A6M3 flaps

Magua87

So, I've been working away on the Hasegawa A6M3 Type 22 in 1/72. I managed to grab one of the old school Eduard sets to detail the kit (72-130). It's nothing like a modern zoom kit! Takes a look of work, but looks the part when you get it right. Except, so far, the flaps. 

This is how the flaps are to be assembled according to the instructions.

veoxGBsl.jpg

And these are the parts I have to work with. 

i4T9pq9l.jpg

You're meant to fold one section of the flap and inset into the cut out in the wing. But even before you fold the flap there's a significant gap. I presume you're just meant to leave a section of the wing by the trailing edge with no detail? 

s2ZD5EUl.jpg

For reference, here's a more modern flap set by Eduard for a Zero

Any ideas? 

If I inset the parts in a different order I get a better fit (the gap is mostly due to perspective), but the flap is now a two part piece with a step where the two parts join. 

jhfU4sml.jpg

I'm baffled by this. Have Eduard just plain got this wrong or am I missing something very obvious? 

I don't have either set, but wow the original one looks to have been rushed out the door just to have something on the market.

To me, the center piece looks to be the problem, both in it's design and how the instructions illustrates it's use.  I'd trim off the gate portion and just keep the triangular like section? 

Their newer set also have ribs and parts that actually blank off the interior gap and sides.

regards,

Jack