Fw190A-4 THE NEW TOOL 1/48 EDUARD

May I present my rendition of the new tool Eduard 1/48 Fw190A-4. This kit has been built out of the box with only the addition of Master Mg FF gun barrels, a replacement pitot tube (hypodermic needle) & a few detail additions such as brake piping, some extra detail in wheel well. This is a truly superb kit and is an easy build especially in comparison to the older tool 190s of Eduards, the kit as seems to be on a par with the new tool 109s in supplying many spare parts for future variants, which will come in useful building Eduards old tool and other manufacturers 190s.

This kit has rectified the accuracy problems of the previous 190s, the tail fin is now the correct width, cowling shape more accurate & correct width wheels (2 pairs). My only uncertainty is all the recessed rivet detail - overdone??? Being a kit builder of the old school and having probably sanded off thousands of rivets off kits over the years I may be a little bit biased about them!!!

Anyway here she is:-

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D                                                       

img%5D

img%5Dimg%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5Dimg%5D

This photo shows the effect of the rivets after painting:-

img%5D

The rivit detail has not been specifically 'washed' although a panel wash was applied sparingly to the engraved panel lines, judge for yourself whether the rivit detail is a bit much!!

I did not use the kit decals as they were matt finished & I wasn't going to risk trying them on this model, a bit of a retrograde step by Eduard?

For those interested the unusual camouflage scheme came from the small b/w photo above on the right, it is of a Fw190A-4 of 4./JG 2 White 14 inTunisia 1943. I was intrigued by the camouflage scheme which appears to be the standard fighter scheme of RLM 74/75/76 however the 74 has a mottle which appears to be RLM 79? A closer scrutiny of the photo seems to show the lighter colour on the port wing matches the mottle on the RLM 74 so possibly RLM79 ??  The lighter of the colours on the starboard wing is darker than the light colour on the port wing so  that colour could be the original RLM 75??? As the fuselage cross is just plain black could it be when this photograph was taken the aircraft was being repainted with tropical colours??

I have included a photo of my model in b/w to try & justify my conclusions, judge for yourselves!!

I highly recommend this kit  & applaud Eduard for re-tooling their series of 1/48 Fw190s.

Cheers

Andy 

• Like 25

Thanks Andy! A very spectacular machine of the adventure of the JG2 in the Tunisian skies. The rivets are OK to me, and now that Eduard has simplified the building process, the Würger factory is going to be at full speed. Best regards.

Great looking 190, love the paint scheme. I'm not a lover of rivet holes either but knowing how these things are much more noticeable in a good photo I'm sure they look acceptable in the flesh.

What a weird paint job!  Outstanding job, from what I can see.  I think you handled the rivets appropriately, and my opinion based on the evidence that you present is "on the borderline".  From further away there's just a hint, which is good, but some of the close-ups make them look a bit too "oh, let's make sure it has lots of skin detail, 'cause that's what everybody expects!"

I don't know whether it's because it is a short-short-nose (early A, in other words), but it seems to capture the compact and nicely-shaped ethos that I associate with the Fw- at least sometimes!  I'm certainly interested in checking this kit out myself.

I give you an A+.

bob

Many thanks for all your positive comments.

I think I am tending to agree about the rivet detail, the pics. are over emphasising them. Looking at the finished model again in daylight the paint tends to hide most of the rivets but I would myself not use a wash on them. I am certainly looking forward to the future issues of Fw190A-2/3/4/5/6/8 & F-8 but what to do with the Dragon/Revell/ Hasegawa/Tamiya kits in my stash - Evilbay!!!!!!!!

Again many thanks  for your comments.

Cheers

Andy   :drink:

gorgeous build, makes me want to really really get that kit (Eduween sale on now...)

one  tip from an ex photographer, if there is a lot of white in the frame, increase exposure by up to 2 stops to correct the camera from trying to compensate (make it darker)