Aussie P-40N

Winenut

3 hours ago, ArmouredSprue said:

Have you done with the canopy mask?

Where are the photos! C'mopn mate!

It is coming along nice mate

I haven't even started!

Just spent some time polishing and sanding, sanding and polishing, polishing and ........you get it :)

Terribly slow at this game :blink:

5 hours ago, giemme said:

Looks like great progress to me, Bruce! :clap:

Looking forward to priming stage (and fingers crossed for the canopy masking) :)

Ciao

I'll get there eventually I'm sure! :)

Cheers

• Like 1

Since being given the hurry up on the photos I present this..... :blink:

When the build inevitably stalls (as it always does in my case) the modelling lamp comes in extremely handy for keeping my Focaccia dough warm and making sure it rises beautifully.

38371334266_3aa2be577d_b.jpg

Salute! :winkgrin:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

In a faltering effort to keep this WIP alive I have proceeded thus....

The canopy and clear parts are actually quite fine and nicely done.....almost fragile to be honest.

The fit seems to be very good with a dry run.

38376818766_c43ba42e35_b.jpg

My issue is this.

After cutting the clear parts from the sprues I went to sand/tidy up the messy bits that you can see in the photo below

26656348849_17ec551c48_b.jpg

24561381978_557f744295_b.jpg

Happy to get any tips because I sanded first but it was a bit aggressive on the fine/soft/thin canopies.

Then I went for the Tamiya polishing compound with a cotton bud to get rid of the nasty but that didn't seem to work.

At the end of the day the unsightly bits will probably get paint on them and you won't see them but it would be good to know how to "tidy them up" completely prior to assembly and paint........is it just polish and patience???

Anyway I got started with the masking finally!!

38401510552_cc2ec7ba55_b.jpg

And now that I look at the photo...... I realise it's terrible and I will have a crack at it again tomorrow :blink:

For those that were really fascinated the focaccia went on to look like this

38377100116_598945f770_b.jpg

And then this....

38432609191_26e4b98aef_b.jpg

Before it was almost completely devoured by the kids after school and helping with co-ordinate geometry homework got in the way of any additional modelling progress.

For the purists (Giorgio lol!)...... yes...... the focaccia is a little flatter than normal but I make it that way so it will fit in the kids school lunch boxes!

Cheers!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Winenut said:

For the purists (Giorgio lol!)...... yes...... the focaccia is a little flatter than normal but I make it that way so it will fit in the kids school lunch boxes!

:rofl:  :rofl:  It looks perfectly good for a home made focaccia, Bruce :thumbsup:

As for the clear parts: I don't think there is a way (at least I haven't found any, so far) for that kind of problem. The white mark is deep inside the thickness of the part, if this makes sense to you. Normally it's on parts that are then overpainted, so no need to worry.

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It looks good to me

bits of cracks in the clear styrene are amongst the reasons I prefer making my own canopies

We get no control over where the mould maker put his injection gates after all but we can control what gets onto the displayed model

The squareish food thingy

mmmm

looks nice

:Tasty:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, giemme said:

:rofl:  :rofl:  It looks perfectly good for a home made focaccia, Bruce :thumbsup:

As for the clear parts: I don't think there is a way (at least I haven't found any, so far) for that kind of problem. The white mark is deep inside the thickness of the part, if this makes sense to you. Normally it's on parts that are then overpainted, so no need to worry.

Ciao

I really appreciate the clarification on the clear parts Giorgio. (was there an accidental pun there??)

It was driving me crazy. If you haven't found a way to fix it then I'm pretty sure I was never going to!

I can move on now with confidence :speak_cool: 

Cheers

• Haha 1

Hi Bruce

Like said before, that bit will be painted over, so just make sure you sand it flush as best as you can and move on.

It is looking very good. Glad to see you've made some progress with the tedious canopy masking bit.

Cheers

Paulo

• Like 1

The simplest way to remove the clear bits without an ensuing stress mark inside the clear bit is to suse a micro saw, very gently to just slide away a layer at a time

Then a tidy up with a file or sander that causes little or no vibration inside the plastic's structure

But as Armoured Sprue points out the scar is designed to be on the non-visible metal part of the canopyframe on this bird, thus it can be expected to get lost when you finish it

👌

Edited by perdu
  • Like 3

• 5 years later...

Well I think I'm about to resume the longest WIP in history

Let me fill you in on what's happened since Nov 2017....

The whole project sat idle for most of 2018

Then we packed up and cleared out our house in Nov 2018 for a major reno

All modelling was packed up and out of action .....period

We rented a place not far away while our home was gutted, walls knocked out, bathrooms moved, kitchen moved, laundry moved, ceilings replaced, new study/man cave created ......everything internally was replaced (skirtings, picture rails, cornices, new floorboards, architraves, internal doors, new hardware)......you get the picture

We moved back home in Nov 2019

Despite setting up the permanent modelling area in the study/man cave nothing really happened on the P-40

My daughter turned 18 and finished high school in 2021

She has now completed first year of a double law degree at uni and turns 19 in about a month

My son has grown from a young lad at primary school and is now nearly as tall as me and in year 9 at high school, plays electric guitar and went to his first music festival to see Arctic Monkeys with me just the other day

I finally got my mojo back and picked up on the P-40 over the Christmas period late 2022 and my little Aussie P-40 now looks like this...

y4mb5pz7zTi_hb8ILB4WSlMkJS4tJfF1XW0XVwXR 

Main paint done

Tamiya Neutral Grey XF-53, Deep Green XF-26 and Flat White XF-2

Spinner done

Fiddly bits ready

Prop needs some yellow tips

Model gloss coated with Future/Pledge ready for decalling, panel line washes and a bit of weathering....

And so here we are....

It's only been a 5 year build so far 🤪😎

Hopefully the pace will pick up a little from here!!

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 11

That’s great progress and nice to have you back to the bench mate. I was missing your buildings. 
You forgot to mention that the world went crazy in 2020/21. I hope to see it finished soon. Cheers 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ArmouredSprue said:

That’s great progress and nice to have you back to the bench mate. I was missing your buildings. 
You forgot to mention that the world went crazy in 2020/21. I hope to see it finished soon. Cheers 

Thanks Paulo!

Yes a bit of craziness there for a couple of years for everyone

Hopefully I'll finish the P-40 soon but I guarantee..... I won't get impatient or rush it at the end 🤣🤣

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Bell209 said:

Sounds like most of my builds! Looking good now, Bruce.

Thanks for that Rob!

....on the bench a 1/72 Neptune.....wow

Been trying to get my hands on a 1/72 Neptune since I built one in the very late 70's

Man those kit's are hard to come by now

Cheers!

23 minutes ago, Winenut said:

Thanks for that Rob!

....on the bench a 1/72 Neptune.....wow

Been trying to get my hands on a 1/72 Neptune since I built one in the very late 70's

Man those kit's are hard to come by now

Cheers!

There's a bunch of 1/72 Neptunes on evil bay, some for extortion prices, others more reasonable...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Winenut said:

Yeah, mine's a very old boxing that I don't even recall the purchase location of - it's certainly over 30 years old. If you get one, don't get the AM engines or flaps - you'll save yourself a lot of heartache!

• Like 1

Small amount of progress with almost all the decals on......just two to go

For the record the Academy decals with this kit are terrible

Unbelievably thick and leathery and just do not settle down to the surface

Buckets of Micro Sol and Micro Set just applied again and again at least got them to a "reasonable" point

Here's the photo's

y4m0x9kVEWHX5YQmbFr47Jcm63jGN5cWC4RWlEyr 

y4me0xUiBLVt-Z_XHMm9Q02snhhVy_Yww7SKFiXF

Progress has been a bit hindered with the socket to my architects lamp breaking so lighting is just not good enough for my ageing eyes

y4mgJHY1VXB2jbQuJ03_IU0AHLVcSjR9ym0UOBPi

Replacement lamp is over $200....replacement socket is about 3 bucks but you can't get it in Australia anymore 🙄

Can buy it in Europe I think but don't ship down under 🤪

If anyone's got a spare BJB B22d T210 24.602.3904.50 lying around let me know....I'll happily pay for it and postage!!!! 🤣

y4m1dsRq6nIvx9krh-8uodSdcv4snrscd9KYWjRL

Cheers for now

• Like 4