant is well known and despite a few minor errors is a good kit. To turn the kit into the first prototype required some fairly major surgery and some new parts to be produced. The Work In Progress is here

Finished with Alclad Polished Aluminium and Alclad Aqua Gloss.  Overall I'm happy with it, but glad to get some space back on my desk! I've still got a B1 and the B2 in the stash but they won't need as much work as this one.

resized_b22716a3-d7a4-4c30-b2b4-fae08c60

resized_8bc5bdf2-a284-4806-8ce0-3914df8f

resized_fa99ce6e-13be-4b68-a28a-b53df9d8

resized_dd8d6238-d3ba-4e37-91fc-47720a12

resized_5f9ced8d-f91c-4c06-91c0-52b969ff

resized_5b650c4d-3bba-4ec5-a7e7-f9952b0a

resized_6ebeffcc-ff2d-4387-90e4-2c4abc23

resized_56c77ebc-5384-4d91-8f5d-cc922895

resized_782709c8-ef66-4003-9142-cc62e0fc

Thanks for looking.

Steve

• Like 48

I do not know how I missed your WIP but I did....sorry, but I have now read it and can only conclude I have witnessed a masterclass in modelling. This is one I wish to build so is of great interest to me and the finished model is superb, did you ever find out what was giving the problems with the Alchad, itcertainly increased your workload somewhat. 

If you ever did want to earn some pocket money and make a run of your resin casts I would certainly put my name on a list.

Great work Steve.

Gary.

Thanks everyone, it was a lot of work but I enjoyed doing it.

On 29/10/2017 at 19:29, Head in the clouds. said:

I do not know how I missed your WIP but I did....sorry, but I have now read it and can only conclude I have witnessed a masterclass in modelling. This is one I wish to build so is of great interest to me and the finished model is superb, did you ever find out what was giving the problems with the Alchad, itcertainly increased your workload somewhat. 

If you ever did want to earn some pocket money and make a run of your resin casts I would certainly put my name on a list.

Great work Steve.

Gary.

I've no idea what caused the Alclad to react like that but it did cause a lot of extra work. I wanted to have different tones to the finish but would rather not have had to get them that way!

I'm getting some more resin at Telford to cast some so I can easily do you a set. 

Steve

Thanks

On 03/11/2017 at 04:24, kapam said:

That looks really beautiful.

It evokes that classis period of aviation very nicely.

Love the shiny metal finish!

:goodjob:

So many of the prototypes I'm planning to do need a shiny metal finish but the rest of them are smaller than this one! I used 2 bottles of Alclad on this and with producing the resin parts, it's not been a cheap model to produce compared with one built oob but I've always wanted to do it.

19 hours ago, Gimme Shelter said:

that's a very nice model - very reflective !

Unfortunately because nearly every surface is curved the reflections don't show up as well in the photos as in real life, but I'm pleased with how it looks.

Steve