Can anyone ID this Tempest F.6?

Rabbit Leader

All, 

I’ve attached a photograph that is credited to (M.Olmsted) and appears in the Paul Lucas book “RAF Fighters 1945-50 Overseas based. It’s a Tempest F.6 from 249 Squadron with Type D rounders. Just wondering if anyone has been able to ID the serial and fuselage code since this publication first appeared way back when. 

Cheers.. Dave 

37968078522_2c5dbf6ccc_b.jpg

hi  according to Squadron histories by Peter Lewis 1959...I got it cheap on a well known auction site and It's useful.

I digress the squadron id code is GN-

249 gold coast squadron seemed to have a mixi blob of a/c at the time  mustang,tempest and mosquitos.disbanded  Oct 23rd  1945 reformed  same day different role diff a/c . Sorry  I can't find more

In the book "Cold War Shield" Volume 1, Roger Lindsay describes a few 249 Squadron Tempests including NX232/S - Aluminium finish, red/white vertically divided spinner, and a black elephant on a yellow disc on a red panel on the nose.

Could this be the aircraft in the photo with the code "S" in an angular font just visible behind the roundel.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rod mcq said:

In the book "Cold War Shield" Volume 1, Roger Lindsay describes a few 249 Squadron Tempests including NX232/S - Aluminium finish, red/white vertically divided spinner, and a black elephant on a yellow disc on a red panel on the nose.

Could this be the aircraft in the photo with the code "S" in an angular font just visible behind the roundel.

That elephant would tie in with 249 being gold coast squadron I guess

• Like 1

Thanks lads, 

Save for the 1988 Typhoon & Tempest bible, I've pretty much got all of Chris' books on these two Hawker fighters.

I even have Roger Lindsay's Cold War Shield books and am amazed that I didn't even think to look here, so thanks 'rod mcq' NX232/S is a real possibility.

I don't like bugging Chris too much, however may send him a PM in a day or two should he not come across this thread. 

Cheers.... Dave 

Just now, neilfergylee said:

@Rabbit Leader - lucky coincidence but I was just browsing this thread and do have the 1988 volume if that is of use.

Thanks Neil, 

Any chance you could take a quick look in there for 249 Squadron Tempest F.6's that look similar to the photograph above? 

Cheers... Dave 

4 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Thanks Neil, 

Any chance you could take a quick look in there for 249 Squadron Tempest F.6's that look similar to the photograph above? 

Don't rush Neil; I'm afraid you won't find one! 6 and 8 Sqns yes, but not 249.

I do have photos of a couple of other silver 249 F.6s with D type roundels but NX263/M has no badges and NX182/E has neither badges nor the split spinner scheme. NX281 has badge, split spinner plus 39 Sqn's badge on the fin (the previous owner) but no code!

I'm afraid there is not a lot to go on in identifying the Tempest in the above photo. I have a scan of the original and I've been unable to find a serial in the shadows under the wing.  It could be NX284/C, NX177/G, NX252/O or, as suggested NX232/S.  There is a photo of the latter in its original DFS scheme with the single code letter in exactly the same position and style as what is evident in your photo; I would be tempted to go with that.  

One little bonus for marking aficionados - 249's ORB states that the inner surface of the u/c doors (both inner and outer) were decorated with red and white.  In the above photo it seems the upper panel on the outer door is red with white below that.  The marking on the inner door is less clear but another photo shows the front half of the inner surface was white and presumably the rear half was red.

Rabbit Leader, feel free to drop me a PM.

CT

• Thanks 4

@Chris Thomas and @Rabbit Leader, no worries - if you need anything let me know.

As an aside (and I have no idea if I would get drummed-out for offering this), but *somewhere* in my garage I have an excellent 1973 copy of Scale Models with 1/72 plans of Tempest variants.  If  can dig them out, would they be of any interest?

Neil

2 minutes ago, neilfergylee said:

@Chris Thomas and @Rabbit Leader, no worries - if you need anything let me know.

As an aside (and I have no idea if I would get drummed-out for offering this), but *somewhere* in my garage I have an excellent 1973 copy of Scale Models with 1/72 plans of Tempest variants.  If  can dig them out, would they be of any interest?

Neil

I'm good for plans Neil. I've got a copy of Arthur Bentley's Tempest plans which are often quoted as being the bees knees for this subject. 

Thanks for the offer all the same. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Thanks 1